How did the South vote in previous presidential elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 02:57:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did the South vote in previous presidential elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did the South vote in previous presidential elections?  (Read 9232 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« on: October 09, 2014, 12:38:55 PM »

You have the opposite margins for Carter on that graph. (Should be D+6.9 and D+2.5).

Also, the "Southern Strategy" is largely a myth; if you actually read The Emerging Republican Majority you see that the Nixonians' strategy was almost entirely focused on attempting to flip large northeastern and midwestern urban areas, while almost no attention is paid to the South besides assuming that the "New South" of VA, FL, and TX will flip on its own because of economic issues.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:41:34 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2014, 01:46:23 AM by wormyguy »

You have the opposite margins for Carter on that graph. (Should be D+6.9 and D+2.5).

Also, the "Southern Strategy" is largely a myth; if you actually read The Emerging Republican Majority you see that the Nixonians' strategy was almost entirely focused on attempting to flip large northeastern and midwestern urban areas, while almost no attention is paid to the South besides assuming that the "New South" of VA, FL, and TX will flip on its own because of economic issues.

Kevin Phillips spoke of a strategy in the "Outer South" to capitalize on a sense of disconnection from the liberal causes of the national Democratic Party establishment.

It's been a couple years since I read it but I remember being struck (given my expectations) about how little space he devoted to discussing the South; IIRC more of the book is devoted to discussing Maryland than the entire South combined. As I recall even Massachusetts received quite a few more pages than any Southern state.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies