Who would you vote for in Israel? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:05:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who would you vote for in Israel? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the Israeli election?
Likud

Labor-Hatnuah

The Jewish Home

Yesh Atid

Kulanu

Yisrael Beytenu

Shas

HaAm Itanu

United Torah Judaism

Hadash

United Arab List

Balad

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Who would you vote for in Israel?  (Read 9522 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: January 03, 2015, 02:37:16 AM »

Probably Yisrael Beiteinu; they're the party of the Russian community and their views on the West Bank and on secularism are very similar to mine. They would be the default party (and they're who I voted for). If the corruption scandal were to get bad enough, I could jump ship to another party, probably Yesh Atid (maybe Kulanu or Likud), but a reason has to be provided to not support Yisrael Beiteinu.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »

Well Hadash is mostly supported by Arabs but it has one token Jewish MK.

Meretz is mostly supported by Jews but it has one token Arab MK.

Hadash is non/anti-Zionist.

Meretz claims to still be Zionist but there's not much evidence for this.

Hadash is a front of the Communist Party.

Meretz is partially the organizational successor to Mapam, who were kinda sorta like pre-WWI unreformed Marxist social democrats.

Hadash mostly focuses on Arab/peace issues and doesn't talk much about economics, although when they do they are left-wing.

Meretz mostly focuses on peace issues and doesn't talk much about economics, although when they do they have flirted with neo-liberalism.
Ok thanks for the short explanation. I'm not entirely sure what being Zionist or not still actually implies in the Israeli political context though. Is it just wanting to have and keep a Jewish State ? As opposed to a secular, or multicultural State ? I'm a bit confused.

In any case, I guess I would then vote Meretz as an Arab, and Hadash as a Jew. I have a contradictory mind...

There is another, not mentioned important distinction: since Hadash is a non-Zionist party, Hadash has never been in the government, and neither have Hadash's antecedents, though Hadash has sometimes supported leftist governments on matters of confidence. By contrast, Meretz and its antecedents have been part of every Labor-led government for many years (though the last one was 1999-2001, so that was a while ago; Meretz was excluded from the Kadima-led governments, 2005-2009). Thus, if Yitzhak Herzog is to become PM, Meretz will very likely be part of his coalition, while Hadash certainly will not be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies