protectionist policies suck #27,201 (the sand version) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:12:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  protectionist policies suck #27,201 (the sand version) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: protectionist policies suck #27,201 (the sand version)  (Read 704 times)
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« on: October 29, 2017, 01:21:52 AM »

Supporting protectionism is often framed in a "moral" way to help American workers ... I think it's obvious it ends up hurting way more people than it helps, but I respect and empathize with people who support it.  I do not support it, as I think it's terrible economic policy, but it definitely gives me some moral pause...
Really? I feel the exact opposite. Even if protectionism helped a country's own workers (which it doesn't), I find it morally abhorrent to prioritize one's fellow citizens over those of other countries.

Literally the inherent responsibility of the government.

I agree that the government's job is to prioritize the interests and safety of its own people above those of other nations. However, protectionism is not an example government protecting the interests of all of its citizens. Protectionism is government supporting politically well-connected companies at the expense of the purchasing power of its own (especially poorer) people. It's cronyism at its finest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies