Why does the left have to create such racist cartoons? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 08:08:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why does the left have to create such racist cartoons? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does the left have to create such racist cartoons?  (Read 8624 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: November 18, 2004, 12:09:48 PM »

the third one is definitely racist.  the second has some language that some will, no doubt, find racist.  I'm not seeing how the first one can be construed that way, though.

I like good racist humor, myself.  I'm sure many others do as well, which explains the popularity of South Park, Spike Lee films, political cartoons, etc.

Clearly, they're not as bad as they were at one time.  Take a look at the caricatures of the Jap soldiers in 40s cartoons, sometime.  Now those guys had vision!

I'd agree that the third one crosses the line between good taste and inappropriate racism.  There's an appropriate venue for racism (e.g., comedy central, the cartoon network, HBO, ...), and there are other venues where it isn't appropriate (the morning newspaper, TIME magazine, National Geographic, ...)  I'd like to know where Danziger is publishing.  That makes all the difference, IMHO.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 12:29:37 PM »

Oh, I hope this isn't going to turn into a "I can outdo you" thread.  Seriously, the right has its share of high-quality, hilarious humor as well.  Not just racist, either, there's sexist, racist, ethno-religious, classist, etc. humor floating around out there.  Some of it really funny.  But we've all seen examples and we can discuss it without resorting to a my-side-can-come-up-with-funnier-insensitive-material-than-yours-can contest.

Anyone see Family Guy last night?  Hilarious!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 12:36:53 PM »

...because I'm pretty sure my side can kick your side's ass.  Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 05:31:24 PM »

I kinda like the first one.  They go downhill after that.

Clever racist humor is welcome.  Lame racist humor sucks, same as all lame humor.  I think that's pretty much the lesson here.

good racist humor:

"Yo, I'm so white that during the riots I went out and bought a T.V."
     --Bobby Hill

lame racist humor:

"white people have skinny asses."
     --Budasac

see the difference?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 05:49:06 PM »

why is racist humor so damn funny?

Mr. Manning may have an answer for us.  For the uninitiated, an analysis:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1972565.stm
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 05:52:29 PM »

Humour has always helped understanding. Better to laugh than to fight. Political correctness here only drives tribalism underground -- where it festers.
 --Alex Dryden, Canada

intriguing point of view.  Everyone knows Canadians are pussies, but they can be prescient.  Does Dryden speak for all Canadians?  I doubt it.  But his comments speak for me.  Thoughts?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 02:18:23 PM »

that last one is downright creepy. 

(we get it:  BITCH, in the literal sense, but the gynomorphic dog is too wierd.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies