Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:57:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 73
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations  (Read 160255 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: November 11, 2017, 12:18:54 AM »

Sue Bell Cobb really would’ve locked up this race at this point. Shame she’s running for a governor and not for this seat.

Or Walt Maddox.

But Jones is a good man and the antithesis of Moore. Jones would probably be one of the best people in the senate if he gets elected.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1401 on: November 11, 2017, 12:22:12 AM »

The more I hear about these allegations, the more I believe they are true. Moore needs to step aside.

I applaud you for putting country before party, we need more Republicans like you.

This. Also, I would encourage you to vote for Jones as a punishment to the Republican party. Tell them to give you a quality candidate.

I would be all in for Jones but I really don't like his stance on abortion.

I know it can be hard to stomach voting for someone you disagree with on an important issue. But something you might want to consider is that if Jones wins, he'll be up for re-election in 2020 the same time Trump is running for re-election. Jones would have pretty much no chance to get re-elected, and maybe the Republicans will come up with someone to run against him that you'll like a lot more. But if Moore wins, it might be a lot harder to get rid of him in a primary unless he actually goes to jail. Not to mention that he will be representing you and your state in Congress for all that time.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1402 on: November 11, 2017, 12:23:00 AM »

Sue Bell Cobb really would’ve locked up this race at this point. Shame she’s running for a governor and not for this seat.

Or Walt Maddox.

But Jones is a good man and the antithesis of Moore. Jones would probably be one of the best people in the senate if he gets elected.

I’d prefer the Democrat who has actually won statewide before, personally.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #1403 on: November 11, 2017, 12:23:36 AM »

The more I hear about these allegations, the more I believe they are true. Moore needs to step aside.

I applaud you for putting country before party, we need more Republicans like you.

This. Also, I would encourage you to vote for Jones as a punishment to the Republican party. Tell them to give you a quality candidate.

I know it can be hard to stomach voting for someone you disagree with on an important issue. But something you might want to consider is that if Jones wins, he'll be up for re-election in 2020 the same time Trump is running for re-election. Jones would have pretty much no chance to get re-elected, and maybe the Republicans will come up with someone to run against him that you'll like a lot more. But if Moore wins, it might be a lot harder to get rid of him in a primary unless he actually goes to jail.
Roy Moore is over 70 at the very most he is retiring in 2026.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #1404 on: November 11, 2017, 12:25:20 AM »

What the fuck does "Benjamin Harrison he is w" even mean?

Was trying to type "Benjamin Harrison he is woke" but fell asleep before he could finish
It was supposed to Benjamin Harrison is way beyond comparison,
Which is a Disney song.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1405 on: November 11, 2017, 12:34:38 AM »

I know it can be hard to stomach voting for someone you disagree with on an important issue. But something you might want to consider is that if Jones wins, he'll be up for re-election in 2020 the same time Trump is running for re-election. Jones would have pretty much no chance to get re-elected, and maybe the Republicans will come up with someone to run against him that you'll like a lot more. But if Moore wins, it might be a lot harder to get rid of him in a primary unless he actually goes to jail. Not to mention that he will be representing you and your state in Congress for all that time.

Literally the only thing Alabama Republicans would have to do to ensure Jones gets Blanched in 2020 is to not nominate a pedophile. Can they manage that much?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1406 on: November 11, 2017, 12:37:41 AM »

Can you really trust the detailed accusations corroborated by 31 people if a guy who took money from a charity disputes them? Partisanship makes it harder to see who is credible.

I didn't see anything about how Moore says he knew two of them and also admits to dating teenagers in the last few pages of the thread. He still hasn't confessed to doing the things they said he did, but it's not like he would do that. Yet the sound bite if "I don't dispute that" can't help him.
Him dating 17-20 year olds is not a crime they both admit nothing happened.
If he was lying wouldn’t he have denied all of it?
Something not being technically illegal does not make it moral or ethical. If someone went up to my 17 year old sister and was 32 asking her on a date, I would grab a shot gun.
I agree it’s very odd and creepy but this is 40 years ago he has been married for 35 years if it turned this happened within the past 35 years I would unendorsement because then he’s cheating on his wife.

Roy Moore married a woman 14 years younger and they have a blessed marriage 33 years later.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1407 on: November 11, 2017, 12:45:32 AM »

Literally the only thing Alabama Republicans would have to do to ensure Jones gets Blanched in 2020 is to not nominate a pedophile. Can they manage that much?

*proceeds to nominate a KKK Wizard*

Lmao

Never in a million years did I think we'd be mourning the loss of elder statesmen like Richard Shelby, Jeff Sessions, and Luther Strange.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1408 on: November 11, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »

Or Walt Maddox.

I’d prefer the Democrat who has actually won statewide before, personally.

Jones having been elected to prior statewide office may have made him a better candidate, but it wouldn't have made him a better Senator. The fact of the matter is, were Cobb elected, she'd be to the right of Manchin. Jones, if elected, would be a mainstream Democrat.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #1409 on: November 11, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »

I expected some hysterical responses to my post calling for the election of Moore along with some name calling. That is even though you do not knowing anything about me.  So I will let you know more about me than you probably want to know. This should possibly be posted on another thread, but I am posting here as I have been personally called names on this thread like confederate

I was born in 1944 in Michigan. I became active in the Republican Party in 1959.  I moved to Memphis, TN in 1975 and to the delta of Arkansas in 1978.  At that time the city I moved to  was 70% white and the fastest growing city in Arkansas.  It has not grown since then because of the Carter hyper inflation and dismal economy.  Also businesses were moving out of downtown Memphis on the river.  Businesses moved further east in Tennessee and South into Mississippi.  The Mississippi River is a barrier. Today my city is 65% black.

The demographic changes have caused the Methodist church I attend to suffer a significant decline in membership.  I am proposing to other members that our next pastor should be black.
I know that will cause some members to leave.  But I believe it is the only way forward.  I guess that makes me a confederate.

Since I became active in the Republican Party in 1959 I have supported the following candidates in the primaries Goldwater in 64, Nixon in 68, Ford in 76, Reagan in 80 after New Hampshire, Bush in 88 and 92, Alexander in 96, Bush in 00, McCain in 08 against our own former Governor Huckabee,  Romney in 12, and Rubio and then Kasich in 16.  I think that makes me pretty much a mainstream Republican.  

Be warned I am generally a yellow dog Republican.

Locally I am known as generally a “red Republican.” That is like a “red Tory” in Great Britain or Canada.  But I am not that “red.”  In Michigan I would be a moderate conservative. . I do love Atlas’ proper use of Party colors.

I was a never Trumper till after the the Indiana primary.  I decided then that after being subjected to the Clintons through two years of Bill as Attorney General of Arkansas, 12 years of Bill as Governor, 8 years of Bill as President, and 6 years of Hillary as Secretary of State I had had quite enough of the the Clintons.  I became a Never Hillaryer.  Every time my wife and I see Hillary on TV we are thankful we made that decision.

With respect to the Alabama Senate race I wish Brooks had won, though he is a foolish member of the Freedom Caucus.  I considered that Strange had made a dirty dirty deal.  I considered Moore a jerk.  

However due to the fact that both Parties have come to the point of being unable to work together and Jones is a left winger rather than a blue dog,  I will not give up any Senate or House seat without a fight.  If I see away for a another Republican to get on the ballot or that a right-in could win, I would switch my support.

I am late in posting this statement due to the fact my wife and I took the black director/pastor of the local Christian mission in the area to dinner at an iconic restaurant in our county.  More evidence I am a Confederate.

I will never post anything this long again on a single non individual topic thread. It is just to give you some knowledge of me.

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1410 on: November 11, 2017, 12:52:24 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2017, 12:54:51 AM by heatcharger »

Fundies will justify anything. Bonus points for the “I have a black friend” routine.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #1411 on: November 11, 2017, 12:54:46 AM »

My wife said she heard the governor of Alabama had some power to delay the election. Is that correct?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1412 on: November 11, 2017, 12:55:43 AM »

My wife said she heard the governor of Alabama had some power to delay the election. Is that correct?

You know the internet well enough to find this site but using google is a little too much?
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1413 on: November 11, 2017, 01:03:08 AM »

That's nice and all, but why do you support a child molester?

You should be like me and put country over party. Jones seems fairly reasonable.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1414 on: November 11, 2017, 01:05:56 AM »

That's nice and all, but why do you support a child molester?

You should be like me and put country over party. Jones seems fairly reasonable.

There's also always the option to just not vote for Moore.

If Jones is elected, and it's a big if, he won't be very long. A former #NeverTrump Republican -- I'll ignore the irony of a former #Never -- should understand the importance of putting a check on his Presidency through the legislative branch.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1415 on: November 11, 2017, 01:09:10 AM »

Fundies will justify anything. Bonus points for the “I have a black friend” routine.

I have to admit, that part of his comment made me laugh.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1416 on: November 11, 2017, 01:31:08 AM »

Maybe not. This is a special election for a US Senate seat, states are not supposed to begin a special election, send out ballots, have voting begin and then just halt/push it back because the ruling party decided its candidate wasn't good enough.

I'd like to think almost anyone could see major problems with that - legal even. You should expect a lawsuit if they try.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #1417 on: November 11, 2017, 01:44:14 AM »

I face a bunch of assassins .

You are probably right about my dinner with a black pastor.

But you ignore my statement on changes in my church.  That's is a big deal for a southern church.  My actions will probably lose me some friends and get me some critics. You should encourage that and not criticize it.  We have a liberal Never Trumper pastor. He wants to bring in black members.  I do not believe he can do it.  We need a black pastor to do it I believe.  I am willing to try.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1418 on: November 11, 2017, 02:03:47 AM »

I face a bunch of assassins .

You are probably right about my dinner with a black pastor.

But you ignore my statement on changes in my church.  That's is a big deal for a southern church.  My actions will probably lose me some friends and get me some critics. You should encourage that and not criticize it.  We have a liberal Never Trumper pastor. He wants to bring in black members.  I do not believe he can do it.  We need a black pastor to do it I believe.  I am willing to try.

I accept that you have good intentions. But - first, not everything depends on your goodwill, as you yourself admit. And, second, there is an old proverb about where "good intentions" frequently lead. Sad, but often - true.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #1419 on: November 11, 2017, 02:12:36 AM »

I cannot figure out how to quote statements I am replying to.

But as to changing the ballot at this late time, you Democrats did it in New Jersey in 2002.  What is good for Democrats is not ok for Republicans I guess.

As I said before you Democrats supported a man who killed a young lady in a pond for over 40 years.
You want me to get excited about an event that might have occurred in 1979 when no one died and there is no evidence of recurrence of the activity. 

If you want to start a write-in for a Republican I might join you if I thought it could succeed.  I will not support a left wig Democrat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1420 on: November 11, 2017, 02:47:28 AM »

^ So - pedophile is still better then Democrat?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1421 on: November 11, 2017, 02:55:25 AM »

New Gravis poll out soon.

I think this is winnable now for Jones.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #1422 on: November 11, 2017, 04:23:46 AM »

Read Arkansas Yankee's posts and you'll gain a valuable insight into the mind of the median Alabama voter

Explain Alabama_Indy's take on this matter, then.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1423 on: November 11, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »

When?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1424 on: November 11, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »

I think that Alabama would elect a socially conservative, economically populist Democrat.  Tax those latte-sipping elites in Manhattan and Hollywood to death, redistribute the money back to my family so my kids can get better health care.

There needs to be a Democratic wing that appeals to Southern whites - you can reframe it all.  I would advise all Democratic candidates in the South to really run faith-based campaigns and talk about issues within an evangelical framework.  For example, Creation Care for environmental protection.

It's a very hard sell, but there were Democrats in the olden days in the South that were not completely bought by special interests.  They were more populist and pro-consumer, pro-worker.  They were able to win and hold onto seats but they were traditionalists.  A lot of them were also segregationists.

Sometimes a party needs to give up some things to get a little of what it wants.  An Alabama Democratic senator will have to vote against abortion all of the time and even be very vocal about being pro-life.  There are cultural positions to take- for example, supporting Christian symbols on public property.  I don't see why there should be any fuss about having Biblical passages or the Ten Commandments in a state house or a courthouse.  Just let it go.

Make the fuss when there's a tax bill that's deliberately written for the wealthy.  Very few people in rural Alabama are represented by that bill.  It's a bill that will help Beverly Hills and the Upper East Side, not Alabama.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies