Politics, Religion, and Me (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:35:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Politics, Religion, and Me (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politics, Religion, and Me  (Read 688 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

That definitely explains some of the things you said in IRC that I was thinking were so stupid I couldn't believe them (the "Catholics are always more tolerable than Protestants", "Catholicism is just a cultural thing", "Protestants are always crazy" and the kind of "I know my evidence is purely anecdotal but I'm standing behind it" sort of thing.) It can be kind of tough to get past a background like that. I just ask that you realize that this is akin to thinking the entire US on all things is like where you grew up, obviously not true (the fact that you even said "strict Lutheran church" is proof of this) and while I'm obviously not going to claim that Minneapolis is representative of the country at large please note that I have not lived in Minneapolis my entire life.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »

That definitely explains some of the things you said in IRC that I was thinking were so stupid I couldn't believe them (the "Catholics are always more tolerable than Protestants", "Catholicism is just a cultural thing", "Protestants are always crazy" and the kind of "I know my evidence is purely anecdotal but I'm standing behind it" sort of thing.) It can be kind of tough to get past a background like that. I just ask that you realize that this is akin to thinking the entire US on all things is like where you grew up, obviously not true (the fact that you even said "strict Lutheran church" is proof of this) and while I'm obviously not going to claim that Minneapolis is representative of the country at large please note that I have not lived in Minneapolis my entire life.

BRTD, at least I don't try to call my anecdotal evidence fact.  Every post you make emphasizes the bubble you live in.

No, but you did sort of seem to stubborningly cling to your conclusions from it regardless. I'm not going to dispute that most Protestants in the south are conservative fundamentalists. I am going to dispute that is in any way even remotely representative of the country at large.

For the record the idea of "cultural Catholicism" is a bit of a Berserk Button for me, because of all the people I know (like half of the Catholic side of my family) who have left the church and now want absolutely nothing to do with it, so that explains a lot of my posts and how I react toward things like that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies