Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:20:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)  (Read 45091 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: September 18, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »

It looks like ISIS will be used as an excuse to go after Assad. We'll give arms to some "moderate" Al Qaeda affiliated rebel groups. I'm sure things will go great there.

Really?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2014, 12:57:37 AM by Velasco »

I'm fairly certain that the people of ISIS would be in jail if they lived in Francoist Spain, Nazi Germany or Mussolini's Italy, even if they never committed a single act of violence. By advocating for a multiethnic theocracy, they would be going against that most basic tenet of fascism that is the People and the State above all else.

Do you really think so? I'd say that the Nazi, Fascist or National-Catholic "ideological principles" would have mattered very little, in the unlikely case that something similar to ISIS was existing then. A group like that could have been better used as a combative mercenary troop, or as allies of convenience in the North of Africa and the Middle East. Racial scruples might have prevented Hitler much more than other considerations; never Mussolini or Franco. Do you know which was the religious affiliation of Franco's shock troops in the Civil War and the mounted soldiers of his personal guard? I'll give you a clue; they came from the north of Morocco. Note that Franco's regime was branded as National-Catholic.  

The misuse of the words "fascist", "genocide" and "anti-semite", together with comparisons with the Holocaust, should be banned by the international law.

How much time will pass until Assad is proclaimed the new ally of convenience by the international coalition?

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »

Remember that Bashar Assad himself is something of a Middle Eastern version of Hitler (...)

It doesn't matter who is Assad, ideologically speaking. Many people suspect that sooner or later, the international coalition will resort to him, since no Western country is ready to send troops on the ground and Kurd fighters won't be enough to contain ISIS, even with airstrikes. Paradoxically enough, some of the ISIS financial resources may come from member countries of the coalition built to fight ISIS. We live in a strange world.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 03:38:57 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2014, 03:40:58 AM by Velasco »

He's Hitler ideologically, not strategically.

Dear God, no.  Assad is a bloodthirsty dictator, but such a comparison is as absurd as calling ISIS "Islamofascist". I stated my opinion before; the misuse of certain words should be banned from Earth.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »

kind of long read on how Turkey (supposedly) gave the bad guys in Syria chemical weapons and some Obama bashing too.  Not sure if it's accurate or not.  It's written by the fella that uncovered the My Lai Massacre and the issues Americans had at Abu Ghraib, so he's got that going for him.

The article talks of "Turkey and Saudi-based chemical facilitators" and mentions an employee of a Turkish export firm who cooperated with a supposed member of the Al-Nusra militia, which is not the same as "Turkey gave the bud guys etcetera".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, the read suggests further implications.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How would you describe the guys involved in the "Abu Ghraib issues"?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »

The real threat is not that ISIS is going to challenge the international coalition air forces. That's ridiculous. They could use the planes in order to mount 9/11-style suicide attacks (of kamikaze, if you want another simile), as the article linked above says.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies