Abortion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:37:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Abortion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 6550 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: February 19, 2012, 02:30:32 AM »

This will end well...

Ok, let me just ask this for starters: Are you an atheist?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:43:55 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2012, 03:04:21 AM by realisticidealist »

This will end well...

Ok, let me just ask this for starters: Are you an atheist?

It might be a bad idea but it's entertaining and gives me food for thought. Tongue

Yes. Spirituality is non-existent in my life.

I only ask because I used to be an atheist for a good portion of my life in middle and high school. I still cared a lot about philosophy and ethics and stuff though even though I simply didn't see any reason to believe in a God. For me, my nontheistic philosophy was built on the idea that this is the only life we have, there is no other, and that the meaning of life was found in doing what you love and helping other people through our short journey together.

Most of the time, I was pretty into humanist ideas and embraced most socially liberal positions. But one thing bugged me. If life was this thing that everyone only got one shot at and that it's all we really had, than shouldn't it be the thing most worth protecting and promoting? Obviously things like pacifism, anti-war, anti-death penalty and the like appealed to me for this reason, but when I thought about abortion I had to ask myself: Whether or not a fetus is a person, it certainly will be one at some point, and all of us alive inevitably trace our origins back to being one ourselves. It's a part of life just as any other stage of development is. If life is the most precious thing in existence, then why should we intentionally and forcefully deny anyone the chance to live? Why should we not allow everyone to live, love, and add their own beauty to the world and our short time in it? At least under a religious mindset, an aborted fetus would have some afterlife. But without such, isn't the denial of a life, especially one already growing on its only trip, that much more cruel?

That's how I looked at it anyway. Even now as I'm not an atheist, my pro-life sentiments are still built around this same core.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies