Chicago-area accent - a relative of the Minnesota accent? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:21:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Chicago-area accent - a relative of the Minnesota accent? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chicago-area accent - a relative of the Minnesota accent?  (Read 5021 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 04, 2015, 03:10:59 AM »

I had always thought of Chicago as being the most accent-neutral part of the country and for the most part it is. But I've heard an accent, especially from the older generation there, that, when I first heard it, sounds like a WI/MN accent. Does anyone else notice this?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »

Chicago, like many cities around the Great Lakes, has the Northern Cities Vowel Shift.  Its spread is something like this, although I've usually seen a tendril extend to St. Louis:

Although Minnesota is starting to be affected by some of the changes that occurred in the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, it also has some differences of its own from surrounding locations, as well as some changes that are oozing in from the west.  I'd put the dividing line between the dialect that characterizes Minneapolis and the dialect that characterizes Chicago at somewhere around Eau Claire.  See also Benson, Fox, and Balkman (2011).

would you say Jim Sensenbrenner has the typical Northern Cities Vowel Shift dialect?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies