Puerto Rican Statehood Act of 2006 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:28:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Puerto Rican Statehood Act of 2006 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puerto Rican Statehood Act of 2006  (Read 20169 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: March 25, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »

I see imperialism is alive and well. Roll Eyes

How is it imperialism to ask the citizens of what is already a territory of a country to decide whether or not they want to become a full-fledged state?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 08:54:35 PM »

Because of the difficulties of map making should Puerto Rico become a state, I am against Puerto Rican statehood.  I am in favor of allowing a Commonwealth government established there, with fantasy powers equivalent to those of the real life Puerto Rican government.

Actually, it's not difficult at all.  Just change the year in the link you get from EV Calc to 2008 and add a bit at the end that says "&PR=x;y;z":

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 08:57:52 PM »

So we should just cave in and give him Statehood, I for one will oppose this just for that reason.

No, we're going to give the option to the Puerto Rican citizens to choose for themselves how they want to respond.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 11:15:23 PM »

Because of the difficulties of map making should Puerto Rico become a state, I am against Puerto Rican statehood.  I am in favor of allowing a Commonwealth government established there, with fantasy powers equivalent to those of the real life Puerto Rican government.

Actually, it's not difficult at all.  Just change the year in the link you get from EV Calc to 2008 and add a bit at the end that says "&PR=x;y;z":

That works for now, if you know the secret, but somehow, I expect Dave will change that when he starts needing 2008 for 2008 and not for fantasy purposes.

If he knows it's being used, he'll probably leave it in for 2012.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 05:14:02 AM »

I see imperialism is alive and well. Roll Eyes

How is it imperialism to ask the citizens of what is already a territory of a country to decide whether or not they want to become a full-fledged state?

Becuase that territory just happens to be outside North America(and before you mention Hawaii, uyes that was a bad idea too, but now we can't go back), not to mention that it is a third worldish hellhole waiting for pork and even more federal money.

Whether or not they'd want pork, I'm not sure why that makes this "imperialism", given that Puerto Rico is already considered part of the country (given that people who are born there are citizens who can run for the presidency).
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 05:50:43 AM »

Speaking for the state of Washington, I can say that we are perfectly happy if True Democrat wants to think that he's living on a former island somewhere.

I also like how a former President has flown to an unpopulated island to start a rebel government.  Only in Atlasia.

No, I'm pretty sure Jimmy Carter did that once, too.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 09:43:15 AM »

I am opposed to this bill for much the same reasons as my esteemed colleague from District One: the Senate should not simply bow to political pressure when one person decides to make waves.

Actually, True Democrat has openly come out against this bill because he wants Puerto Rico to be its own independent country (or something along those lines).

Therefore, supporting this bill is going against what he wants.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »

For example, could you make the Candadian statehood act?

Sure, but it would just be silly to add the imaginary country of Candad to our union.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 12:43:52 AM »

Good point.  I'll introduce this amendment:

A fourth section shall be added as follows:

IV: Section 2 of the Miscellany Act shall be amended, following a majority of the citizens of Puerto Rico voting in the affirmative to grant Puerto Rico statehood, to contain a clause 4, the text of which shall be as follows: "Puerto Rico is contiguous to Florida"
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 01:23:38 AM »

I suppose you have a point; although it seems extremely unlikely to me that the combined populations of Florida and Puerto Rico could exceed the maximum allowed in any given district, it's nonetheless a possibility to be considered.

Since we have the ring of CA-HI-AK-WA, it seems to me that the logical thing to pin it against would be Maine, unless you have any strong objections to that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 04:41:33 PM »

I just realized that I forgot to edit that amendment, as I had intended to add Maine as something it was contiguous to.

Therefore:

Nay.

and I introduce this amendment:

A fourth section shall be added as follows:

IV: Section 2 of the Miscellany Act shall be amended, following a majority of the citizens of Puerto Rico voting in the affirmative to grant Puerto Rico statehood, to contain a clause 4, the text of which shall be as follows: "Puerto Rico is contiguous to Florida", and a clause 5, the text of which shall be as follows: "Puerto Rico is contiguous to Maine".

Everyone, please vote down this current amendment, as it isn't what I had meant to have voted on.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 04:54:38 PM »

Aye.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix