This video will make your day: Sikh immigrant shop owners teach thief a painful lesson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:16:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  This video will make your day: Sikh immigrant shop owners teach thief a painful lesson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: This video will make your day: Sikh immigrant shop owners teach thief a painful lesson  (Read 3037 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2023, 04:04:07 PM »

If a video was posted of two white store owners beating up a black guy got posted to Twitter, the store owners would probably be safer behind bars after being doxxed.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2023, 12:16:27 AM »

I don't know much about the DA of Stockton or how similar they are to Chesa Boudin but considering how brazen the thief was it seems there might be a lack of prosecution for burglary and theft there. And yet if the shop owner gets prosecuted...yeah interesting implications.

That is ultimately what it comes down to in cases like these. The thieves are just so brazen now in so many places. They don't even bother to hide it. That is a relatively new thing. Most people at a very young age were brought up to know that stealing is wrong. If stealing is suddenly okay now, what other aspects of the most basic aspect of the social contract should we do away with next?

In California, all elected officials are subject to the California Constitution's recall provisions. The San Joaquin County DA should tread carefully. This is the kind of thing where if you polled the country after seeing the full video, I'd expect something like 70-80% support for the shop owner. Maybe they went a little overboard, but that's beside the point here.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2023, 12:23:15 AM »

You love to see it, only way to deal with criminals.

Tip to the crook: call 911 and get the police to take him away. It's better than the beating.

Better yet, find some way of life more honorable than crime.

Heavily-taxed cancerettes are a favorite object of theft because they are easy to fence. 

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2023, 12:42:10 AM »

Some of you guys aren't right in the head.
This irony? Looters and shoplifters who steal from hardworking people making an honest living deserve this treatment.

Where does it stop though? Death? Outside of very violent and heinous crimes there is no justifiable reason to wish brutal violence on someone. You open the door to that and the threshold to violence becomes even lower.
The man lost any right to complain about the treatment he deserved when he threatened the safety of the people in the 7/11 by pulling out a knife/appearing to push someone and being a repeat offender while the police do squat after stealing multiple times. 

Legally if a person is restrained any unnecessary force used is going to be deemed assault. Again, we aren't talking about the initial restraint, we are talking about what happened after and the fact that some people on this thread said he should have been beaten even more. What does beating a shoplifter after they've been restrained accomplish? Maybe it makes the store owner feel better, but the law doesn't have revenge loopholes.
Well for one, after the repeat offender looted their store two times, with nothing presumably happening to the looter. It accomplishes justice, something which hasn't been done due to the law not doing anything to the looter.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2023, 01:29:39 AM »

I wonder which call will get answered by the police first:
1."hello, yes, my shop is being robbed by an armed man, come quick"
2."hello, yes, my shop was being robbed by an armed man, two of my employees are currently risking their lives trying to keep him restrained, come quick"
3."hello, yes, I went to the store to buy a pack of smokes and this guy tried to rob them and now the store owner is beating him with a broom, come quick"
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2023, 03:39:03 PM »

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/stockton/stockton-mayor-says-7-11-clerks-are-not-and-never-have-been-suspects/amp/

Stockton mayor and county DA say they will only go after robber.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2023, 04:34:56 PM »

This irony? Looters and shoplifters who steal from hardworking people making an honest living deserve this treatment.

Nobody deserves this treatment.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2023, 04:43:15 PM »

Sure. But the store owner did not deserve to be robbed, and his rights trump the rights of the man robbing him. End of analysis.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2023, 09:19:34 PM »

Sure. But the store owner did not deserve to be robbed, and his rights trump the rights of the man robbing him. End of analysis.

This is what happens, and what will happen, when society stops considering one's property and one's ability to actually be safe in their homes.

When prosecutors refuse to prosecute theft of any amount, they are stating that property is a right that one can be deprived of, not by due process of law, but by the unpunished nonfeasance of a local prosecutor.  What possible deterrence would this thief have encountered if they had been properly restrained, then arrested, then allowed to bond out and be punished (in the end) by a probated sentence that did not compel the criminal to pay restitution, the cost of his prosecution, or other court costs, they consider themselves unpunished, and why should they not think that.

The cost of America of the BLM/Antifa riots is the loss of a meaningful right to property.  Mobs were allowed to loot and destroy property, with minimal effort to locate or punish wrongdoers.  The Woke Prosecutors are both the cause and the effect of the 2020 street riots (that were not peaceful; peaceful protests don't cause billions of dollars in damage).  This guy was just doing what he saw mobs doing in Target in Minneapolis, what he sees them do in convenience stores in Philadelphia now.  This man has no reason to think that the Government would protect the rights of these store franchise-holders.

You cannot have a civilized society without a meaningful right to property.  Meaningful means that people can't just take your stuff because they're the police, the government, or a member of a favored racial/ethnic group, or some other kind of favored demographic.  That sort of thing is what generated people leaving Europe (particularly Eastern Europe) for America in the 19th and early 20th century, and it is why people found America to be as wonderful as they found it.  That's part of Western Civilization, a concept that people will not fully appreciate until it's gone.  It's also a concept that many Eastern Civilizations are not exactly keen on. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2023, 09:20:19 PM »

Are you familiar with the concept of disproportionate retribution?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2023, 09:58:01 PM »

Are you familiar with the concept of disproportionate retribution?

Of course, but as I said earlier in this thread, that is not what happened here. It is clear from the video that he was neutralizing an active threat, not exacting vengeance.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2023, 10:47:35 PM »

The full video

It probably does show some extra vengeance at the end tbh.

OTOH I hardly see the sympathy either for a thief merely just getting what is most likely some bruises.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2023, 10:58:25 PM »

I should point out that this guy was not "shoplifting" in the sense of just trying to stuff a bag of chips under his shirt and walk out without paying or something along those lines. He was brazenly stealing cigarettes in bulk, obviously to sell on the black market, while carrying a weapon that he had threatened with, and was totally fine doing this while he was videotaped.

Anyway read the comments on that YouTube video and you'll see if there's any chance of convicting these guys.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2023, 11:13:01 PM »

It should be illegal. All forms of torture should be illegal.
I would think brutally beating someone with a stick could be considered to be torture.

If this is torture, then a soldier shooting an enemy combatant is also torture. Both situations involve a person inflicting physical harm/pain on another in order to induce them to perform a certain action (retreat/leave the store). What makes the infliction of physical pain immoral in the context of torture is the fact that one party is completely at the other's mercy. This was not true in this video.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2023, 11:40:04 PM »

It should be illegal. All forms of torture should be illegal.
I would think brutally beating someone with a stick could be considered to be torture.
Its not.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2023, 03:33:27 PM »

You guys must have very sheltered lives if this nonsense is considered controversial
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2023, 03:44:59 PM »

Not a fan of vigilantism, but as long as criminals feel emboldened to act without fear of prosecution this will happen, and it will happen with increasing frequency. It's better than just embracing an outright illegalism that overthrows societal order entirely.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2023, 08:12:39 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2023, 08:22:24 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/7-eleven-thief-pounded-with-felony-charges-750k-bail-after-viral-beat-down-from-sikh-employees-police

Bail set at 750k, charged with robbery(using a threat while stealing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r33wTYFgLBY&t=39s

Also dude seems like he's standing up fine in court so for everyone so worried about the thief you can rest easy.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2023, 09:13:43 PM »

Of course, but as I said earlier in this thread, that is not what happened here. It is clear from the video that he was neutralizing an active threat, not exacting vengeance.

I watched the same video you did, and I don't agree.

You guys must have very sheltered lives if this nonsense is considered controversial

I'm well aware that a significant portion of the public has a bloodlust and would be perfectly content to see every criminal executed. That doesn't make it okay.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2023, 09:23:21 PM »

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2023, 09:24:14 PM »

I watched the same video you did, and I don't agree.

You’re a member of a small minority of Americans who reflexively sympathize with literal villains for the sake of being controversial, so I’m not even remotely surprised. Any action an individual takes to protect his property from a legitimate threat should be treated with a presumption of legality and morality.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2023, 09:51:29 PM »

You love to see it, only way to deal with criminals.

Tip to the crook: call 911 and get the police to take him away. It's better than the beating.

Better yet, find some way of life more honorable than crime.

Heavily-taxed cancerettes are a favorite object of theft because they are easy to fence. 

The police never arrive on time.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2023, 09:52:51 PM »

How many of you think he should be allowed to walk free because of his beating?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2023, 12:05:31 AM »

The armed robber was not beaten, he was subdued. And even if the employees committed some crime in subduing him (IANAL, but I can't see anything I would consider a crime) then they should be facing charges of their own. The perpetrator is still an armed robber and needs to be prosecuted on that basis.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2023, 02:20:22 AM »

The armed robber was not beaten, he was subdued. And even if the employees committed some crime in subduing him (IANAL, but I can't see anything I would consider a crime) then they should be facing charges of their own. The perpetrator is still an armed robber and needs to be prosecuted on that basis.
People on twitter are demanding the employees be arrested and the robber released
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies