Why Do You Believe? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:39:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why Do You Believe? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Do You Believe?  (Read 5439 times)
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« on: October 08, 2015, 07:33:16 AM »

I believe, because, despite what your post claims, there is not overwhelming evidence against my belief. You seem to claim to have evidence that God definitely does not exist. What is that evidence?
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »

Well it is certainly impossible to prove there is no god.

Faith is the bridge between evidence and seeing.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »

I believe, because, despite what your post claims, there is not overwhelming evidence against my belief. You seem to claim to have evidence that God definitely does not exist. What is that evidence?

Would you accept any of this as evidence?:
  • Supposedly historical stories in several religions contradicted by modern science (Egyptologists seeing no evidence of Exodus where it should be; geologists seeing no evidence of a global flood where it should be; biologists seeing evolution when they should be seeing creation; etc.)
  • Archaeological evidence of the development of religions from others, for example, ancient Judaism being pretty clearly an offshoot of Canaanite polytheism rather than the other way around like the Bible says
  • Comparative religion and sociological studies showing religious stories developing from cultures with irreconcilable contradictions, quite unlike a world where a religious truth exists beyond culture
  • Evolutionary psychology's paradigm of humans as storytelling creatures, and since contradictory gods are based around different stories depending on the culture, this is evidence that gods are more likely to be products of this storytelling tendency than humans are to be products of a god
  • Every "God of the gaps" argument made historically has failed up until now

They could be used as part of an argument about the unlikelihood of the existence of a god or specific gods.
You might have written the second one a bit clumsily but as it is written it in my view misrepresents what the Bible says.
The fourth point is interesting, but when you use to say it is "more likely" then it is hardly overwhelming evidence.
People are quite capable of believing in a god and a diversity of life formed by the processes of evolution, so evolution is not an argument against the existence of a god in and of itself.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »

Well it is certainly impossible to prove there is no god.

Few atheists would outright endorse the claim "it is certain there is no god"; most religious people, by most accounts I've seen, endorse the claim "it is certain there is a god."  Most atheists would instead endorse the claim "it is not reasonable to be certain there is a god."  In any case, "you can't prove this isn't true" isn't a particularly coherent reason to affirmatively believe something.

Of course, just because something cannot be proven to be false is no reason in itself to believe it be true without there being anything to indicate that it might be true.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies