The electoral importance of each state in the 2012 election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:31:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The electoral importance of each state in the 2012 election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The electoral importance of each state in the 2012 election  (Read 981 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: July 31, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »

This formula can be used for other elections as well, and also to predict future elections based on current trends or on predictions based on polls asking for a future vote.

This is the formula I've used: 100/margin from popular vote*number of EVs

This formula takes two factors into account; the importance of a state based on its strenght as in population or number of EVs and also the importance of a state based on how far it was in percentage from the actual popular vote. Of course, here I could have used the tipping point state as well, but I opted out of it, since that is something that varies heavily from election to election and is, to a substantial degree, influences by randomness and noise. The popular vote is much more stable than the tipping point, since it take all 50 + D.C. states into account.

So here's the list of the most important states in the 2012 election based on significance for the electoral outcome:

1. Virginia: 130 000
2. Ohio: 2045.5

VA is 130,000??
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies