Day 11: Hawaii (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:44:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Day 11: Hawaii (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 11: Hawaii  (Read 2495 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: September 05, 2005, 01:44:16 AM »

Al - pretty spot on about the economic  changes.
As to the swing of the White vote (still solidly Republican in 1960, but never after), that's directly related. Also related to an increase in the no of White residents, I think, ie the old plantation elite was pushed to the sidelines and the new White immigrants were either retirees or military guys (but these had been there before) or tourist sector workers or hippies.
Honolulu is the most Asian part of Hawaii  least White population, least Native Hawaiian population. High Japanese and Filipino populations and almost the entire Chinese population there. Also, very high mixed race population (a very large group in Hawaii, obviously). Of course, the ancestors of most of them had come as indentured labourers, and were treated little better than slaves, in the late 19th and early 20th century. O'ahu also has most of the military presence (all that area around Pearl Harbour, NE of Honolulu.)
I think the incumbent bias is also mostly to do with navy traditions. It also seems to apply to congressional races.
Not sure about house prices but it's not as if people's standard of living was above or at US averages. (Highest in Polynesia except maybe NZ though...which is what should count I guess...)

Ah yeah, those two ancient geezers in the Senate...one Japanese, one mixed Native/Chinese. And both called Daniel K. and both born in Honolulu in 1924. You ask yourself, are these really two different persons? Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies