Will any senate republican vote for Obama's Health Care Plan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:22:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will any senate republican vote for Obama's Health Care Plan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will any senate republican vote for Obama's Health Care Plan?  (Read 2579 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »

Just curious.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »

Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins, maybe.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »

A couple Republicans maybe but that's it, probably the senators in Maine as JohnnyLongtorso pointed out.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »

Only the Maine Senators, and probably only Snowe, who has said she's open to a public plan.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »

they all might as well vote for it.

after obama lets the conservative democrats piss all over it, it wont be much of a 'reform' plan.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:20:58 PM »

I don't get why people still want Snowe in the GOP.  I mean seriously, if she's not going to be with us on social issues, at least get on board with economic ones.  Does she hold any conservative positions?
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »

I don't get why people still want Snowe in the GOP.  I mean seriously, if she's not going to be with us on social issues, at least get on board with economic ones.  Does she hold any conservative positions?

I don't mind, as long as she votes with the democrats I hope people keep her in. Wink
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »

aren't you somewhat against the GOP on social issues?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »

Somewhat although I am 100% pro-life, but continue on and read the rest, I encourage you
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »

Somewhat although I am 100% pro-life, but continue on and read the rest, I encourage you
Well you did use us like you had a problem with her social positions as well.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »

Well you did use us like you had a problem with her social positions as well.
I obviously do have a problem with her social views, but that doesn't change the fact that I have a few squabbles with conservatives on social issues, although they are not issues that routinuely come before the senate (drugs, etc)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »

Only the Maine Senators, and probably only Snowe, who has said she's open to a public plan.

And who also says that she disapprove of the Democrats "railroading" the bill through congress.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »

Depends on what is in the final bill.  If the final bill reflects most of the commitments made in the Senate finance committee and doesn't include a public option, it should get the votes of all the Republicans on the finance committee (Grassley might vote against it anyway, he is that way) and might pick up the votes of a few more moderates.  If, on the other hand, the final version of the bill includes a public option, it will not reach a 60-vote threshold  (three Senate Democrats are currently opposed to the public option), and that would force a very ugly reconciliation process.  So, just ballpark, a reform bill without a public option has a chance of getting 66 votes, a reform bill with a public option will get dragged through reconciliation will get about 53-55 votes.   
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »

Depends on what is in the final bill.  If the final bill reflects most of the commitments made in the Senate finance committee and doesn't include a public option, it should get the votes of all the Republicans on the finance committee (Grassley might vote against it anyway, he is that way) and might pick up the votes of a few more moderates.  If, on the other hand, the final version of the bill includes a public option, it will not reach a 60-vote threshold  (three Senate Democrats are currently opposed to the public option), and that would force a very ugly reconciliation process.  So, just ballpark, a reform bill without a public option has a chance of getting 66 votes, a reform bill with a public option will get dragged through reconciliation will get about 53-55 votes.   

Pretty much. That'll learn 'em!
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies