Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:08:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders now attacking Planned Parenthood and the HRC  (Read 4413 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 20, 2016, 02:34:19 AM »

It's widely known that the Bill Clinton acquiesced to Don't Ask Don't Tell to help alleviate discrimination of closeted service member and the Defense of Marriage Act in order to prevent it from becoming a constitutional amendment. He was an enthusiastic supporter of neither, but he didn't let the perfect become the enemy of the good, especially in the case of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:42:14 AM »

It's widely known that the Bill Clinton acquiesced to Don't Ask Don't Tell to help alleviate discrimination of closeted service member and the Defense of Marriage Act in order to prevent it from becoming a constitutional amendment. He was an enthusiastic supporter of neither, but he didn't let the perfect become the enemy of the good, especially in the case of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

There was zero talk of a constitutional amendment on SSM in 1996. He bragged about passing it when running for election. The claim that they had to do it is completely dishonest. And a majority of Democrats voted against the terrible DADT. Neither was good at all.
Don't Ask, Don't Tell was definitely an improvement over the anti-gay witch-hunts that had characterized the military until then.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »

Hillary is a feminist icon for a reason.

Why she is a gay icon, however, remains mystifying.

Not really. Gay men automatically identify and rally for the underdog, especially someone who we feel has been unfairly treated by "straight" society. It is obvious how Clinton fills this role, and why so many are lukewarm on Sanders, who is just another straight old white guy.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:38:48 PM »

Really?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:58:41 PM »

I think we are to the point in the campaign where Sanders is starting to sound like a broken record in his dedication to staying on message, regardless of the question. And of course, when you have little interesting to say beyond a few talking points, your answers don't always end up being the most polished. This is definitely a gaff and is ripe for an attack ad imo.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »

Bernie's supporters are causing much more harm then good on the HRC facebook page. Lots of abusive and downright nasty comments towards the group singularly most responsible for equal rights for gay people in the United States.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »

The Hillary campaign doesn't need facts to attack. They can just make something up like he's sexist,  wants to dismantle ObamaCare,, or his healthcare plan will cost $18 trillion.
I mean, normally when we talk about the "cost" of a policy, we talk about the cost over 10 years, and single payer healthcare would definitely cost way over 18 trillion dollars. His (sketchy) estimation is that it will cost just under 41 trillion, but a more realistic estimation is somewhere around 50-60 trillion dollars.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 11:45:07 PM »

Bernie's supporters are causing much more harm then good on the HRC facebook page. Lots of abusive and downright nasty comments towards the group singularly most responsible for equal rights for gay people in the United States.

I see you ignored my piece about DOMA on the previous page, and how the Clintons didn't start selling the whole "it was passed to prevent something worse from happening" narrative until last year; that it was instead signed to ameliorate re-election concerns in 1996. Other than giving speeches to LGBT-friendly organizations and engaging in intangible diplomatic discussions, both Clintons have next to no record on pushing for or achieving equal (LGBT) rights. Where do you get this?
HRC being the Human Rights Campaign. I didn't respond to your comment about DOMA since it's a tired argument that basically amounts to a "he said, she said." Also, "next to no record" definitely ignores Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which was major progress for the rights of gay people in the military.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 11:58:14 PM »

I'm not rewriting history in regards to Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Bill Clinton campaigned on lifting the ban on gay service members in 1992, and Don't Ask, Don't Tell was a compromise to go around Congress to attempt to end the culture of fear and intimidation in the service.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 12:18:03 AM »

I guess every time I change my mind, I'm a dirty flip flopper.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 12:41:27 AM »

The two aren't mutually exclusive, but it doesn't really matter. You're ignoring most of the information available to you so that you can come to the conclusion you most want to be true, so I don't see the point in arguing with you about this anymore. I'd rather hear your thoughts on Sanders healthcare plan, which were conspicuously absent from the thread on it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies