Fedgov Trying to Steal Family Farm in VT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:35:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fedgov Trying to Steal Family Farm in VT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Fedgov Trying to Steal Family Farm in VT  (Read 2664 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 03:07:24 PM »

I feel for the Rainvilles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that eminent domain is supposed to be used for.  Now if the government were using it get the land to build a shopping center for Canadians taking advantage of the strong loonie, I'd be upset, but not with an expanded border station.

So you think stealing a family farm to build some government police station is justified?

For the last time YES.

You don't have to keep drawing it out after every "there's nothing wrong with this."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

$39,500 an acre is probably a lot more than that struggling old farm is worth.  If anything, these guys are stealing from the government.

Please go read the Constitution before you use it to defend things that defy it.

That is a disgusting sentiment. Perhaps they will come for your property next.

As long as you are being compensated, who cares? Now of course a lot of these places have special attachments to people and that cannot be paid off by the government. So yeah, it's not a black or white issue. But usually if the owners are compensated properly, I don't mind.

When a robber robs you, it doesn't matter that he gives you something else to take away that you valued less than what was stolen.

Are we to conclude from this that you're opposed to eminent domain on principle?

I'm pretty much opposed to armed robbery as a matter of principle, yes.

Despite it being enshrined in the Constitution?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 03:08:23 PM »

I feel for the Rainvilles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that eminent domain is supposed to be used for.  Now if the government were using it get the land to build a shopping center for Canadians taking advantage of the strong loonie, I'd be upset, but not with an expanded border station.

So you think stealing a family farm to build some government police station is justified?

For the last time YES.

You don't have to keep drawing it out after every "there's nothing wrong with this."

$39,500 an acre is probably a lot more than that struggling old farm is worth.  If anything, these guys are stealing from the government.

Please go read the Constitution before you use it to defend things that defy it.

If they offered to buy my car for more money than my car is worth, I'd gladly invite them to come for my property.  I bet there's plenty of home owners right now that would take more than market value for their house right now.

It's not like their stealing their farm, either.  They're taking five freaking acres and paying that family probably more money than they'd earn off of it in 10 years of cultivating.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »

I feel for the Rainvilles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that eminent domain is supposed to be used for.  Now if the government were using it get the land to build a shopping center for Canadians taking advantage of the strong loonie, I'd be upset, but not with an expanded border station.

For the last time YES.

$39,500 an acre is probably a lot more than that struggling old farm is worth.  If anything, these guys are stealing from the government.

If they offered to buy my car for more money than my car is worth, I'd gladly invite them to come for my property.  I bet there's plenty of home owners right now that would take more than market value for their house right now.

It's not like their stealing their farm, either.  They're taking one freaking acre and paying that family probably more money than they'd earn off of it in 10 years of cultivating.

The farmers clearly value the land more than the amount of money being offered. This is not a fair transaction but a theft.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »

For the last time YES.

It's not like their stealing their farm, either.  They're taking five freaking acres and paying that family probably more money than they'd earn off of it in 10 years of cultivating.

Well, maybe due to the loss of that acre they won't be able to run the farm in the most efficient way. I suspect they would just have to change the way they run things to again make it efficient. In the worst case they might have to sell the farm. It would be sad but they still get more than compensated for their property.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »

For the last time YES.

Well, maybe due to the loss of that acre they won't be able to run the farm in the most efficient way. I suspect they would just have to change the way they run things to again make it efficient. In the worst case they might have to sell the farm. It would be sad but they still get more than compensated for their property.

Or they could use the money to buy five acres from their neighbor.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 03:18:06 PM »

The farmers clearly value the land more than the amount of money being offered. This is not a fair transaction but a theft.

No, they clearly value money.  They drop a little historical anecdote in there, but their main point is the money they need to make on that five acres.  They obviously just want more compensation and this is how they plan on going at it.

Chances are the feds will deem an increased monetary offer to be more cost effective than legal proceedings and a publicity show and the family will be satisfied.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »

No, they clearly value money.  They drop a little historical anecdote in there, but their main point is the money they need to make on that five acres.  They obviously just want more compensation and this is how they plan on going at it.

Chances are the feds will deem an increased monetary offer to be more cost effective than legal proceedings and a publicity show and the family will be satisfied.

They value the land, and the wealth it can produce, more than the money being offered.

But like any mafia, the government has made them an offer they can't refuse.

justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »

I feel for the Rainvilles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that eminent domain is supposed to be used for.  Now if the government were using it get the land to build a shopping center for Canadians taking advantage of the strong loonie, I'd be upset, but not with an expanded border station.

I would think it was justified if it was actually a well traveled road...It's a useless waste of money.  They should just close down the crossing.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »

Each instance of eminent domain needs judged on a case by case basis.

I know here, they're tearing down about 15 buildings that have been vacant and dangerous since I was a  young lad, in order to widen a dangerous stretch of roadway.    In that case I support it......

I'm not sure about this case because I don't have all the facts.  It's possible it's being wrongly used.

Again, it's with us and it's not going away.........
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2010, 03:51:28 PM by SvenssonRS »

For the last time YES.

As long as you are being compensated, who cares? Now of course a lot of these places have special attachments to people and that cannot be paid off by the government. So yeah, it's not a black or white issue. But usually if the owners are compensated properly, I don't mind.

When a robber robs you, it doesn't matter that he gives you something else to take away that you valued less than what was stolen.

A robber usually gives you something in exchange? Do you even live in the real world?

Roll Eyes

By God and Jesus, have you ever learned what the concept of debating is? Have you ever learned any suitable retorts or rebuttals besides sarcastic smileys and pathetic mockery? I want to know, because to be perfectly honest, I have never seen you debate anything. EVER. All you do is post talking points and pretend you always have the high ground. Thus, I think it's time for someone to say it.

For FUCK'S SAKE, start answering people's questions. Refute points, for the love of God, or you're doomed to bring any shreds of credibility libertarianism still has on this forum down around our ears. Few people take us seriously already, we do NOT need your help scaring the rest of them away, believe me. Shit like this happens, and it's unfortunate that it does, but there are better things to worry about. It won't affect any of us not in Vermont, trust me.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 03:40:31 PM »

They value the land, and the wealth it can produce, more than the money being offered.

No, they value wealth and want more money.

I could see if the government annexed it so they could sell it to someone else, but this is a necessary project.  Do you also protest the construction of hospitals, fire stations, police stations, schools, libraries, and the bulldozing of abandoned slums?  Sad part is that I already know you're going to answer yes.

The only reason I'm not a Paul supporter are these extreme no compromise radical positions that come from the fact that him and all his supporters live sheltered middle class lives and don't look at the big picture or the validness of differing perspectives or the effect decisions have on others when making policy choices.  Small government and freedoms are great, but a government can only get so small before society crumbles.

It's this same kind of "the individual always comes first" misguided thinking that is the reason why, in my hometown of Santa Fe, the EMT helicopter for the regional hospital has to land at the airport 10 minutes away and drive to the hospital because a residential development had been built next to the old landing pad and "was being disturbed."  
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »

No, they value wealth and want more money.

I could see if the government annexed it so they could sell it to someone else, but this is a necessary project.  Do you also protest the construction of hospitals, fire stations, police stations, schools, libraries, and the bulldozing of abandoned slums?  Sad part is that I already know you're going to answer yes.

The only reason I'm not a Paul supporter are these extreme no compromise radical positions that come from the fact that him and all his supporters live sheltered middle class lives and don't look at the big picture or the validness of differing perspectives or the effect decisions have on others when making policy choices.  Small government and freedoms are great, but a government can only get so small before society crumbles.

It's this same kind of "the individual always comes first" misguided thinking that is the reason why, in my hometown of Santa Fe, the EMT helicopter for the regional hospital has to land at the airport 10 minutes away and drive to the hospital because a residential development had been built next to the old landing pad and "was being disturbed."  

This is not a necessary project and there is never justification for stealing someone's property. It doesn't matter what was offered, unless it was a voluntary exchange, it is theft.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies