2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:21:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 75
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread  (Read 232707 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: January 05, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »

85 or more is wildly optimistic (or pessimistic depending on your viewpoint).  I wonder if someone is manipulating that market.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1101 on: January 05, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »

Not looking too hot for the GOP right now on how many seats will they lose in the House:

What market is this?

https://www.predictit.org/Browse/Group/79

85 or more is wildly optimistic (or pessimistic depending on your viewpoint).  I wonder if someone is manipulating that market.

It's been at 85 + since the market was established. I don't think 70+ is unrealistic at all given a combination of factors
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1102 on: January 05, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »

Not looking too hot for the GOP right now on how many seats will they lose in the House:

What market is this?

It's been at 85 + since the market was established. I don't think 70+ is unrealistic at all given a combination of factors

Since this is referring to "turnover", does that include retirements?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1103 on: January 05, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »

What market is this?

Yes. Dunno why this is being hyped so much.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1104 on: January 05, 2018, 06:24:50 PM »

What market is this?

Based on the way it's described ("how many seats will they lose in the House") I assumed it was net loss of seats. 
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1105 on: January 05, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »

What market is this?

Idk, nobody has posted that question....though you could be right
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1106 on: January 05, 2018, 06:25:21 PM »

They don't like the fact a lesbian is a united states senator?
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1107 on: January 05, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »

What market is this?

Based on the way it's described ("how many seats will they lose in the House") I assumed it was net loss of seats. 

Where does it say that?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1108 on: January 05, 2018, 06:30:11 PM »

What market is this?

Where does it say that?

Mondale described it that way when he posted it:

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1109 on: January 05, 2018, 06:32:12 PM »

What market is this?

Where does it say that?

Mondale described it that way when he posted it:

I assumed, based on my reading of the title, it meant "number of seats lost." Seems kind of silly to include retirements as turnovers

Also:

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1110 on: January 05, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »

Shocking how little Senate polling we have so far. Virtually nothing for WV, PA, WI, ND, IN, MT, OH.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1111 on: January 05, 2018, 07:38:44 PM »

Shocking how little Senate polling we have so far. Virtually nothing for WV, PA, WI, ND, IN, MT, OH.

Right? Of course PPP came up with a Trump-Cuban matchup in Texas, though.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1112 on: January 06, 2018, 09:11:17 AM »

People say Democrats run bad campaigns, but in the Senate, Republicans have really shot themselves in the foot. They had Roy Moore, Ken Buck, Richard Mourdock, Sharron Angle, Christine O'Donnell, Todd Akin, so they should have at least 57 Senate seats(at least). But they only have 51.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1113 on: January 06, 2018, 01:07:57 PM »

Reuters/Ipsos
1/1-1/4

Democrats: 41% (-4)
Republicans: 34 (+1)

The week before was D+12 and the week before that was D+15. Now they're at D+7. Not enough to take the house.

That has to be worrying for Democrats.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1114 on: January 06, 2018, 02:18:00 PM »

D+7 could easily be enough to take the House, don't be stupid. It's just not a guarantee like double digits would be.

Not like the poll matters anyway since Reuters is junk, there's far too many undecideds, and it's still 11 months before the election.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1115 on: January 06, 2018, 02:25:35 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2018, 02:47:46 PM by smoltchanov »

D+7 could easily be enough to take the House, don't be stupid. It's just not a guarantee like double digits would be.

Not like the poll matters anyway since Reuters is junk, there's far too many undecideds, and it's still 11 months before the election.

10 months, to be precise. And yes - one poll doesn't mean too much, but it's interesting to follow the development of events. Right now i am not convinced yet that the "wave" is real, and will survive until November (though with Trump it's, probably, quite possible). We shall see. Different scenarios are still possible. And, as i said many times, Democrats are extremely "apt" to underperform in polls in last 1-2 month before elections and in elections itself. 2010 (when most expected maximum 20-30 seats loss in the House) and 2014 (where most expected gains), not even mentioning 2016 (90% were convinced in Hillary's victory) are good examples.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1116 on: January 06, 2018, 02:44:24 PM »

Reminder: Republicans were barely ahead of Democrats at the generic ballot in January 2010.
And Democrats reclaimed their lead the following summer.
We all know how that movie ended.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1117 on: January 06, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »

Reminder: Republicans were barely ahead of Democrats at the generic ballot in January 2010.
And Democrats reclaimed their lead the following summer.
We all know how that movie ended.

Also, Republicans were barely ahead a week before the election in 2014, lol.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1118 on: January 06, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »

Reuters/Ipsos
1/1-1/4

Democrats: 41% (-4)
Republicans: 34 (+1)

The week before was D+12 and the week before that was D+15. Now they're at D+7. Not enough to take the house.

That has to be worrying for Democrats.

Just wait for the WOLFF BOOK BUMP for the Dems
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1119 on: January 06, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »

Kind of an indictment of the way we elect public officials when people actually worry whether D+7 is enough to claw back even a bare majority.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1120 on: January 06, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »

Kind of an indictment of the way we elect public officials when people actually worry whether D+7 is enough to claw back even a bare majority.

It's surely no secret, that Democrats are hyperconcentrated in fewer number of districts, so Republicans inherently have an advantage (even without gerrymandering). The best Republican districts in 2016 were about 81% Trump (those, like TX-13), the best Democratic - about 95% for Clinton. And this is true in non-presidential races too...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1121 on: January 06, 2018, 03:20:58 PM »

It's surely no secret, that Democrats are hyperconcentrated in fewer number of districts, so Republicans inherently have an advantage (even without gerrymandering). The best Republican districts in 2016 were about 81% Trump (those, like TX-13), the best Democratic - about 95% for Clinton. And this is true in non-presidential races too...

The median house district is R+3. The real spike in difficulty comes from the incumbency hump, which occurs for both parties, and varries from candidate to candidate.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1122 on: January 06, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »

The median house district is R+3. The real spike in difficulty comes from the incumbency hump, which occurs for both parties, and varries from candidate to candidate.

Of course. But R+3 is enough for at least modest Republican lean.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1123 on: January 06, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »

Just your daily reminder....demographics ARE destiny. (GOP ded.)

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1124 on: January 07, 2018, 12:52:44 AM »

What do these two years have in common?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies