What lessons can be learned from the Biden Administration?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:34:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What lessons can be learned from the Biden Administration?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What lessons can be learned from the Biden Administration?  (Read 1966 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2022, 12:44:14 AM »

Obama accomplished nothing for six years. The stink of failure did not follow him around the way it’s following Biden around.

I’m very aware that when it comes to taking action, Biden has done the best he can do. But in terms of communication and optics, he has failed miserably. So what have I learned? I think I took for granted how important it is that the nominee is a dynamic communicator and messenger. Obama was, Clinton was… this old-ass version of Biden ain’t. Forget about policies—we know roughly what Democrats stand for and can have some confidence that they’ll sort of do what they can when the situation allows. We need to choose the candidate who can inspire the most confidence, which will hopefully help more senators and congresspeople get elected too.

Like, if Mayor Pete we’re president right now, he wouldn’t have accomplished much. But I think the messaging would be different and his numbers wouldn’t be so horrible. Maybe I’m wrong though, since he’s a gay and America sucks.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 02:04:05 AM »

Democrats also can't allow rogue politicians to be among their elected officials. Not every Representative and Senator has to sign onto Medicare for All and the Green New Deal as they currently are, but all of them have to be clearly left-wing and agree with all the basic values of the party. Manchin and Sinema think too much like conservatives and this has caused so many problems. Exceptions can be made in places like West Virginia where you need a special candidate to win, but split-ticket voting is low enough that pretty much everywhere Democrats win can be won with just an acceptable candidate rather than needing some moderate hero. Most of the time the Sinema types don't even know how to be good at being moderate heroes, they just take unpopular positions that Republicans take while deluding themselves with support from their donors.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2022, 02:34:59 AM »

It's interesting that so many of you don't think he's done anything.  He got the $1.9 trillion Covid 19 Stimulus Package (aka American Rescue Plan, aka Union Bailout Plan aka Reintroduce the Concept of Inflation to Americans again Plan) past.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 04:19:03 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 04:24:04 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Biden is using the same COVID vaccine that Trump created that didn't Eradicate Covid just remember that Rs when you want Rs empowered and Trump never wears a mask, just because Rs if they win win doesn't mean they will hold onto power they lost in 1996/2006/12)18
after winning  the Midterms whites OUTNUMBER Minorities 200M to 100 M so this is a center right country whom voted for Nadar and Gary Johnson that cost Gore and Hillary the Election not Blks or Latinos but whites and it's hypocritical because the whites wanted Bill Clinton to finish his term because the Good Economy and Blks wanted Clinton  to resign, Nadar wouldn't have had zero effect if Gore was the Incumbent rather that a challenger and Whites wanted gaffe prone Edwards as Veeep to Kerry, I was never impressed by Edwards I was calling on Kerry to pick GEPHARDT, Edwards cost Kerry the Election

Biden is not a failure it takes longer than two yrs to eradicate a virus Measles, Mumps Chicken pox took a decade to eradicate but people want instant gratification, we are never gonna return to pre Pandemic norms we are an immigrant country look at CA

Having said this whites since slavery own the Majority of the wealth of Blks inherit a H they get a 150 K my Grandma inherited in 1994 a 50 K H and my mom a 100K and now I didn't get my inheritance but sis got a 150K, whites whom live in the suburbs inherit 800K Homes

Latinos and Chinese and Filipino especially Asians get to live in Hawaii because they are enterprenaurs as well as Japanese, the most expensive state to live
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 08:55:13 AM »

That when running for president, you need to run for the entire government, not just the post of the presidency itself.

Most of us expected a larger House majority and more than a tied Senate to happen by default, so the biggest lesson that can be taken is that needs to be a much bigger campaign priority in the future--two more Senate seats and we would've had the filibuster gone entirely and a lot more would've gotten done.

So the opposite of the lesson we supposedly learned from 2016?  Hillary kept going to random states to campaign for Senate candidates instead of Wisconsin, because before Comey's October surprise she had it in the bag.  But then after she lost everyone said, why didn't she go to Wisconsin more.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 09:18:36 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 09:27:21 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

I think users forget how narrowly Biden won the won 50/45 he only went to 60/40 in the aftermath of the insurrection and the George Floyd protests were political and stimulus checks were given to seniors or people in Disability and people under 30 that don't have kids, now there are only enhanced child tax credits and most people have cut back on children, they are still having kids but not 3 but 1.5 and some kids are adopted or from previous marriages

The damage to Biden polls were due to Ukraine and gas prices but Harris poll had Ds and Rs deadlocked at ,50 but these same pollsters have Biden at 41

We knew that George Floyd protest was not just sympathy but Political LeBron and Curry went back to their rich and famous lifestyle and Floyd had a Gold casket funeral before the 33M was paid out Kyrie, Lebron, Klay Thompson and Curry  all gave monies to Floyd to have a Gold casket funeral

It wasn't all political but since Roe has been overturned the gravity of the protest isn't the same, why because our athletes aren't protesting anymore like during Floyd all taking into consideration when you are comparing 2020/2022

Biden is tracjing the same as 2020/ but partisan trends don't play out exactly in Midterms as in Prez we won MO, VA, MT and PA and almost won TN and won OH am since 1996 in 2006 and we won MT, OH, AZ, WV but lost TN, TX, MO, IN  FL and ND and MA and MD in 2018 but Hillary and Biden won only blue wall states

Rs think with their nut maps we are going back to 2000/2004, NO  even in 2010 in the biggest landslide loss Reid won in NV and CO was carried by Bennet , this secures CCM and SISOLAK chances, whom have won 9/10 polls

As my signature states nothing is final until we Cast  our votes
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 10:23:08 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 10:26:10 AM by Reluctant hardcore partisan Darthpi »

So you want Biden to endorse repealing the filibuster, even though you know it would be doomed to failure.  Biden already tried to get Manchin/Sinema to make a carve-out in the filibuster for voting rights, and they wouldn't do that.  Biden also said he's in favor of a carve-out for abortion.  Can you please tell me what is the point of Biden staking out a politically unpopular position that he knows has a 0% chance of successHuh

The fact that you think it is politically unpopular to say "the government should usually be able to pass laws that have majority support" tells me an extraordinary amount about your worldview.

Also, sometimes you talk about ideas you know can't pass at the present because you're trying to build support for changes in the future. If you aren't even making the argument, it's a lot harder to get people to change their minds.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 11:49:21 AM »

Standing for normalcy rather than going forward is a bad idea. Take a direction, a real direction, and stick with it.

Adding to it, if you message in the general intent, if you fail, you can get a martyr complex down the road.

darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2022, 12:29:44 PM »

I don't think there is any lesson.  We're just completely screwed.  People are really stupid, and Biden basically rolled snake eyes as far as random events happening in his presidency, what with COVID lingering on through endless mutations, the economy headed south, Russia invading Ukraine, China doing this absurd zero-covid strategy that's screwed up all the supply chains, and right-wing populists getting elected all around the globe.

Biden could have:

- Not passed the ARP, unless it was paid for by taxes
- Not pushed the "inflation is transitory" myth (the biggest political lie since the Bush years), and pressured the Federal Reserve to increase interest rates 10 months earlier
- Not extended the rent moratorium
- Not pass expanded unemployment when it was trending down
- Not done vaccine requirements; my brother quit one of his jobs because of them (they wanted him to get a third jab when he just got his second jab two months before....)
- Had a plan for leaving out of Afghanistan instead of leaving many billions of dollars of equipment and doing a very rushed leave after he lied to the American people that the Afghanistan rollout wouldn't lead to helicopters airlifting citizens out of it
- Laid out a health care plan instead of wasting capital on the garbage ARP
- Not shut down the pipelines and given more support to the oil industry from the beginning
- Not picked Kamala Harris, a VP who was only picked because she was a black woman instead of any sort of qualifications or popular support.
- List goes on

Your boy Biden is a f***ing failure, I wish I would have voted for Trump instead of this [REDACTED] senile doofus. For every 2-3 things Biden did right, he did 7-8 things wrong. At least Trump was more like 4.5 right / 5.5 wrong

As frustrated as I am with Biden, this is patently absurd. You really need to sort out your priorities if you are somehow coming to the conclusion that misjudging inflation is worse than trying to carry out a self-coup.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2022, 12:54:12 PM »

I don't think there is any lesson.  We're just completely screwed.  People are really stupid, and Biden basically rolled snake eyes as far as random events happening in his presidency, what with COVID lingering on through endless mutations, the economy headed south, Russia invading Ukraine, China doing this absurd zero-covid strategy that's screwed up all the supply chains, and right-wing populists getting elected all around the globe.

Biden could have:

- Not pushed the "inflation is transitory" myth (the biggest political lie since the Bush years), and pressured the Federal Reserve to increase interest rates 10 months earlier
- Not started the disinformation governance board
- Not done vaccine requirements; my brother quit one of his jobs because of them (they wanted him to get a third jab when he just got his second jab two months before....)
- Had a plan for leaving out of Afghanistan instead of leaving many billions of dollars of equipment and doing a very rushed leave after he lied to the American people that the Afghanistan rollout wouldn't lead to helicopters airlifting citizens out of it
- Not shut down the pipelines and given more support to the oil industry from the beginning
- Not picked Kamala Harris, a VP who was only picked because she was a black woman instead of any sort of qualifications or popular support.
- List goes on

Your boy Biden is a freaking failure, I wish I would have voted for Trump instead of this neurodivergent senile doofus. For every 2-3 things Biden did right, he did 7-8 things wrong. At least Trump was more like 4.5 right / 5.5 wrong
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2022, 12:58:02 PM »

Biden could have:

- List goes on

Your boy Biden is a f***ing failure, I wish I would have voted for Trump instead of this [REDACTED] senile doofus. For every 2-3 things Biden did right, he did 7-8 things wrong. At least Trump was more like 4.5 right / 5.5 wrong

As frustrated as I am with Biden, this is patently absurd. You really need to sort out your priorities if you are somehow coming to the conclusion that misjudging inflation is worse than trying to carry out a self-coup.

The average American who is actually working for a living cares far more about inflation than a "self-coup", whatever the hell that means. I understand now why people were so pissed back then; Joe Biden is driving this country into the ground and he should have never been elected in the first place.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2022, 01:05:47 PM »

Biden could have:

- List goes on

The average American who is actually working for a living cares far more about inflation than a "self-coup", whatever the hell that means. I understand now why people were so pissed back then; Joe Biden is driving this country into the ground and he should have never been elected in the first place.

The country was already in the ground. The whole point of Biden was to not dig further, maybe even get out, but this just isn't happening.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2022, 02:03:41 PM »

That when running for president, you need to run for the entire government, not just the post of the presidency itself.

Most of us expected a larger House majority and more than a tied Senate to happen by default, so the biggest lesson that can be taken is that needs to be a much bigger campaign priority in the future--two more Senate seats and we would've had the filibuster gone entirely and a lot more would've gotten done.

So the opposite of the lesson we supposedly learned from 2016?  Hillary kept going to random states to campaign for Senate candidates instead of Wisconsin, because before Comey's October surprise she had it in the bag.  But then after she lost everyone said, why didn't she go to Wisconsin more.

It's deeply ironic you're using Wisconsin though given that's a state where a Senate seat was also lost, which does more to prove my point than whatever backwards argument you're trying to make. If she had visited there, that may very well have been both a senate seat AND a 10 electoral votes that would've been retained, so my point stands.

Hillary's mistake was treating the election like she had it in the bag in the first place, and overestimating the public not to elect somebody like Trump.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2022, 02:49:23 PM »

Biden could have:

- List goes on

Drop your red and switch to a nice shade of fascist brown
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2022, 03:21:54 PM »

Biden could have:

- List goes on

You need some new material. You should be on your knees begging  and listening to everything I say if you want to win elections in the future. I’m a Biden voter who hates him now. Warnock can probably get my vote if he writes a substantial deficit reduction bill, but Biden is going to have to work a whole lot harder to get my vote for President. He’s my elected official and I expect him to do what I say.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2022, 01:19:55 AM »

The average American who is actually working for a living cares far more about inflation than a "self-coup", whatever the hell that means.

Whether or not the "average American" recognizes the significance of an event like 1/6 is completely irrelevant to its fundamental importance.

It would be a very nice change of pace if we could go just one thread without tripping over ourselves to prove to the other side that our side's beliefs are the most in-touch with ordinary people.

If you think that 1/6 was not a big deal and that the congressional hearings are nothing more than partisan showmanship, okay... make that argument. Defend your beliefs on the basis that they're the most moral or most pragmatic way to reach x goal.

Enough of this "I am the closest to the median American" nonsense, it doesn't lead to a productive discussion.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2022, 09:10:23 AM »

Biden could have:

- List goes on

You need some new material. You should be on your knees begging  and listening to everything I say if you want to win elections in the future. I’m a Biden voter who hates him now. Warnock can probably get my vote if he writes a substantial deficit reduction bill, but Biden is going to have to work a whole lot harder to get my vote for President. He’s my elected official and I expect him to do what I say.

If we stab you with a pin to deflate your huge self-importance, do you think it'd help increase the oxygen supply in the air enough to offset the Amazon forest's collapse?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2022, 10:25:35 AM »

For Democrats not to nominate a near octogenarian from a completely different political era for President.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »

Biden could have:

- List goes on

Your boy Biden is a freaking failure, I wish I would have voted for Trump instead of this neurodivergent senile doofus. For every 2-3 things Biden did right, he did 7-8 things wrong. At least Trump was more like 4.5 right / 5.5 wrong

This is just a gish gallop so I'm not going to waste my time responding to every single BS item.  I just want to point out that you included "not started the disinformation governance board" on here, which was literally nothing.  Like the board was started to try and deal with a border problem, it didn't do anything, conservatives made up a bunch of nonsense about it because it has a dystopian-sounding name, and then they shut it down without doing anything.

And that's on your list of the reasons why Biden is a failure.  Pretty indicative of the quality of the rest of your list.  I could go on but, again, I'm not letting you waste my time with a gish gallop.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2022, 11:51:34 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2022, 11:55:57 AM by DTC »

Biden could have:

- List goes on

This is just a gish gallop so I'm not going to waste my time responding to every single BS item.  I just want to point out that you included "not started the disinformation governance board" on here, which was literally nothing.  Like the board was started to try and deal with a border problem, it didn't do anything, conservatives made up a bunch of nonsense about it because it has a dystopian-sounding name, and then they shut it down without doing anything.

And that's on your list of the reasons why Biden is a failure.  Pretty indicative of the quality of the rest of your list.  I could go on but, again, I'm not letting you waste my time with a gish gallop.

Given that you took the time to read the middle of the list, it looks like this list triggered you enough to waste your time anyways Wink

It would be wise for you to try and listen to me, given that we share about 70-75% of our ideology. Hell I'm even considering voting for Raphael Warnock over Herschel Walker... but if democrats choose to not listen to me, they will pay the price. My demands are clear.

Can't say I didn't warn you Wink
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2022, 10:23:19 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2022, 10:33:14 PM by Devout Centrist »

It would be wise for you to try and listen to me, given that we share about 70-75% of our ideology. Hell I'm even considering voting for Raphael Warnock over Herschel Walker... but if democrats choose to not listen to me, they will pay the price. My demands are clear.
bro you are like in the top ~5% of Americans by income. Aside from things with widespread support, Democrats shouldn’t be catering to your interests period.

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2022, 12:14:18 AM »

bro you are like in the top ~5% of Americans by income. Aside from things with widespread support, Democrats shouldn’t be catering to your interests period.

I assume that's where the conviction that he's the single most important voter Democrats should listen to comes from.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2022, 01:07:07 AM »

You can't solve every problem by spending more money and in particular inflation is one of the biggest poison pills politically.

Positioning foreign policy decisions around photo ops and publicity will bite you in the ass every time. if Biden had taken more time with the Afghanistan withdrawal and dropped the "out by 20th anniversary of 9/11" posturing it would not have been the embarrassing debacle that it was.

Afghanistan creating the perception of his being weak combined with inflation are the reasons his approval is sub 40% right now.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2022, 04:26:53 PM »

The main lesson is that the United States is not a democracy and there's no solution to our current crisis that keeps our current government structure in tact in any recognizable state.

The fact that the party that has won a majority of votes in all but one presidential election in the past three decades, including the most recent one by the largest vote total in history by a huge margin and that voters delivered a trifecta to is completely helpless is not a sustainable situation. If someone's solution is "vote," they're trying to scam you. You can't vote yourself out of a situation caused by the fact that votes don't influence the government
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies