Argentina General Discussion: Shock Therapy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Argentina General Discussion: Shock Therapy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Argentina General Discussion: Shock Therapy  (Read 8288 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2023, 11:02:54 PM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2023, 11:19:48 PM »

Western culture is a very broad and vague term covering a number of cultures that are based on or profoundly influenced by the cultures of the Catholic Western part of Europe (which partly became Protestant later on) where Latin was the prestige language and all their diaspora cultures in settler colonial societies founded by Brits, Spaniards and Portuguese etc. It's broad because it's an "umbrella term" (even in Europe Polish and Portuguese cultures aren't exactly alike). Whereas Indigenous cultures are usually based on a particular indigenous group or a number of closely related groups. There are plenty of modern non-Western "umbrella cultures" like the Indonesian or the Swahili-based in East Africa and the pan-Arabic popular culture (with Egypt as its hub), but they aren't indigenous. Even if Latin American mainstream culture differs from the North American and Western European mainstream culture it is still a variation of Western culture.

And unlike Western country of USA, this isn’t part of a separated “Afro-American” culture, this is Brazilian culture where everyone participates and has as their background regardless of their origin.

Have you ever even been to the US? I feel like you think America is some kind of underdeveloped sh**thole compared to the shining utopia that is Belo Horizonte.

US has all these SEPARATED cultural bubbles. All part of “American culture” yeah but none really widely representing the entire nation as a whole, which is why people outside tend to see US as not having a cohesive national identity or culture. It takes something from everywhere while being unable to create an unique identity of its own where everyone feels they belong to.

Don't mean to to get too off topic - I think there's some truth to this, but also American culture is sort of "generic" culture. Like when you play a game and it starts on standard settings. That's why a lot of people don't view us as having an all encompassing culture, because it's sort of default.

Also both major parties and their donors benefit from these divisions, especially the GOP - a country not divided by race/culture/gender is going to align on class, and that is what the elites fear the most.

Finally, it doesn't help that many Dems and left wingers finger wag at anyone who claims to care about America more than other countries. If you can't even put your own country first, how can you have any national pride? It's nonsensical.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2023, 11:57:20 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2023, 12:04:39 AM by Red Velvet »

Don't mean to to get too off topic - I think there's some truth to this, but also American culture is sort of "generic" culture. Like when you play a game and it starts on standard settings. That's why a lot of people don't view us as having an all encompassing culture, because it's sort of default.

Also both major parties and their donors benefit from these divisions, especially the GOP - a country not divided by race/culture/gender is going to align on class, and that is what the elites fear the most.

Finally, it doesn't help that many Dems and left wingers finger wag at anyone who claims to care about America more than other countries. If you can't even put your own country first, how can you have any national pride? It's nonsensical.

It’s not because it’s “default” or “generic” at all but necessarily tied to the specific  background of how you as a nation was formed.

Every nation is defined by the people who occupy it and the customs they share COLLECTIVELY. When we talk about “Western culture” we naturally associate it to European people and traditions. When we talk about “African culture” we think of African people and their customs.

The Americas are the single continent in the world that isn’t mainly occupied by the “local ethnicity” as Native Indigenous were mostly exterminated and only are the majority nowadays in places like Bolivia or Peru.

That means the Americas in practice are a continent of SETTLERS. People from literally all around the world came to this continent, occupied it and redefined what it means to be an “American”.

However, this occupation happened very differently, which is what mainly differentiates Latin America from US/Canada. Spanish and Portuguese were Mediterranean culture people already historically used to miscegenation as their Mediterranean historical ties with Western Asia and North Africa were even stronger than with North Europeans. The Muslim Moors even occupied Iberian Peninsula previously for centuries. Meanwhile the average British weren’t connected to anyone else other than other very white people geographically close to them, which is why they necessarily had a segregationist approach as colonizers.

The mixing of all the influences (African; European; Indigenous; even Asian too) in Latin America created something entirely new of its own in every country of the region that every citizen feels they belong to no matter whatever their origin is. A Brazilian may be white but their behavior and background will still be shaped by significant Indigenous and African cultural influences in a way that simply does NOT happen with actual Westerners.

Whereas in the USA, BECAUSE of segregationist logic, the cultures and influences never really mixed to create something new of its own, they simply stayed on their own separate side and transformed somewhat across time but still never really fusing or uniting into one thing.

Which is why “US American culture” as a whole doesn’t exist, being mostly a bunch of different cultures coexisting but not really connecting with each other in a way to truly represent the culture as a whole.

That’s why people get the feeling of “different US Americas” existing simultaneously in the same space and also why you see your culture as “generic” simply because it isn’t well-defined or very cohesive. USA often has to resort to some vague ideology or foreign enemy to be able to define itself and be able to connect its people through the idea of a “shared identity” that culturally speaking, it simply does not have.

A White person in US adopting “Afro” influences would be perceived as offensive because it’s something that socially doesn’t really belong to them. Even if they share the same country, there isn’t an unified identity. Which is the exact opposite of what I just described in Latin America.

Canada has similar identity and cultural crisis regardless of less diversity (compared to USA) but they also inevitably tie themselves towards the USA.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2023, 01:23:17 AM »

Western culture is a very broad and vague term covering a number of cultures that are based on or profoundly influenced by the cultures of the Catholic Western part of Europe (which partly became Protestant later on) where Latin was the prestige language and all their diaspora cultures in settler colonial societies founded by Brits, Spaniards and Portuguese etc. It's broad because it's an "umbrella term" (even in Europe Polish and Portuguese cultures aren't exactly alike). Whereas Indigenous cultures are usually based on a particular indigenous group or a number of closely related groups. There are plenty of modern non-Western "umbrella cultures" like the Indonesian or the Swahili-based in East Africa and the pan-Arabic popular culture (with Egypt as its hub), but they aren't indigenous. Even if Latin American mainstream culture differs from the North American and Western European mainstream culture it is still a variation of Western culture.

And unlike Western country of USA, this isn’t part of a separated “Afro-American” culture, this is Brazilian culture where everyone participates and has as their background regardless of their origin.

Have you ever even been to the US? I feel like you think America is some kind of underdeveloped sh**thole compared to the shining utopia that is Belo Horizonte.

Excuse me, but what does any of that has to do with racial/cultural history and relations? Which is the actual subject being discussed.

You always seem to take people in the 3rd world not having an inferiority complex so personally that I think it reflects your own insecurities about your own country. Nobody is even talking about the US other than using it as a way to explain how the Latin American background is inherently different and unique due to the miscegenation.

Whereas in US, though it’s also a country in Americas that received tons of influences beyond just Western, it’s inherently different because of the logic of historical segregation. The own internal logic of “appropriation” implies that there are many customs that belong to a specific group and don’t belong to others inside the same country.

Which is something that cannot be applied to LatAm at all, as all these mixed influences are so ingrained in people’s everyday lives that they don’t even see it as “Western” or “Afro” culture, but one of the country as a whole.

US has all these SEPARATED cultural bubbles. All part of “American culture” yeah but none really widely representing the entire nation as a whole, which is why people outside tend to see US as not having a cohesive national identity or culture. It takes something from everywhere while being unable to create an unique identity of its own where everyone feels they belong to.

"The United States doesn't have a cohesive national identity" lol

Our national identity is being American. It's called civic nationalism.

We simply encourage people to retain their traditional customs and practices. When I was little, I lived in a precinct where the Asian, Latino, and Black populations were all over 15%. My house was across from a Chinese-language church and down the street from a Mormon temple.

The vast majority of Americans think that any person, regardless of race, religion, or gender, can become an American. There are Chinese-Americans, Nigerian-Americans, Australian-Americans, Brazilian-Americans, and even Norwegian-Israeli-Americans.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2023, 07:23:11 AM »

We simply encourage people to retain their traditional customs and practices. When I was little, I lived in a precinct where the Asian, Latino, and Black populations were all over 15%. My house was across from a Chinese-language church and down the street from a Mormon temple.

The vast majority of Americans think that any person, regardless of race, religion, or gender, can become an American. There are Chinese-Americans, Nigerian-Americans, Australian-Americans, Brazilian-Americans, and even Norwegian-Israeli-Americans.

Yeah, so? I don’t see how we are supposed to be disagreeing here, you are just confirming everything I said. US doesn’t have a cohesive culture that unifies its people, therefore adopting ideologies and values to define itself.

Capitalist ideals have embodied this definition in post-WWII world: a definition of “freedom” that is as vague and abstract as Peronism itself + Individualism + Private Property defense. Reason why it has to appeal to ideologies to define itself is because it knows that unlike other countries, it doesn’t have an unified culture that glues its people together as they all grew under the historical background of segregation. Which stimulated that a culture of its own to never be properly shaped, still being mostly mirroring European colonizer culture that originated it in the 1st place.

Which is why US is by all means a Western country while Latin America as a region is simply not.

I only really disagree with the last part of your comment. Not everyone is equally welcomed as an “American” like your idealism projects - the notion that US represents Equality isn’t really true. Just see the different treatment immigrants get in US depending where they are from! European immigrants don’t get the same negative reaction that Latin Americans get necessarily because of their mixed race + wealth background.

Many US Americans are against Latin Americans coming into their country because they see that mixed origin as a direct threat to their country “cultural whiteness” as the largest cultural bubble that lives inside and that holds the most power inside the US are White People.

I will end this conversation with a simple questioning to you. Since you seem to believe the USA is organically defined by civic nationalism and the liberal ideology and values people follow more than by its whiteness, if white people were to become a minority in your country, with at least over half of it having Latino or Afro-American origin, do you honestly believe your country would be the exact same as now?

Because if it’s only values and ideology that truly defines USA and everyone who identifies with it can be an American, then it simply doesn’t MATTER where people come from and an increased dominating Latino background will not change US at all. And therefore you have ZERO reasoning to be against it so strongly like BOTH your parties in practice are doing, under a silent bipartisan agreement.

However, if you believe the dominance of Western White bubble still is a very significant part of what makes USA truly be what USA is - then it’s not really the myth of civic nationalism that solely defines your nation background and current actions, isn’t it? And clearly a huge amount of people there do believe in this in the inside if they’re so deeply obsessed with over controlling their borders.

Your nation downfall as it exists today will not come from China; Russia; Iran or anywhere in Asia or Europe. It will come naturally from within and from Latin America. However, it will be a good thing for you and for the world.

From within because US will naturally grow increasingly more diverse and the dominant “White cultural bubble” will lose space and be increasingly contested by a larger share of the population. Which means the US will have to adapt itself to their new reality - though this will also stimulate a reaction from whiteness to preserve its power.

The Gen Z you hate so much for example, represents the beginning of this shift. They are more diverse and the segregationist notions that defined older US generations don’t apply as well to them and the trend id for that to only INTENSIFY for next generations.

Which is why you will see traditional positions that come from a background of whiteness, be increasingly and consistently be more contested. As US citizens transform, so will the positions they support regardless of how you may innocently believe US has a “fixed” set of ideals supposedly inherent to the national identity.

And Latin America because we are the natural mirror to what the real America truly is, therefore our proud existence, culture and identity being the main threat to US white segregationist background, which still mimics European behavior in a land that simply isn’t European.

The more Latin Americans inside the USA redefining those “fixed ideals” you believe in and also not being well-defined by US rigid and separated cultural lines, the better. There aren’t cultural limits or borders to Latin Americans because we are literally everything simultaneously, which makes us perfect to destroy segregationist backgrounds and structures without moving a finger, just by existing and living our lives. That’s because no matter the color of the Latino person, you can be sure they unconsciously behave shaped by a wide variety of diverse influences they sometimes don’t even realize they have in them.

However, more Latin Americans need to be better conscious of this power for it to work, instead of playing down their diversity for the sake of fitting in or belonging to outsider western whiteness decadent definitions. Which is why more people within should stop with the obsession on being “Western” in order to preserve domestic internal privileges even if they themselves are not. The power is exactly on us being literally everything.

This is the last I will say on the matter. If people are this interested on keeping the discussion, they can create a separate thread on the matter so that we all stay talking about this - could be even a general LatAm one. There are tons of chaotic things happening right now in Argentina as a reaction to Milei’s megadecree and I don’t think that has been addressed here at all.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2023, 08:34:03 AM »

Yeah, so? I don’t see how we are supposed to be disagreeing here, you are just confirming everything I said. US doesn’t have a cohesive culture that unifies its people, therefore adopting ideologies and values to define itself.

The US has dominated the generation of "Culture" (broad definition) for the last 150 years. You don't see it because, at the same time, Globalization has "Americanized" the rest of the world.
Why do you think we are posting in English on an US politics message board?
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2023, 08:57:55 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2023, 09:07:09 AM by Red Velvet »

The US has dominated the generation of "Culture" (broad definition) for the last 150 years. You don't see it because, at the same time, Globalization has "Americanized" the rest of the world.
Why do you think we are posting in English on an US politics message board?

We’re talking about different notions of “cultures” here. Production and consumption of media is different than everyday customs and traditions that you only “get” through living in the country itself.

What you consume and understand as “US culture” can vary depending on the internal cultural bubble which produced it. There isn’t one specific unified “US Culture” that gets exported either because culture itself is extremely segregated within the US. Which is part of reason why a wide variety of different media comes from there.

Also, most countries have their own strong production of “culture” in the way you’re talking about as well, it’s just that is mostly destined for internal consumption instead of massively getting exported - which is what happens extensively with US. The way I understand and communicate “humor” for example was necessarily influenced and defined by humorous and charismatic Brazilian Telenovela villains because those are the funniest cultural references I have.

Anyway, let’s get back to Argentina.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2023, 09:07:49 AM »

BRICS is probably grateful this guy is pulling out as opposed to causing mayhem inside the group
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2023, 09:53:44 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2023, 09:57:14 AM by wnwnwn »

On topic, it seems Milei would let employers pay using Bitcoin, in words of his Minister of Foreing Affairs:
https://twitter.com/DianaMondino/status/1737874320322424984?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Newspapers says that this open the posibility of payment in kind.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2023, 12:07:08 PM »

On topic, it seems Milei would let employers pay using Bitcoin, in words of his Minister of Foreing Affairs:
https://twitter.com/DianaMondino/status/1737874320322424984?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Newspapers says that this open the posibility of payment in kind.

La Tercera's headline was "¿Vuelve la Argentina al trueque?". Gotta love the Chilean passive-aggressive trolling.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2023, 05:11:20 AM »

Javier Milei sent his own "Enabling Act", seeking extraordinary powers to govern without Congress. "Shock Therapy" is not enough to describe the descent into authoritarianism that "Ómnibus Decrees" entail
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2023, 07:11:49 AM »

Big protests against the new government already, apparently.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2023, 07:18:10 AM »

'I'm an absolute 🤡. Vote for me'

'Okay. Because you won't be an absolute 🤡'

Lunacy ensues

🤡🌞😧

--

I don't wish economic or political ill will on Argentinians but sometimes you aren't 'duped.' You're just stupid.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2023, 07:20:52 AM »

More charitably, desperate people do desperate things. And there are many occasions when the "what the hell, can things really get any worse?" sentiment has actually been answered in the affirmative.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2023, 08:34:49 AM »

Lunacy ensues

🤡🌞😧

--

I don't wish economic or political ill will on Argentinians but sometimes you aren't 'duped.' You're just stupid.

They were/are in a MUCH worst situation than either US or Brazil in the 2010s. We cannot judge them under the same parameters.

I was the biggest voice against Milei here in the election, warning about how Argentinians conversations reminded me of the experience I went through in 2018 and how it made us in Brazil feel like seeing an younger more innocent brother starting to go through the same crack addiction that we just got cured after a long detox process.

However, I cannot really judge them for wanting something new. It’s a failure of the alternative if they aren’t able to convince people and present themselves as a better alternative than literal insanity. Argentinians were/are very aware that the Milei medicine makes them an experimental laboratory for the whole world to watch and take their conclusions.

I do feel somewhat worried that Milei is doing all that stuff without being blocked by the judiciary or the legislative yet. Maybe it’s because he’s on his first month so honeymoon phase is in the max, but the impression I am getting is that the executive, the president, is WAY more powerful in Argentina than in Brazil where we tend to have a more active and independent Legislative and Judiciary - and I mean this for both the bad and the good consequences that it represents.

There’s a reason why Bolsonaro never did in practice anything as crazy and one-sided authoritarian like Milei is doing now with his megadecrees: He would be putting his own head in danger and buying a fight with Congress; Justice and the people on the streets in general. Maybe Argentina situation being more critical + Milei being less than a month in office creates the situation where these forces want to hive the guy who just got elected a little credit to enact his agenda but if this situation keeps the same in six months from now, without an institutional reaction to these authoritarian abuses, then I would be very concerned.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2023, 09:36:08 AM by wnwnwn »

A reason why shock therapy worked in Peru was because the country didn't have a 'culture of massive protests'. Peru also had the Shining Path problem during the forst years of Alberto Fujimori's goverment, which discouraged protests. Also, after the self coup agisnt the always unpopular Congress and Guzman's capture, Fujimori's popularity only increased. By 1993, a new constitution was approved.

Now, Argentina is a different situation. Remember the 2001 crisis? La Rua had to leave the pink house. Peronists are still allied with those groups that lead protests. Most people seem to just be alineated, but Argentina is the cacerolazo country for a reason. 2024 will be a hard year for Milei and his fellow citizens.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2023, 09:42:01 AM »

Lunacy ensues

🤡🌞😧

--

They were/are in a MUCH worst situation than either US or Brazil in the 2010s. We cannot judge them under the same parameters.

I was the biggest voice against Milei here in the election, warning about how Argentinians conversations reminded me of the experience I went through in 2018 and how it made us in Brazil feel like seeing an younger more innocent brother starting to go through the same crack addiction that we just got cured after a long detox process.

However, I cannot really judge them for wanting something new. It’s a failure of the alternative if they aren’t able to convince people and present themselves as a better alternative than literal insanity. Argentinians were/are very aware that the Milei medicine makes them an experimental laboratory for the whole world to watch and take their conclusions.

I do feel somewhat worried that Milei is doing all that stuff without being blocked by the judiciary or the legislative yet. Maybe it’s because he’s on his first month so honeymoon phase is in the max, but the impression I am getting is that the executive, the president, is WAY more powerful in Argentina than in Brazil where we tend to have a more active and independent Legislative and Judiciary - and I mean this for both the bad and the good consequences that it represents.

There’s a reason why Bolsonaro never did in practice anything as crazy and one-sided authoritarian like Milei is doing now with his megadecrees: He would be putting his own head in danger and buying a fight with Congress; Justice and the people on the streets in general. Maybe Argentina situation being more critical + Milei being less than a month in office creates the situation where these forces want to hive the guy who just got elected a little credit to enact his agenda but if this situation keeps the same in six months from now, without an institutional reaction to these authoritarian abuses, then I would be very concerned.

Well, in the 90's, Brazil was in an even worse situation than Argentina with a 2400% inflation rate, but, Brazil was still a young democracy and was very lucky in having two very good Presidents, Itamar Franco and FHC, that stabilized inflation and the economy and, later, Lula consolidated these achievements during the 2000s The situation of Brazil in the 2010's is different than Argentina, although bad, it doesn't come even close.

The Argentina situation is just heartbreaking. Everybody knew that, whoever was elected President, the country would fall into more problems, and like Red Velvet wrote and I think I wrote it in the Argentinian election thread, when everything failed and there is no hope or solution, we cannot put ourselves in the shoes of the people of countries like Argentina. The desperation of the people is just overwhelming.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2023, 09:50:25 AM »

What Milei is trying to do by sending everything he promised to congress to be approved now (the law package has more than 300 pages and more than 1,000 articles) is actually the only strategy that could work if he wants to make structural changes. He still has the political capital that gained in the election and that probably isn't going to last for too long. He will also try to reach a compromise with congress to approve most of the proposed economic reforms leaving behind the crazier stuff that they would never accept (like the executive superpowers or the first past the post system for legislative elections).
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2023, 10:04:11 AM »

Well, in the 90's, Brazil was in an even worse situation than Argentina with a 2400% inflation rate, but, Brazil was still a young democracy and was very lucky in having two very good Presidents, Itamar Franco and FHC, that stabilized inflation and the economy and, later, Lula consolidated these achievements during the 2000s The situation of Brazil in the 2010's is different than Argentina, although bad, it doesn't come even close.

The Argentina situation is just heartbreaking. Everybody knew that, whoever was elected President, the country would fall into more problems, and like Red Velvet wrote and I think I wrote it in the Argentinian election thread, when everything failed and there is no hope or solution, we cannot put ourselves in the shoes of the people of countries like Argentina. The desperation of the people is just overwhelming.

One thing that saddens about Argentina the most is how destroyed they look like to me and I don’t mean this in an infrastructure or economic way AT ALL - country aesthetically still looks extremely beautiful - but I’m talking more in terms of national identity and spirit instead.

Argentina always came across to me as a very fun country but also with a lot of pride (sometimes too much) and a strong national identity.

Nowadays I get a different vibe when talking to them, as if they lacked any identity or were completely disconnected from everything that always defined them. I predicted Milei victory when it was announced that he would run, when Bullrich and JxC dominated with large margins their #1 place in the electoral polls and Milei was a distant #3.

When people choose by anger more than hope that’s what happens - and there isn’t any visible hope in Argentina nowadays. Like you said no one believed either Milei or Massa or Bullrich would solve the country problems, so people naturally picked whoever had the most drastic change agenda.

People are willing to be open to a more authoritarian path - Fujimori dictatorship in Peru style - if that represents a minimal chance (something not even guaranteed) of economy getting better in the long term.

Argentina knows this and if Milei actually accomplishes SOME economic stabilization by the end of his term, he will be already be validated as a necessary evil amongst Argentinian society regardless of dangerous authoritarian measures or not.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2023, 10:46:54 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2023, 11:01:41 AM by kaoras »

Of course the usual suspects always so concerned with democracy in Latin America say that doing the exact same thing as Chávez (giving him presidential superpowers) is okay because he won't actually do the crazy stuff and he is not a lefty Smiley . Jeez, wonder where I have heard this before.

The punditariat class of the LATAM press truly reunites some the most disgusting people of the planet
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2023, 11:58:45 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2023, 12:21:04 PM by Velasco »

Maybe we should start clarifying concepts, because I feel we are living under a collective delusion. Also, from now on, I'll try to avoid commiseration. Argentina looks like a laboratory right now and no one in the world will ever feel safe from the reactionary pandemic in its multiple variants.  Save me your condescension, western folks: Trump, Milei and the bloodthirsty Netanyahu are everyehere.

• Milei is not a liberal. He believes neither in equal opportunities nor in the srparation of powers inherent to liberal democracies.

• Milei is not a "libertarian". He is authoritarian and advocates a form of government known as Minarchy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night-watchman_state#Philosophy

A night-watchman state, or minarchy, whose proponents are known as minarchists, is a model of a state that is limited and minimal, whose functions depend on libertarian theory. Right-libertarians support it only as an enforcer of the non-aggression principle by providing citizens with the military, the police, and courts, thereby protecting them from aggression, theft, breach of contract, fraud, and enforcing property  

That is to say, reducing the state to rubble, preserving only the repressive apparatus and the monopololy of force. In practice, this leads to an authoritarian form of government. Inevitably anarcho-capitalism and total deregulation will foster gross unequalities, with the subsequent social unrest. The state's only function under this system will be to preserve the privileges of the people able to pay for them.

XX Century Communists advocated Dictatorship of the Proletariat. Milei and the XXI Century Minarchists are seeking to implement the Dictatorship of the Markets and the Law of the Strongest. They won't hesitate in deploying the police and the military to enforce the new order and suppress all opposition.

I would never dare to make fun or minimize Milei's proposals as "crazy stuff". Quite possibly many Argentinians voted for him believing that he was not going to implement his full agenda, but Milei always makes clear he's serious. When Milei states he's going to implement a Shock Therapy,  he's serious. When the Human Capital ministry warns that protesters will lose payments and benefits, it is serious. When Milei sends the Enabling Act to Congress,  he's acting in all seriousness.

It's up to see if the Congress and other institutions will be effective counterweights to Milei,  but stop treating him as a clown. Milei is serious.

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2023, 01:53:51 PM »

Gatherings of 3 people or more in public places will have to be pre-informed and approved by the Argentinian government according to the proposed legislation.

RIP stuff like Pokemon GO hunts?

Milei knows his proposals are too harsh and will cause an upheaval, which is why they’re so concerned about these authoritarian measures in order to repress protesting.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2023, 02:03:29 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2023, 02:18:48 PM by wnwnwn »

Of course the usual suspects always so concerned with democracy in Latin America say that doing the exact same thing as Chávez (giving him presidential superpowers) is okay because he won't actually do the crazy stuff and he is not a lefty Smiley . Jeez, wonder where I have heard this before.

The punditariat class of the LATAM press truly reunites some the most disgusting people of the planet

The most out of touch*
The right leaning opinion pages in peruvian social media are the most out of touch spam possible.
That pundit class even supported a stupid after Castillo imposed an state of emergency for a day after rumours of massive looting appeared in the day of planned protests. This may have sounded too authoritarian, but some looting did happen before in the prior hours.
I don't like Castillo, but the campaing of the pundit class agaisnt Castillo was horrible. It made Alwater look like a saint

Back to topic, I suppose Milei has put some very extreme measures in his omnibus law proposal to force reaching an agreement which would ended up meaning passing most of what he actually wanted.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2023, 08:26:51 PM »

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2023, 09:24:48 PM »

If they were American style they’d just be spending all day interviewing Fernandez-Milei voters in small town cantinas in Salta or Chubut.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies