Canadian Election 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:32:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Election 2019  (Read 194570 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »

Singh looks great. Such a shame that the NDP never polls well enough pre-election for NDP supporters to feel like actually voting NDP at the ballot box isn't a waste of a vote in many of the ridings.

Yeah tactical voting looks like it'll squeeze the NDP again. It's tragic how they lost in 2015, I wish Mulcair had won that election and the NDP was the major party of the left.
My riding is strictly red or blue most of the time, but in that 2015 election it was really looking like the NDP had a shot. I will sadly be tactical voting myself this time, against Scheer's Conservatives. In my riding the best way to.do so is to vote Liberal. The stakes are too high with the climate crisis for me to spend my vote virtue signalling that I support the NDP in a riding where they will not win (this time).

If the polls start massively shifting away from Trudeau and towards Singh, I will vote NDP. It looks like that won't be happening though.
That's what I would do if I lived in a riding where only Liberals and Conservatives were competitive too. I'd also have no choice but to vote Liberal in Quebec.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:55:46 PM »

Singh looks great. Such a shame that the NDP never polls well enough pre-election for NDP supporters to feel like actually voting NDP at the ballot box isn't a waste of a vote in many of the ridings.

Yeah tactical voting looks like it'll squeeze the NDP again. It's tragic how they lost in 2015, I wish Mulcair had won that election and the NDP was the major party of the left.
My riding is strictly red or blue most of the time, but in that 2015 election it was really looking like the NDP had a shot. I will sadly be tactical voting myself this time, against Scheer's Conservatives. In my riding the best way to.do so is to vote Liberal. The stakes are too high with the climate crisis for me to spend my vote virtue signalling that I support the NDP in a riding where they will not win (this time).

If the polls start massively shifting away from Trudeau and towards Singh, I will vote NDP. It looks like that won't be happening though.
That's what I would do if I lived in a riding where only Liberals and Conservatives were competitive too. I'd also have no choice but to vote Liberal in Quebec.

What about a riding like mine, which is described a Lib-NDP-Bloc three-way race (with Conservatives irrelevent)?
NDP there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »

So, is the left going to bring up the popular vote here...

Also (I don't follow Canadian politics closely, so I don't know), could all the other parties come together and remove the Liberals from government?  Could we wind up with a stalemate in Canada like the one in Spain for a while a few years ago?
The popular vote is less of an issue as Liberal+NDP is higher than any other vote total.

As for the latter, they could but why would the NDP do that?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies