Lori Lightfoot states she'll only give 1-on-1 interviews to "Black and Brown" journalists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:24:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lori Lightfoot states she'll only give 1-on-1 interviews to "Black and Brown" journalists
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Lori Lightfoot states she'll only give 1-on-1 interviews to "Black and Brown" journalists  (Read 4417 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2021, 03:52:53 PM »

I suspect this is more just a deeply unpopular politician trying to avoid scrutiny than some sort of New Left idpol nonsense at heart though.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 04:02:09 PM »

She is a racist, yes.  And she released a statement doubling down on it this morning - she has no shame.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »

Imagine if Trump had declared that only white journalists could ask him questions.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 04:12:44 PM »

Imagine if a Republican mayor or state legislator said they'd only give interviews to White journalists.

They'd be strung-up by national Democrats and the MSM immediately, with red avatars calling out the "blue avatar silence" in a 10-page USGD megathread on the topic.  There'd be stories written about it in national publications and Members of Congress would be compelled/forced to weigh in.  Of course, this performative coverage would all be in service to painting the GOP as a poisonous, racist organization fully enveloped with White supremacy.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 04:22:32 PM »

Imagine if a Republican mayor or state legislator said they'd only give interviews to White journalists.

They'd be strung-up by national Democrats and the MSM immediately, with red avatars calling out the "blue avatar silence" in a 10-page USGD megathread on the topic.  There'd be stories written about it in national publications and Members of Congress would be compelled/forced to weigh in.  Of course, this performative coverage would all be in service to painting the GOP as a poisonous, racist organization fully enveloped with White supremacy.

Quite.  Most of the condemnations I've seen of Lightfoot are basically, "Oh, this is not good optics" "She has the right idea but is going about it the wrong way", and "She doesn't really mean it so why bother".
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 04:24:17 PM »

We had Republicans attempt to establish what was essentially a white supremacist caucus in the House, so I do not want to hear any "But if Republicans did" arguments.

Anyone with a mind knows that Black and Latino citizens have a very specific issue set that require focused attention. Speaking to Black and Brown journalists exclusively is not racist, it is helping to close a long term gap of minority issues not being heard.

Imagine if Trump had declared that only white journalists could ask him questions.

Why would you care? Aren't you a Sanders supporter?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »

No one really likes Lightfoot so no one's defending her and hence there's no backlash to this with her getting constantly bashed or strung up, that's all there is to it. And like I said this is at heart obviously just a woke excuse to avoid being scrutinized at all.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 04:36:34 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 04:39:52 PM »

Lightfoot has been an embarrassment to the city of Chicago, to all of Chicagoland, and to the state of Illinois. At least with Rahm he was a garbage patch that was quiet and not nationally newsworthy while in office.

I sorely regret the three votes I managed to convince to get her in office.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 04:40:59 PM »

Feels like news agencies based in Chicago should start submitting as many requests as possible from respected white/Asian/Jewish reporters and let the administration turn them down. Create a paper trail, because this is genuinely actionable.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »

Lori Lightfoot is a clown. Chicago should be embarrassed.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »

Mayor Lightfoot performatively & pointlessly feigns progressivism, news at 11.

But seriously, if you (rightly) had a problem with Trump choosing to only take questions from right-wing news media like Fox News, Newsmax, & OANN, yet don't see the problem with this, then there's an exact word for that & it's "hypocrisy."
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 05:01:33 PM »

Lightfoot is a crazy woman, she got a lot of white ethnic support in 2019, she will probably lose that support in 2023, she may not even run in 2023
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »

If she really wanted to make change, she should've demanded that any interview cover minority issues, not discriminate based on race, lol.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 05:05:28 PM »

Anyone with a mind knows that Black and Latino citizens have a very specific issue set that require focused attention. Speaking to Black and Brown journalists exclusively is not racist, it is helping to close a long term gap of minority issues not being heard.

Lightfoot is free to elevate the voices of  Black and Brown journalists by giving them as many interviews as she pleases.  The problem is with her pat denial of giving any time to White journalists soley on the basis of their race.  While her ideas supposedly behind her sentiment might not be sincere (I suspect she is just trying to avoid unfriendly media), her rhetoric is no less divisive. 

That she feels like she can get away with this shows how illiberal, dangerous and un-American critical race theory is.   
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 05:07:20 PM »

We had Republicans attempt to establish what was essentially a white supremacist caucus in the House, so I do not want to hear any "But if Republicans did" arguments.
That lasted like a day after it was widely condemned by Republicans.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 05:13:22 PM »

Cool, let's set up an interview with Allen West

Lightfoot is free to elevate the voices of  Black and Brown journalists by giving them as many interviews as she pleases.  The problem is with her pat denial of giving any time to White journalists soley on the basis of their race. 

The left can't tell the difference between tearing down white people and helping minorities anymore. Or maybe in their mind there just isn't one.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 05:14:07 PM »

Such stupidity
Gross
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 05:16:02 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2021, 05:20:12 PM by emotional hardcore »

Cool, let's set up an interview with Allen West

Lightfoot is free to elevate the voices of  Black and Brown journalists by giving them as many interviews as she pleases.  The problem is with her pat denial of giving any time to White journalists soley on the basis of their race.  

The left can't tell the difference between tearing down white people and helping minorities anymore. Or maybe in their mind there just isn't one.
Bit of a stretch to lump in Lightfoot with "the left" especially as the left wing of the Chicago City Council especially hates her. This is really just a failed mayor trying to avoid scrutiny and distract from it with performatively woke nonsense.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 05:19:00 PM »

This is the stupidest thing, this is like saying “I’ll only give 1 on 1’s with the Chicago Tribune”
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 05:19:43 PM »

If she really wanted to make change, she should've demanded that any interview cover minority issues,

Ah but you see that might mean covering things like continued Chicago PD brutality and it neglecting black neighborhoods now suffering from soaring crime rates and the repeated ICE raids she is doing nothing about. So not surprising she doesn't want to.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 05:20:27 PM »

Lightfoot is free to elevate the voices of  Black and Brown journalists by giving them as many interviews as she pleases.  The problem is with her pat denial of giving any time to White journalists soley on the basis of their race.  While her ideas supposedly behind her sentiment might not be sincere (I suspect she is just trying to avoid unfriendly media), her rhetoric is no less divisive. 

That she feels like she can get away with this shows how illiberal, dangerous and un-American critical race theory is.   

And to be clear - she will get away with it.  A white politican would be out of their job by tomorrow.  The pressure to resign would be overwhelming, Democrat or Republican.  Shes going to get a couple finger wags and this will not be a story by next week.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 05:27:00 PM »

Well that's stupid.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 05:32:27 PM »

This is trashiest thing I’ve read in a long long time.

I could call this person lots of uneducated things but I’ll restrict myself by pointing out this is the kind of dumb coward stuff the left mocks when they talk about empty identity politics. It’s what happens when collective important agenda is appropriated to serve individual selfish interests.

I don’t care, I will keep making fun of post-modern identity politics as far as it’s used in stuff like this. You can always distinguish the serious concerns with elite gaslighting to protect their standing.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 05:34:41 PM »

Surely this is a violation of some law somewhere?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies