Mid-Decade Redistricting in Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 03:02:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mid-Decade Redistricting in Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mid-Decade Redistricting in Ohio  (Read 2881 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 07:13:58 PM »

An interesting plan. Smiley

One restriction I see is that no county can have more than two partial districts. Have you looked to see if this impacts your plan?
One thing I hadn't checked whether there was a strong relationship between persons voting in 2004 and the 2000 census population, which might make it harder to equalize population and voting strength.

Statewide, there was 0.496 votes per 2000 census population.  Most counties were around that range.  There were two significant outliers.

Delaware County had 0.731 votes/person.  Delaware is a suburban county north of Columbus, and the voting total reflects population growth since the census.

The next highest county Warren County, a NE suburb of Cincinnati at 0.596.  The other counties with high ratios are also suburban, often those further away from the central cities, which may just now be transforming from rural to suburb or exurb.

The lowest ratio was 0.288 votes/person in Holmes County which is a rural area in the East Central part of the state.  Is this an Amish area?   The only other explanation that I can think of would be a prison?  It is very strongly Republican.

The next lowest ration 0.413 votes/person.  These were all rural areas.  There is a cluster of several counties immediately S/SW of Columbus.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 08:16:54 AM »

To shave the percentages that close, it's important to identify the races that will used to determine voting strength. As I understand the nitiative, if approved, it would be active in 2007. That means that the 2006 statewide election would be included.

The Presidential races in 2000 and 2004 were close (51.8% and 51.1%) in the two party vote. The Governor's race in 2002 was not close. I see that there was a close race for Treasurer in 2002 (53.3%), but I don't know if the down ballot statewide races are included for finding the three closest in the previous 8 years.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 08:57:40 AM »

Maybe it's just me, but gerrymandering a state to get competative districts doesn't make a lot of sense... why not just draw fair districts? It's not like that's especially hard... Roll Eyes
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 12:45:13 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but gerrymandering a state to get competative districts doesn't make a lot of sense... why not just draw fair districts? It's not like that's especially hard... Roll Eyes
You're not from around here, are you Tongue

The preamble of the proposal states that fair elections are the fundamental foundation of democracy, and then essentially equates "fair" and "competitive (wherever possible)".  I am suggesting that it is possible to maximize the number of competitive districts by drawing districts stretching from Akron to Lima, and Youngstown to Chillicothe (wherever), and that considerations such as splitting counties, townships, and communities of interest are absolutely secondary to competitiveness.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2005, 01:26:51 PM »

You're not from around here, are you Tongue

Grin

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No problem with that

Ah... now how'd they come up with that one Huh
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 09:01:49 PM »

To shave the percentages that close, it's important to identify the races that will used to determine voting strength. As I understand the initiative, if approved, it would be active in 2007. That means that the 2006 statewide election would be included.
The commission is required to provide county, township, and voting precinct population values to persons interested in submitting plans.  I don't know if there is a geographic component implied, but it would be reasonable to include a simple application, that would permit clicking on an area and have vote totals accumulated.  This would facilitate generation of submitted plans in a format that the commission staff could aggregate and provide to the public.

A different set of elections would change the plan, and perhaps the highest score possible, but I am confident that the maximum score would result when districts are taken right to the breakpoints of 0%, 5%, and 15%.

The measure calls for three closest non-judicial federal or state statewide elections (including the presidential race).   Judicial candidates are nominated by parties, but don't appear under the party labels.   Federal elections would include senatorial races (the last two weren't close).   Races would include those in which the two major party candidates received 90% of the vote, but the partisan index would be based on the candidate share of the two-party vote (which is the figure you have used above for the presidential races).

How the 3 closest races would be determined is ambigiuous.  It could be interpreted as measuring the margin based on percentage or on based on absolute vote totals.   Selecting the elections on the basis of percentage is consistent with how the partisan index is derived.  But a more literal interpretation would base it on the absolute vote totals, which could result in down-ballot state races being used because of lower turnout.  The 90% criteria could also come into play.  If 3rd party candidates receive almost 10% of the vote, the percentage margin to the 2-party vote will be widened slightly over the percentage margin of all candidates votes.

Text of relevant section of proposal:

Section 4. (E) The “three closest general elections” means the three general elections for non-judicial statewide federal or state office, including the offices of president and vice president of the United States, held in any of the four previous even-numbered years immediately preceding the year in which the independent redistricting commission must adopt a redistricting plan under this Article, in which the statewide margin of victory between the partisan candidates with the highest and second-highest vote totals was the narrowest and in which such candidates received combined votes equal to at least ninety percent of the votes cast for all candidates for the office.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies