Hank Williams Jr. compares Obama to Hitler
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:14:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hank Williams Jr. compares Obama to Hitler
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hank Williams Jr. compares Obama to Hitler  (Read 894 times)
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »
« edited: October 04, 2011, 11:16:45 AM by Link »

In an incoherent rambling statement on Fox & Friends Hank Williams Jr blurted out a Hitler analogy.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of all the Fox programs I've always found Fox & Friends and Hannity to be the most disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1eF6vCv13bw#!

Anyway I'm glad ESPN pulled the ad featuring Hank Williams Jr.  Hank Williams Jr should have been dumped years ago.  It's football for crying out loud, not NASCAR.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »

I think he's comparing Obama to Netanyahu.

Which of course is utterly out of line.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »

I would be so happy if I didn't have to watch a singer each time I tuned in to watch a football game....definitely one of the things that has watered down football.  the intro to Monday Night Football used to be so incredibly bad ass in the late 70's.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »

Anyway I'm glad ESPN pulled the ad featuring Hank Williams Jr.  Hank Williams Jr should have been dumped years ago.
And brought his father back.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=141673.0
Link
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »

Sorry I didn't think to look in that forum.  Next time I'll use the search function.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2011, 10:26:47 PM by BigSkyBob »

Wait, Williams used the analogy of Netanyahu not playing golf with Hitler because Netanyahu's objective was to live, while Hitler's objective was to kill him. The point of analogy is that there is no point in Netanyahu sitting down with Hitler because their differences can't be negotiated. Had Williams used the analogy, "It would be like mice sitting down with cats," his intended meaning would have been exactly the same, without the possibility of his remarks being misinterpreted.
The claim that Williams is comparing Obama to Hitler, or Boehner to Netanyahu is specious.

Something is completely out of whack with the war of personal annihilation being waged against Williams. It would one thing if a politician had used the analogy. A politician should reasonably know that the mere mention of Hitler [or both men for that matter] would be interpreted as "insensitive" by some folks. In case anyone has forgotten, Williams is a singer. He is a noncombatant in the political wars.

The whole sordid affair is just another example of what is wrong with politics. Those that claim Williams was comparing Obama to Hitler were acting in incredibly poor faith. His intended meaning was clear from his remarks, and, explicitly noted in his response to his critics. That didn't stop his critics from persisting in their bad-faith interpretation of his remarks. An average person says something perfectly benign, and the political class attempts to crucify him. If that doesn't have a chilling effect on political free speech, what does?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:33:01 PM »

who cares
Link
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »

Wait, Williams used the analogy of Netanyahu not playing golf with Hitler because Netanyahu's objective was to live, while Hitler's objective was to kill him. The point of analogy is that there is no point in Netanyahu sitting down with Hitler because their differences can't be negotiated. Had Williams used the analogy, "It would be like mice sitting down with cats," his intended meaning would have been exactly the same, without the possibility of his remarks being misinterpreted.
The claim that Williams is comparing Obama to Hitler, or Boehner to Netanyahu is specious.

Something is completely out of whack with the war of personal annihilation being waged against Williams. It would one thing if a politician had used the analogy. A politician should reasonably know that the mere mention of Hitler [or both men for that matter] would be interpreted as "insensitive" by some folks. In case anyone has forgotten, Williams is a singer. He is a noncombatant in the political wars.

The whole sordid affair is just another example of what is wrong with politics. Those that claim Williams was comparing Obama to Hitler were acting in incredibly poor faith. His intended meaning was clear from his remarks, and, explicitly noted in his response to his critics. That didn't stop his critics from persisting in their bad-faith interpretation of his remarks. An average person says something perfectly benign, and the political class attempts to crucify him. If that doesn't have a chilling effect on political free speech, what does?

Obviously you did not see the interview.  He was not just some meek bystander.  He went on the right wing mouth piece and delivered a disgusting tirade against the president.  It's not like he was secretly taped in his living room having a private conversation with his wife.

I'm going to say this hopefully for the last time.  Never, never, never use the word Hitler when speaking about anyone on television.  Most people with half a brain have learned this by now.  If you call someone Hitler on TV or the radio bad things will happen to you regardless of political ideology.

I like your defense of Williams' despicable remark.  Unfortunately Williams wasn't creative enough to use it himself.  Nice try.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »

Obviously you did not see the interview. 

Actually, I saw his exact quote.

Whether appearing on Fox News is "going on the right-wing mouth piece" and whether, criticizing Obama is "a disgusting tirade against the President" depends largely on one's view. What is clear to those not inclined to totalitarianism is that criticizing those holding office is the right enshrined in the First Amendment.

A reasonable suggestion that both sides ought to adopt.

Here you revert to the inside the beltway mentality. Most people inside the beltway have sorta figured this out, but, the ad Hitler fallacy is still used quite often by both sides. Outside the beltway, references to Hitler aren't that uncommon. I would note that unlike some people on the left and right, Williams did not use the ad Hitler fallacy.

But, Williams didn't call anyone Hitler, nor compare anyone to Hitler. He noted that Hitler wanted to kill all Jews, so it would be pointless for a Jewish leader to sit down with him to negotiate their differences.

1) Actually, I heard Williams comments on the furor, and he did in fact say essentially what I noted.
2) Though his exact wording was unfortunate, Williams expressed a perfectly valid sentiment.
Link
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »

I'm going to say this hopefully for the last time.  Never, never, never use the word Hitler when speaking about anyone on television.  Most people with half a brain have learned this by now. 

Here you revert to the inside the beltway mentality. Most people inside the beltway have sorta figured this out, but, the ad Hitler fallacy is still used quite often by both sides. Outside the beltway, references to Hitler aren't that uncommon.

No most civilized people that know how to discuss and debate issues do not use language like that.  I can honestly say I have NEVER heard anyone around me use the word Hitler when discussing an individual.
Link
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »

But, Williams didn't call anyone Hitler, nor compare anyone to Hitler. He noted that Hitler wanted to kill all Jews, so it would be pointless for a Jewish leader to sit down with him to negotiate their differences.

Williams said the golf outing between Obama and Boehner was like Netanyahu talking to Hitler.  When pressed for a clarification.  Williams said Obama is the enemy.  I don't understand how much clearer it can be.  Are you suggesting Obama was Netanyahu and the Boehner is Hitler?!  There are not that many pieces here.  It's an analogy.  Someone is Netanyahu and someone is Hitler.  Williams has already indicated that Obama is the "enemy."  The "enemy" role most of the time in my experience is played by Hitler.  I honestly can't believe someone is trying to spin this.  This is one of those situations where you acknowledge what you did apologize and quietly go away until the whole thing blows over.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »

Williams said the golf outing between Obama and Boehner was like Netanyahu talking to Hitler.  When pressed for a clarification.  Williams said Obama is the enemy.  I don't understand how much clearer it can be.  Are you suggesting Obama was Netanyahu and the Boehner is Hitler?!  There are not that many pieces here.  It's an analogy.  Someone is Netanyahu and someone is Hitler.  Williams has already indicated that Obama is the "enemy."  The "enemy" role most of the time in my experience is played by Hitler.  I honestly can't believe someone is trying to spin this.  This is one of those situations where you acknowledge what you did apologize and quietly go away until the whole thing blows over.

Quote from: Restricted

Again, Williams simply was not comparing Obama to Hitler, or Boehner to Netanyahu. Again, Williams clarified his remarks to be exactly what I thought they meant when I first heard them: Obama's and Boehner's differences can't be negotiated.

"Hitler is to Netanyahu as night is to...?"

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies