Outrage in Iran after woman dies in police custody after arrest over "improper" hijab
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:05:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Outrage in Iran after woman dies in police custody after arrest over "improper" hijab
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Outrage in Iran after woman dies in police custody after arrest over "improper" hijab  (Read 11529 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2022, 05:47:54 AM »

Still sceptical, but is this the biggest challenge to the regime since the 1980s?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2022, 08:13:50 AM »

Still sceptical, but is this the biggest challenge to the regime since the 1980s?

Have these protests really surpassed the scale of the green movement yet? I realize they're possibly more aggressive and possibly even militant but idk if I've seen the absolute scale of the green movement protests. Maybe I'm wrong though, someone correct me, cause I want for nothing more than the Ayatollah's regime to catch on fire and fall with as little bloodshed as possible for the people of Iran themselves.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2022, 08:44:54 AM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2022, 07:34:03 PM »

Does there exist any polling on how popular these protests actually are?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2022, 07:52:22 PM »

Oh yeah YouGov and Marist are in the field right now, but Trafalgar thinks there is a quiet pro-Khamenei vote that "traditional" pollsters aren't able to pick up on.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2022, 08:26:05 PM »

80% of Iranians and a clear majority of Iranian Americans born between 1985 and 1999 are against these protests.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2022, 11:00:02 PM »

Oh yeah YouGov and Marist are in the field right now, but Trafalgar thinks there is a quiet pro-Khamenei vote that "traditional" pollsters aren't able to pick up on.

It took me a second but LOL.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2022, 11:37:13 PM »

It took me a second but LOL.

There's a fine line in satire where you have to make it absurd enough that people will pick up on the joke, and I figured that would get it done
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2022, 10:09:11 PM »

Of course the Islamofascist Palestine leadership is little different to the mullahs in Iran when it comes to groups that progressives are meant to care about, but that doesn't stop our friends on university campuses supporting them.

Fatah is a secular party. A flawed party, but secular. And none of that changes the fact that Israel has been engaged in an illegal military occupation for over 50 years.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2022, 07:38:43 AM »

I mean, can we keep this thread on the events in Iran PLEASE?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2022, 03:58:48 PM »

80% of Iranians and a clear majority of Iranian Americans born between 1985 and 1999 are against these protests.
Source of the second?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2022, 04:40:23 PM »

The entire Iranian football team has spoken out against the regime's treatment of women, including at least one who was previously thought to be regime friendly.

The regime has apparently issued an arrest warrant for former international football player Ali Karimi, one of the most capped Iranians, for his ongoing online support for the protests.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2022, 05:37:41 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2022, 05:43:08 PM by TheReckoning »

Never forget how leftists internationally were Ruhollah Khomenei’s cheerleaders, and that the current Iranian regime is a leftist one.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2022, 05:57:33 PM »

Never forget how leftists internationally were Ruhollah Khomenei’s cheerleaders, and that the current Iranian regime is a leftist one.

I'm not going to argue the first part of this, the Iranian revolution was *very* complicated in who supported it and for what reasons, but I'm sorry the idea that Iran currently has a leftist government is just absurd.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2022, 06:20:44 PM »

I suppose compared to you, perhaps.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2022, 06:30:54 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2022, 08:57:44 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

-Dies from cringe-
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2022, 07:49:04 PM »

I'm not going to argue the first part of this, the Iranian revolution was *very* complicated in who supported it and for what reasons, but I'm sorry the idea that Iran currently has a leftist government is just absurd.

Since the early ‘80s, the Iranian government has instituted intense equalization efforts throughout the country. They are left wing, or at least significantly more left wing than what preceded them, and I would argue to the left of the median government around the world.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2022, 09:40:06 PM »

Since the early ‘80s, the Iranian government has instituted intense equalization efforts throughout the country. They are left wing, or at least significantly more left wing than what preceded them, and I would argue to the left of the median government around the world.

WTF?

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2022, 10:03:00 PM »

WTF?

Most governments have not pursued equalization as strongly as the Iranian regime has. The fact that they oppose atheistic left wing ideologies such as Marxism does not make them “right wing” anymore than how Ayn Rand strongly opposed the religious right’s influence in society made her “left wing.”
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2022, 10:39:45 PM »

WTF?

Most governments have not pursued equalization as strongly as the Iranian regime has. The fact that they oppose atheistic left wing ideologies such as Marxism does not make them “right wing” anymore than how Ayn Rand strongly opposed the religious right’s influence in society made her “left wing.”

Nothing says equalization like subjugating half your population to second-class citizenship.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2022, 12:03:11 AM »

WTF?

Nothing says equalization like subjugating half your population to second-class citizenship.

In some senses? Sure, they have more restrictions on what they can wear. But these days, women in Iran are becoming more highly educated than men (not unlike the USA, actually), whereas before the revolution, the opposite was true. That’s because of government’s education reforms, which placed a strong emphasis on ensuring education parity between men and women.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2022, 12:23:24 AM »

WTF?

In some senses? Sure, they have more restrictions on what they can wear. But these days, women in Iran are becoming more highly educated than men (not unlike the USA, actually), whereas before the revolution, the opposite was true. That’s because of government’s education reforms, which placed a strong emphasis on ensuring education parity between men and women.

If that makes them left leaning does that mean right wingers don't believe that?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2022, 05:17:53 AM »

Back in the 1980s the regime carried out the biggest mass murder of left-wingers this side of the Indonesian Genocide and one of the officials most directly involved in the implementation of that is now the President. The Iranian government is by any reasonable measure one of the most right-wing in the world and that some extremely stupid people on the Hard and Far Left thought and think favourably about it because for them all that matters really is hostility towards America and Israel is a statement on their moral and intellectual bankruptcy and nothing else.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2022, 08:54:34 AM »

Iran is the bad guy country of the world as judged by the West.

Therefore, the eventual collapse of this political setup is going to be hard to accept as they will think the US and Israel have taken over their patch.

I would never have thought that Iran was going to change, but along came Google, Facebook and Instagram.

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2022, 10:13:24 AM »

Back in the 1980s the regime carried out the biggest mass murder of left-wingers this side of the Indonesian Genocide and one of the officials most directly involved in the implementation of that is now the President. The Iranian government is by any reasonable measure one of the most right-wing in the world and that some extremely stupid people on the Hard and Far Left thought and think favourably about it because for them all that matters really is hostility towards America and Israel is a statement on their moral and intellectual bankruptcy and nothing else.

Interesting. Stalin must’ve also been extremely far right, due to his mass murder of the far-left Trotskyists, right?

Research what the Iranian regime did during the 1980s. They nationalized a vast majority of industries in an attempt to redistribute wealth.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies