US House Redistricting: Connecticut (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 07:16:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Connecticut (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Connecticut  (Read 16110 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: May 15, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »

There's now talk of adding Bridgeport to the 5th to make it more Democratic. Just LOL!
More realistically, Shelton will be shuffled over to the 5th, helping Caliguri and Jim Homes too.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:27:05 PM »

There's now talk of adding Bridgeport to the 5th to make it more Democratic. Just LOL!

Democrats can't really secure CT-05 without putting CT-04 into doubt, and vice versa. They might even want to consider moving Milford from CT-03 to CT-04 and shift some of the GOP-heavy Gatsby territory (Weston, Wilton, etc) to CT-05 in order to even out margins across the two districts.
I don't see that happening with the 2/3 requirement, in any case.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:08:43 AM »

Update re: Bridgeport. Republicans are trying to move it to the 3rd, creating what would be a reasonably safe R seat in the 4th.

I don't see why they can't just go for a minimum change map. Having a shot at 2 seats is good for Republicans in a solidly blue state and the map maintains CoIs pretty decently.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »

I wouldn't expect it to be much different from the current map, which is what Democrats were willing to go for anyway. More Republican obstruction, that's all this is.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:01:45 AM »

The fair map might be the one where a majority of seats were won by both parties. Wink
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2011, 05:39:21 PM by No Good Napoleon »

I seem to remember "fairness" defined as "Since Republican candidates consistently win 40% of the total vote statewide, the map should create 3 Democratic and 2 Republican districts."

Wait! Silly me! Seems I recall only reading that concerning states with fewer Democrats!

Never mind.

Is that really going to be your assertion? Roll Eyes

The point of elections is to represent people, not political parties. Districts don't belong to parties and the maps shouldn't be drawn to do so.

The GOP had a majority of seats 40% of the time.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »

Counties are meaningless.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »

The map will essentially be preserved, unfortunate for a Dem trifecta state and my home state alike.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »

I was under the impression that Fairfield County was somewhat meaningful, as that area is oriented more towards NYC than the rest of New England.  But yeah, in general counties don't matter in New England and most of them are just lines on a map now.

Fairfield County is distinguished as being part of the NYC metro but as far as governance, nothing is there
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies