The forbidden word
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:37:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The forbidden word
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The forbidden word  (Read 1058 times)
Shira

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2004, 02:14:41 AM »

Prediction:
During the Republican convention you won't hear the word "Abortion" even one single time.

The word "Gay" will be rare and not in prime time.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 06:09:40 AM »

Prediction:
During the Republican convention you won't hear the word "Abortion" even one single time.

The word "Gay" will be rare and not in prime time.

You probably won't hear "Stem Cell" either. That is the one wedge issue the Democrats have the advantage on.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 10:52:56 AM »

Kinda like "Bush" and "voting record" were the forbidden democrat words.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 12:14:27 PM »

I don't know if gay marriages or abortion are bad things to mention.  Bush had had pretty good success with his wedge issues so far (except for the ammendment).
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 12:18:17 PM »

I predict the abortion issue will come up multiple times in the RNC.  You may be right that Bush will not use the words "abortion" or "gay", but I think you will hear both on low-media days.  I'm not sure if Cheney will address either issue in his speech.

Abortion in general divides the electorate about 50/50.  Polls often show a 60/40 split, but that split occurs either way, depending on how the question is phrased.  Neither party is willing to address the general abortion question--the DNC was controlled enough that I didn't see a single "keep abortion safe & legal" sign on the floor.

However, the abortion debate can be split in such a way that it favors one party over the other.  The issue of stem cell research heavily favors Democrats and was brought up multiple times at the DNC.  Partial birth abortion favors Republicans by similar ratios and will likely be referred to multiple times at the RNC.

Gay marriage is opposed by a substantial majority of voters, as shown in several polls over the last two years.  "Civil unions" gets 50/50 support, as does "benefits for domestic partners".  "Gay marriage" will likely come up in the RNC in a more prominent way than you expect.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies