Pope Francis: Church could support civil unions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:03:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis: Church could support civil unions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis: Church could support civil unions  (Read 2489 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:09:25 PM »

Although I disagree with the notion that state recognition of unions (whatever you want to call them) should be termed differently based on whether it's a heterosexual or homosexual union, it's hard to really ask for more from the Pope.

Of course I'd also welcome church recognition of same-sex unions, but it's more important to not stand in the way of equality before the law, as a first step.

Francis continues to impress at any rate.
Yes, Francis is extremely good as Pope. I hope some former catholic, who are now atheist, will rejoin the Church. I definitely being a catholic with this pope!

Why would an atheist become Catholic again? Having a more tolerable Pope won't cause someone to start believing in God.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »

What's actually the most absurd about that is he even refers to economic issues as well. Santorum basically flat out states Republicans should talk about cutting Social Security and benefits for working people to pay for tax cuts for the rich...but talk like Francis while doing it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »

Anyway, I'll admit Francis probably isn't much more significantly opposed to gay marriage than your average 77-year old. But I don't expect much to come out of this. How much you want to bet the local Catholic church doesn't spend millions of dollars in a campaign opposing gay marriage in the next state where it's an issue or there's a vote on it?

The Catholic Church is also WAY different than the Episcopal church on this in that it's not really just about homosexuality to them. The Catholic Church holds all non-procreative sexual acts to be sinful. This is something no Protestant denomination that's evolved has had to deal with. The Catholic Church would have to repeal this first before even thinking of tolerating homosexuality. And it's a bit too embedded and rooted in Catholic doctrine for now, I don't expect it within 30-40 years. The most change I can see happening during Francis' term is the church might state that it's OK for married couples to use condoms if pregnancy would pose health risks to the woman. That doesn't go anywhere near enough to even start of talking about saying homosexual unions are OK.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies