Will centrists sit out the 2018 general elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:08:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will centrists sit out the 2018 general elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will centrists sit out the 2018 general elections?  (Read 876 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« on: August 16, 2017, 12:29:58 AM »

At this point, true centrists should be firmly in the democratic camp. Centrism is more or less dead in the GOP currently, with a select few exceptions in the senate. With a few exceptions I would argue that self-identified centrists voting for the GOP are actually republicans and not centrists.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »

At this point, true centrists should be firmly in the democratic camp. Centrism is more or less dead in the GOP currently, with a select few exceptions in the senate. With a few exceptions I would argue that self-identified centrists voting for the GOP are actually republicans and not centrists.

I shouldn't have to explain that you can be both on a political forum like this, but whatever.
If you read the very lines you quoted you would see that I write that "centrism is more or less dead in the GOP". Indeed, if you are a "centrist republican", you should feel very alone these days. Unfortunately. I wish it was different. I wish america had two respectable parties. That is not the case right now.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »

I shouldn't have to explain that you can be both on a political forum like this, but whatever.
If you read the very lines you quoted you would see that I write that "centrism is more or less dead in the GOP". Indeed, if you are a "centrist republican", you should feel very alone these days. Unfortunately. I wish it was different. I wish america had two respectable parties. That is not the case right now.

You said "actually Republicans and NOT centrists," implying they can't coexist, though. 
I think they mean that the generalized Republican leadership/elected officials are not centrists, and that therefore "Republican centrist" voters (as opposed to their representatives) no longer have a home in the party, and should be voting Democrat if they're actual "centrists"
Thank you. English is not my native language!
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »

You said "actually Republicans and NOT centrists," implying they can't coexist, though. 
I think they mean that the generalized Republican leadership/elected officials are not centrists, and that therefore "Republican centrist" voters (as opposed to their representatives) no longer have a home in the party, and should be voting Democrat if they're actual "centrists"

Which, of course, I disagree with.  I know Democrats fancy themselves the "sensible" party, but the GOP going full nutjob does not, in and of itself, make the Democrats' policies or candidates "centrist."
True, but the GOP going full nutjob should at the very least make the democratic platform much more palatable to centrists.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies