Spreading To Germany? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:31:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Spreading To Germany? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spreading To Germany?  (Read 854 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »

Dude, their position is awesome, aside from their mental position. Even the healthiest person in the world will die if he points a loaded gun at his own head and pulls the trigger.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »

Dude, their position is awesome, aside from their mental position. Even the healthiest person in the world will die if he points a loaded gun at his own head and pulls the trigger.

How many times do I have to point out that their way overleveraged banking system is very, very weak.

All the banks over there are weakening, but there are obvious reasons for that- central bank policy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:31:31 PM »

How many times do I have to point out that their way overleveraged banking system is very, very weak.

All the banks over there are weakening, but there are obvious reasons for that- central bank policy.

Well they were allowed to lever up and their tier one is sovereign debt that is very risky right now.

Once you add the banking risk onto the total government Debt to GDP Germany no longer looks like that great of a sovereign risk any more. They work worse than the US for example.

But sovereign debt wouldn't be a problem if the ECB were to intervene, hence bank debt wouldn't be a problem. And in any case, Debt to GDP by itself is not an accurate predictor of crisis. If it were, Japan would have been hit first, and Spain would have been one of the last.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »

Always coming back to the ECB is the magic bullet, eh?

Yes. I've been pretty much making the same point for over a year now. During that time, I have been joined by numerous individuals, including Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman, Chairman of the Financial Services Authority Adair Turner, noted economist Barry Eichengreen, US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, Nomura Securities head of research Richard Koo, French Finance Minister Francois Baroin, former Bank of England policy maker and Citi chief economist Willem Buiter, Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny, Polish Finance Minister Jacek Rostowski, IG Markets analyst Soledad Pellon, Barclays Capital economist Antonio Garcia Pascual, the editorial boards at both the Economist and Bloomberg Businesweek, and many, many more.

When I started pushing it a year ago hardly anyone was agreeing with me. Now, many, many people are, but not the ones who matter.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Exactly, there are many other factors. And it's not just an incomplete catalyst predictor, it's also an incomplete predictor, period. When Argentina defaulted in 2001, its debt to GDP ratio was only 65%. Many countries have had higher ratios than that and eventually brought it much lower. Even if you look at a single predictor, there are many better ones out there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies