Honest question here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:38:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Honest question here (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Honest question here  (Read 908 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: November 14, 2016, 12:32:28 PM »

Some of the upset is because although everyone did know the rules going in, it was treated as merely a formality or technicality due to the expectation that the popular and electoral vote would go the same way.

I would argue that the way we talk about the election implies this, too. For example, we say the "Presidential election happened on Nov. 8", when the election doesn't happen until December. We say "I voted for Trump" when we actually voted for an elector. Your vote doesn't directly go to Trump or Hillary; it goes to an elector.

I would say an analogous situation is one candidate winning the popular vote in the primary but the other winning a delegate majority. If Bernie had won more votes in the D primary, but it was overturned by the delegates, I have no question many would not have accepted the result and the Convention would have been bedlam, despite everyone knowing the rules ahead of time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies