Warren/Sanders supporters: How do you get your agenda enacted into law? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:06:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Warren/Sanders supporters: How do you get your agenda enacted into law? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Warren/Sanders supporters: How do you get your agenda enacted into law?  (Read 1033 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: November 14, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »

I have a sincere question for Warren and Sanders supporters: If your candidate is elected president, what do you expect him/her to get accomplished on a legislative base? Or how do they get stuff done? Let's take Medicare-for-all and abolishion of private insurance as a prime example. And my point is not whether I support or oppose it or think Joe Biden's plan is better. How do you guys, who know a bit about Washington, envision this item to get passed? Let's be honest: In a best case 2020 outcome, the Democrats retake the senate just barely 50-50 or 51-49. The current House might be longshot for such legislation already, but the senate? No way. Even without the filibuster and and the optimistic above outcome, it's very, very unlikely. Just remember how difficult Obamacare was, and Democrats had large majorities in congress in 2009. Bernie and Liz want reforms that go much deeper than that and would have a much smaller majority, if any, on Capitol Hill.

Now Bernie said he would campaign against these senators, but how will this work in red-leaning or red states? You really think Joe Manchin and others will be impressed whether Bernie does a rally in West Virginia, North Carolina or Arizona? The same with the Green New Deal, a billionaire tax or having all student loans forgiven/100% tuition free college. It's just not going to happen. Even if Joe Biden is elected, he needs a favorable senate and all his political skills to get a public option for Obamacare done.

The only things that have a shot in my honest opinion is infrastructure and some form of campaign finance reform. Maybe immigration. I think it will be a huge risk if Bernie and Liz make all these promises, get elected and can't deliver on them. And not because they didn't try or because they're as fraudulent as Trump was with his phony promises in 2016, but because political realities are different. They will get the blame if it comes to that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies