Why are libertarians associated with the right? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:34:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are libertarians associated with the right? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are libertarians associated with the right?  (Read 2823 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 07, 2016, 10:26:25 PM »

Contemporary libertarians are allied with the right as an accident of New Deal-era politics. In a sane system, they'd be loosely affiliated with the left, where they originated. They support dissolution of culture and "values" and deny the government the right to assert itself abroad to protect its interests. Even on economics, where there are some similarities, libertarians have little attachment to nation or state, and their libertine brand of regulation will only result in the economic contractions necessary to elevate social democrats or worse to office. They are a no-win proposition for the right.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »

I can understand thinking that libertarians have more in common with American liberals than conservatives, but "the left" is several bridges too far.

If it's in response to any language I used, you're right, and I should clarify my thoughts. Culturally, they're an ally to any group of people looking to gain from the gradual dissolution of "traditional" social barriers and structures. To "the left" understood as an activist, egalitarian force, they constitute an ally in the long-run, where their policies naturally result in some sort of situation requiring "radical action" of a collective or authoritarian nature (this could backfire in favor of the right as well, though not of the type I'd likely favor). Obviously, in the immediate, where a community action organization is hampered by half of the said community choosing to shutter itself in their homes, libertarianism is a detriment to the left.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »

Because individual liberty is a right-wing concept?

I'd assert the exact opposite. Strange.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies