Yet Another Misunderstanding of "Freedom of Speech" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:11:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Yet Another Misunderstanding of "Freedom of Speech" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yet Another Misunderstanding of "Freedom of Speech"  (Read 2514 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« on: December 09, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »

I hope she wins her lawsuit as well as Rutgers loses every game they play and Vivian String is the one who winds up fired.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 07:53:59 PM »

I hope she wins her lawsuit as well as Rutgers loses every game they play and Vivian String is the one who winds up fired.

Why should she win her lawsuit?  She stepped down for making the school look bad.  This isn't a freedom of speech issue.  This is a more extreme version, but should the following scenario get me fired:  In a press conference, I call my boss a moron.
That should not get you fired, sorry Inks but you are bordering on Nazism here.  Speaking out against your company gets you fired?  Sounds like a great way to create a lot of backdoor deals and scandals. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:05:01 PM »

Why should she win her lawsuit?  She stepped down for making the school look bad.  This isn't a freedom of speech issue.  This is a more extreme version, but should the following scenario get me fired:  In a press conference, I call my boss a moron.
That should not get you fired, sorry Inks but you are bordering on Nazism here.  Speaking out against your company gets you fired?  Sounds like a great way to create a lot of backdoor deals and scandals. 

NAZISM!  So you're  telling me that if A.G. Mukasey today got up and said, "President Bush is the stupidest leader we have ever had.  I think President Bush should go back to first grade and learn how to speak.  While we're at it, send Tom Tancredo back too.  President Bush is so f***ing stupid!  But Laura Bush is some f***ing hot babe!  WHOA i'd tap that *ss!  Have you seen the mother f***ing titties on that little b*tch?" then President Bush would have no right to pressure him to resign.  Come on Down - you're being ridiculous here!

EDIT: when did the f word as in f***ing sensor into just "ing"?
Your comments have no parallel.  That was a profanity laced tirade that was probably in violation of some stupid sexual harrasment laws.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:31:16 PM »

NAZISM!  So you're  telling me that if A.G. Mukasey today got up and said, "President Bush is the stupidest leader we have ever had.  I think President Bush should go back to first grade and learn how to speak.  While we're at it, send Tom Tancredo back too.  President Bush is so f***ing stupid!  But Laura Bush is some f***ing hot babe!  WHOA i'd tap that *ss!  Have you seen the mother f***ing titties on that little b*tch?" then President Bush would have no right to pressure him to resign.  Come on Down - you're being ridiculous here!

Your comments have no parallel.  That was a profanity laced tirade that was probably in violation of some stupid sexual harrasment laws.

OK, fine.  Take out the profanity and the lusting after Mrs. Bush.  You can't embarrass your boss/comany and expect to retain your job though.
I think principal of a Muslim school and AG of the US are completly different.  Also, did she speak out against the school or just about an absurd thign?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:40:11 PM »

OK, fine.  Take out the profanity and the lusting after Mrs. Bush.  You can't embarrass your boss/comany and expect to retain your job though.
I think principal of a Muslim school and AG of the US are completly different.  Also, did she speak out against the school or just about an absurd thign?

She refused to denounce something that the rest of hte school leadership denounced, and brought it up at a press conference.  She gave her personal opinion at a press conference for the school.  She did not have the best interest of the school in mind.  The same thing applies with Don Imus - I would've fired him too, not because of what he said, but because of the fact that I just lost all my major sponsors and it would now be costing me more money to keep him on the air instead of me making money.
What's the point of having free speech at all if you don't stand up for it in the tough times?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:48:28 PM »

What's the point of having free speech at all if you don't stand up for it in the tough times?

You don't exactly seem to understand what free speech is.

Free speech is the ability to say what you want without the government arresting you for it.

Free speech is not the ability to say what you want without any repercussions from private individuals whatsoever.

It is not a violation of free speech for your girlfriend to leave you after you call her a whore, nor is it a violation of free speech for your company to fire you after you publicly insult it or cause it financial grief due to something you said.
While not protecting the 1st amendment, it should be upheld.  I don't care if its law, I'm saying someone should stand up for it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 10:14:45 PM »

While not protecting the 1st amendment, it should be upheld.  I don't care if its law, I'm saying someone should stand up for it.

Here, let me quote you the relevant part of first amendment:

"Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech."

Congress.  Not private individuals or companies.  The first amendment imposes no restrictions whatsoever on private individuals or companies.  A non-governmental entity cannot, by definition, violate the first amendment.
You obviously misinterpreted my statement, I am saying applying the right to every day when need be.  For example, the government can't force you to smoke, yet technically a lay person can, the same example applies here.  Just because there is no law doesn't mean its not the right thing to do.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 10:58:47 PM »

Here, let me quote you the relevant part of first amendment:

"Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech."

Congress.  Not private individuals or companies.  The first amendment imposes no restrictions whatsoever on private individuals or companies.  A non-governmental entity cannot, by definition, violate the first amendment.
You obviously misinterpreted my statement, I am saying applying the right to every day when need be.  For example, the government can't force you to smoke, yet technically a lay person can, the same example applies here.  Just because there is no law doesn't mean its not the right thing to do.

A lay person can't force you to smoke.

And you didn't address my post - you wouldn't be advocating this if Ron Paul's campaign manager said that RP was not fit to be President.
It is my understanding that this was not a direct statement against the school (correct me if I'm wrong) but rather something that conflicted with official school position.  That should not get her fired, if she said, "burn the school down it is useless", then I could see the case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies