Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 03:39:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship  (Read 11563 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« on: August 17, 2015, 10:06:39 PM »

This is another example of Walker trying to out conservative everyone by taking far right positions on the issues.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:23:23 AM »

Trump is really going off the deep end, he must be stopped before we lose the Hispanic vote forever. This is a losing issue for himself and us as a party.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 05:24:53 AM »

Frankly, at this point the preponderance of evidence seems to be that Trump's objective here is screwing the GOP and helping Hillary.

A hard line against illegal immigration is what Republican Primary voters want.

IF the GOP had pushed construction of the Border Fence, IF the GOP had pressured the Justice Department to prosecute Mayors who ignore Federal Law and set up "Sanctuary Cities", and IF folks with children born here in the US were deported after giving birth, with the mother choosing between giving the child up for adoption or the child returning home to the country the mother came from, most folks would think something was being done.  The disconnect on this issue between talk and action is huge.

I believe that a lot of anger from Hispanics toward the GOP would cease if the GOP would stop doing other things, such as pushing the "English as the official language" nonsense and lamenting constantly how nowadays folks have to "press 1 for English", etc.  That's the part that DOES very much reflect racial/ethnic bigotry and is wrong.  But such a step would need to also be accompanied by immigration practices that encourage the ASSIMILATION of immigrants, as was the case with our Ellis Island immigrants.

51% of GOP voters polled support a pathway to citizenship for those here illegally.

I think sanctuary cities should be defunded, but deporting people costs $12,500 per person. We should do everything we can to make sure the border is secure but the reality is, we are doing a good job. Illegal border crossings are down because we doubled border agents under the previous administration. Up until somewhat recently, I was for building a wall. I have since changed my position because of the success of deploying more national guard to the border and because of tunnels that can be built under the wall. My position is similar to Jeb Bush's - I'm against the Dream Act which he is for, but I'm for a pathway to legal status, a temporary worker program, and employment verification. The bill Marco Rubio, Bob Menendez, and others were a part of a few years back was a good bill EXCEPT for it skipped over a pathway to legal status right for citizenship. If that language had been changed, which should have been negotiated, it would be a good bill. But there are some, such as Ted Cruz, who do not look at the facts or work well with others. They just play politics.

I don't speak Spanish or any language. I believe that english should be the official language of government, but I also don't have a problem if people communicate in other languages. If a private company wants to have multiple language options, that is fine. I don't believe it is bigoted to want English to be the official language of the United States government, what is bigoted is to demonize people because english is their second language. Frankly, to me, this is a non-issue. I agree with you, some spend too much time on this issue.

In my mind, the key to winning hispanic votes is by showing up, listening, and then talking. It's not only proposing policies, it's understanding that this nation has multiple cultures, that people from South America have a unique culture, and I think elected officials should be exposed to the concerns and cultures of all people. You have to treat people with dignity and not just as potential voters. You have to show that you have heart, not just mind.

For once I actually agree with dudeabides on something....that's scary.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies