Question for Catholics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:57:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Question for Catholics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Question for Catholics  (Read 3940 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2005, 12:01:17 PM »

I've heard from many people and my ex-Catholic mother that the Catholic church says it's a sin to eat meat on Fridays during Lent, except fish of course. Of course I don't care what it says, and last Friday I ate meat no doubt, and today I've already had a frozen pizza and plan on going down to the campus food court laterm which means I'll be eating tacos and Chick-fil-a nuggets.

But I'm not Catholic so there's really no reason to care what the Catholic church says. So isn't the Catholic church basically saying it has the right over everyone to say what a sin is and basically saying that loads of Protestants (and of course, non-Christians) are sinning doing something that there is really no reason to believe is wrong?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 02:16:41 PM »

(sigh)

The reason for the meatless Fridays on Lent is simple Lenten devotion and abstaination for Catholics.

It doesn't apply to Protestants.  It is a discipline.  So therefore, those who do not follow our faith are not bound to it and it is not truely a sin to eat meat.  It I made the mistake of doing so, it wouldn't be something I would have to confess.

Once again, your mother is wrong.  You can tell her that for me.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 02:24:16 PM »

I strongly encourage you to acctually open up a book by Catholics or watch some EWTN, rather than listening to you mother and you moronic freinds.  You might acctually learn something truthful, for a change.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 02:26:21 PM »

That was always my impression too.   I have had converstations with Catholics, Jews, Hindus, and one Muslim about their dietary habits and all have claimed to me that they don't expect others to follow their guidelines.  Seriously, I have yet to meet someone (except those insufferable agnostic vegetarians) who goes around telling others, outside their own faiths, what to eat.

Also, Chick-fil-a is not specifically mentioned in Leviticus, and probably suggests simple lack of good taste, rather than a sinful, lustful lifestyle  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 02:27:40 PM »

I strongly encourage you to acctually open up a book by Catholics or watch some EWTN, rather than listening to you mother and you moronic freinds.  You might acctually learn something truthful, for a change.

Yeah. He doesn't understand a single thing.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 02:28:31 PM »

Hmm, no you're wrong.  Only Catholics need follow this guideline.  Oh, and I doubt Chick-fi-la nuggets have very much meat in them. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:37:55 PM »

Why would anyone rational interest himself in your benighted superstitions or barbaric rites?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 02:39:04 PM »

Why would anyone rational interest himself in your benighted superstitions or barbaric rites?

Why do you have such a terrible inferiority complex that you feel you must chime in and put down others when the topic doen't concern you?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 02:44:16 PM »

Yes, EWTN- great network!  Had Rick Santorum on there a few times.  What's interesting about that channel in Philadlephia is it's right next to the PPV nudie channel.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 02:45:58 PM »

Yes, EWTN- great network!  Had Rick Santorum on there a few times.  What's interesting about that channel in Philadlephia is it's right next to the PPV nudie channel.

CNN has had Rick Santorum on quite a few times, I'm sure.  Better stop watching them.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 02:48:37 PM »

CNN has had Rick Santorum on quite a few times, I'm sure.  Better stop watching them.

Moot point.  CNN IS SUPPOSED to have politically divisive figures.  We expect it.  Will EWTN have Nancy Pelosi or Barbara Milkulski on there?  You and I both know what the answer is.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 02:57:27 PM »

Yes, EWTN- great network! 

They broadcast more sense then BRTD. It really would be nice if BRTD could get informed. The debates would be more fun if he wasn't so foolish.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »

Since Vatican II in 1965, the Catholic Church has become significantly more lax on its insistence that certain guidelines are followed, but one of them that is still fairly ridgedly observed is the tradition of not eating meat during Lent.

The ancient Church gave up meat every Friday.  The reasoning was simple: as a Mediterranean based religion, fish was a cheap meal that most people could afford.  Beef, lamb, or pork was significantly more expensive and only available to the wealthier of ancient societies.  In order to share a "common meal" and strengthen the bonds that tied all Christians, everyone would opt for fish (or no expensive meats) on Fridays.

With Vatican II, the council acknowledged that fish was no longer a poor man's food.  It was instead a more expensive meal than other meats.  Don't be fooled - the regulation of not eating meat on Fridays (and that means all Fridays) is still present in the Catechism.  However, Vatican II added the provision that one is allowed to substitute another penance for the giving up of meat.  Most Catholics forget the other penance and eat meat anyway, which has led to the belief that giving up meat during Lent is the only time that it has to be done.

The giving up of meat should be more strictly adhered to during Lent, which is a more somber and reflective time.

For a little bit more on Lent, you can see my most recent opinion column: http://www.kstatecollegian.com/article.php?a=4814 .
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 03:11:29 PM »

Why all this Catholic bashing recently?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 03:14:14 PM »

Will EWTN have Nancy Pelosi or Barbara Milkulski on there?  You and I both know what the answer is.

Could it be because they promote an agenda that is totally opposite from what Catholics believe? That just might be the reason why.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 03:29:20 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2005, 03:42:01 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

Recently?  Hasn't it been this way since the 1500's?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 03:33:12 PM »

A Southern Baptist friend of mine tried to convince me that the Church insists Catholics eat fish on Friday because The Vatican holds massive interests in seafood concerns. Sounded dubious then, and it still does. 
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 03:43:16 PM »

A Southern Baptist friend of mine tried to convince me that the Church insists Catholics eat fish on Friday because The Vatican holds massive interests in seafood concerns. Sounded dubious then, and it still does. 

Well, those are the types of lies that Protestants here fropm their preachers and congregations.  Most, saddly, believe them.  The bigger the lie and the more often it is told, the more people will believe it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 03:45:10 PM »

Well, those are the types of lies that Protestants here fropm their preachers and congregations.  Most, saddly, believe them.  The bigger the lie and the more often it is told, the more people will believe it.

Yeah. Like when Josh22 insisted that Catholics pray to saints. Even when I said it wasn't true, he insisted that that's what southern Catholics do.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 03:47:24 PM »

Yup, those huguenots were true meanies towards the poor Catholics.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 04:09:51 PM »

Yup, those huguenots were true meanies towards the poor Catholics.

Yeah, the Irish were treated like kings.  And no one died in Germany when the Catholic peasants tried to revolt against the Lutheran princes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 04:12:48 PM »

The few examples that you can come up with that show Catholics oppresing someone else are overwhelmed by dozens and dozens of historical examples of Catholic being executed, murdered and jailed for their faith.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 04:45:57 PM »

Thing is most sectarian bigotry (from all sides involved) has been dying down over the past 40 odd years (even in Ireland)... the recent resurgance of anti-catholic sentiment among intellectuals confuses and worries me.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 05:01:07 PM »

Thing is most sectarian bigotry (from all sides involved) has been dying down over the past 40 odd years (even in Ireland)... the recent resurgance of anti-catholic sentiment among intellectuals confuses and worries me.

Myself being raised Catholic, I find that some Catholics themselves question their faith considerably.  I know I'm not alone. 
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 05:14:28 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2005, 05:17:25 PM by Wakie »

(sigh)

The reason for the meatless Fridays on Lent is simple Lenten devotion and abstaination for Catholics.

It doesn't apply to Protestants.  It is a discipline.  So therefore, those who do not follow our faith are not bound to it and it is not truely a sin to eat meat.  It I made the mistake of doing so, it wouldn't be something I would have to confess.

Once again, your mother is wrong.  You can tell her that for me.

Thank you for explaining this.  I don't know how many times I've had to explain it to people (in my personal life).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies