Gallup: Biden takes a big hit from Democrats after Israel events
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:23:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: Biden takes a big hit from Democrats after Israel events
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Gallup: Biden takes a big hit from Democrats after Israel events  (Read 2169 times)
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2023, 10:13:33 AM »

https://news.gallup.com/poll/513305/democrats-ratings-biden-slip-overall-approval.aspx

His approval among Ds has dropped from 86% to 75%, his lowest ever. The only similar decline was in late 2021, with the Virginia governor and BBB failures. To be fair, it could be due to other factors, but it seems like a fair conclusion, after Dems became more pro-Palestine than pro-Israel earlier this year.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 10:17:55 AM »

Anyone who feels more sympathy for mass murdering terrorists than their victims, innocent civilians from a democracy who has been our close ally for decades, should go ahead and leave the party anyway.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 10:24:58 AM »

Anyone who feels more sympathy for mass murdering terrorists than their victims, innocent civilians from a democracy who has been our close ally for decades, should go ahead and leave the party anyway.

Hot take :

American Academia is more skeptical towards Israel  because they are stuck in a Cold War mentality, where Israel is seen as a puppet regime of the United States, and imperialism is bad.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 10:28:56 AM »

Hot take :

American Academia is more skeptical towards Israel  because they are stuck in a Cold War mentality, where Israel is seen as a puppet regime of the United States, and imperialism is bad.

No it’s cause they view the entire world through the narrow oppressor vs oppressed minority lense which is completely absurd but because of that back Palestine .

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 10:33:26 AM »

Hot take :

No it’s cause they view the entire world through the narrow oppressor vs oppressed minority lense which is completely absurd but because of that back Palestine .

And they view America as the biggest oppressor of all, which is my point.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 10:33:50 AM »

Hot take :

Even though that lens, I'd say it was pretty oppressive for Hamas to commit half a 9/11 (or like 20 9/11s per capita) on Israeli civilians a couple weeks ago.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 10:35:10 AM »

Hot take :

And they view America as the biggest oppressor of all, which is my point.

It is completely ridiculous too . If academia thinks we were the bigger oppressor in the Cold War then that’s further proof it’s left wing propaganda
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 10:37:57 AM »

Honestly, the Israel-Palestine conflict is being used as an excuse to find a socially acceptable way to not like Biden. These problems were always bubbling up but now many have a way out of being a social pariah.

Unlike before the midterms, the Supreme Court won't be trying to damn Republican's electoral chances, so Biden is screwed.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2023, 11:34:32 AM »

Morons.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2023, 11:36:37 AM »

I'm genuinely not surprised, and I really couldn't disagree with PSOL's take enough. Among the grassroots I've seen very real anger at Biden dismissing the death toll of Palestinians in a pretty callous way. I'm not saying that all the criticism is justified but I absolutely see it and believe it's real. And conflating all of it with 'you must support Hamas, or the death of innocent Israelis!' is disingenuous and to be honest in my estimation only drives the sentiment further. Especially among young people.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 11:39:08 AM »

Disgusting. These people could hand the White House to an unhinged criminal because Biden isn't an anti-Semite.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 11:39:57 AM »

What about the innocent Palestinian civilians who have been killed? There are more of them now than Israelis killed on 10/7, if that’s what matters (and I think from a humanitarian perspective it doesn’t *not* matter).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 11:42:02 AM »

I think Biden has been handling this pretty well and it's not like he's dismissing the Palestinians, he's been a restraining force on Israel and it allowed the water to come back on, the aid trucks to get in, and may be why the ground invasion hasn't happened yet. Anyway, these people are probably just mad and I think will probably support him again later in the year or at least once the news is Trump trials 24/7 next year.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2023, 12:12:37 PM »

What about the innocent Palestinian civilians who have been killed? There are more of them now than Israelis killed on 10/7, if that’s what matters (and I think from a humanitarian perspective it doesn’t *not* matter).

How do we know? The Palestinian authorities have already been caught lying about deaths and responsibility.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 12:23:32 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2023, 12:29:27 PM by GP270watch »

Americans don't want war or to pay for other people's wars. Biden has been seen as more hawkish than even Trump. Trump was smart to engage in military conflict in a targeted way(he was no dove) but avoid headline grabbing invasions and paying for your allies war efforts or even self defense. I'm only talking about Trump's optics on foreign policy and not how disastrous he actually was.

We are moving towards austerity talk and Americans already feel like they're being nickel and dimed to death in their everyday lives. Hearing about tens of billions of dollars of spending bills here and there for Ukraine and Israel is not popular and will only get less popular as U.S. politicians start to talk about spending cuts and government shutdowns at home. Can't claim brokenness when you got hundreds of billions of dollars of corporate welfare for people to buy weapons.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2023, 01:10:34 PM »

How do we know? The Palestinian authorities have already been caught lying about deaths and responsibility.

With all of the bombings, I would seriously doubt that the number of Gaza residents killed is lower than the number of Israelis killed or kidnapped in the first days of the conflict. Take Hamas’s numbers as you will (and I agree in general that they shouldn’t be trusted), it doesn’t pass the smell test that fewer Gazans have been killed since the start.

That being said, I think that it’s passed time for Israel to pull out. They had the moral high ground when they started, but I don’t think that they do anymore. I’m not really sure how to solve the Gaza issue though. Not completely embargoing them probably would’ve reduced tensions, but it’s obviously too late for that now.

I appreciate that Biden and his administration have been working to allow humanitarian aid into Gaza.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2023, 01:23:39 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2023, 01:45:29 PM by Born to Slay. Forced to Work. »

That’s an oversimplification and a strawman. Most people who are critical of Likud are not pro-Hamas. Hamas is a terrorist organization and Likud are habitual war criminals. Both of these can be, and are, true. The ones deserving sympathy are the civilians being kidnapped and bombed because they were born between demagogical regimes.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2023, 01:27:21 PM »

With all of the bombings, I would seriously doubt that the number of Gaza residents killed is lower than the number of Israelis killed or kidnapped in the first days of the conflict. Take Hamas’s numbers as you will (and I agree in general that they shouldn’t be trusted), it doesn’t pass the smell test that fewer Gazans have been killed since the start.

That being said, I think that it’s passed time for Israel to pull out. They had the moral high ground when they started, but I don’t think that they do anymore. I’m not really sure how to solve the Gaza issue though. Not completely embargoing them probably would’ve reduced tensions, but it’s obviously too late for that now.

I appreciate that Biden and his administration have been working to allow humanitarian aid into Gaza.

Israel could bomb Gaza until every single building is gone and people like Harry would still question if anyone had died.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2023, 02:26:18 PM »

Israel could bomb Gaza until every single building is gone and people like Harry would still question if anyone had died.

That's just a ridiculous and foolish thing to say. When have I ever questioned if "anyone" had died? I'm sorry I can't be the made up caricature you want me to be Sad
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2023, 02:35:34 PM »

That’s an oversimplification and a strawman. Most people who are critical of Likud are not pro-Hamas. Hamas is a terrorist organization and Likud are habitual war criminals. Both of these can be, and are, true. The ones deserving sympathy are the civilians being kidnapped and bombed because they were born between demagogical regimes.

I have as much sympathy for innocent Palestinian civilians who have been killed or hurt as a result of this as anyone here. Note that "innocent Palestinian civilians" does not include anyone who is part of Hamas or an active supporter of it.

Remember that I have 20 years of posting history that shows how critical I am of Israeli far right and racist parties that their voters keep electing, so I don't need any educating there. None of that changes that this conflict is entirely the fault of Hamas and its brutal and unprovoked acts of terrorism (literally half a 9/11 on a country that's like 2% our size) and Hamas and its supporters will now have to live with the consequences.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2023, 03:02:58 PM »

I don’t think we have enough evidence to clearly cite Israel as the cause for Biden’s recent approval drop.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2023, 03:13:22 PM »

I don’t think we have enough evidence to clearly cite Israel as the cause for Biden’s recent approval drop.

Occam's razor isn't cool enough for the pro-Hamas crowd.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2023, 03:17:11 PM »

Israel should not pull out
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 03:22:04 PM »

Instant classic
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon