Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:21:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 16111 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2020, 08:53:36 PM »

That's the final straw. You have finally convinced me to go out to some local touristy place this weekend before my liberties are stolen from me. Perhaps Valley Forge, the site where freedom was created.

You are such a troll.
Can you take this matter seriously for once.

... So long without fresh air or legitimate sunlight really caused a depressing mood to settle in. So this evening I dared to walk outside for the first time ...

I think I'll feel safer after a 40 minute drive up into a more nature-oriented place.

Unless you are under Marshal Law in your area, there is nothing wrong with getting out of the house for a walk. In my area (and I live in a large Metro area), it is actually recommended that one should take a walk around the block. Walk you dog. Walk with a family member or friend. Just avoid large-ish congregations of people. Wash your hands thoroughly when you get home, and never touch your face (mouth, nose and eyes).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:12 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2020, 09:00:08 PM by ProudModerate2 »

No one will EVER prevent me from attending mass obligations for any reason. If Pennsylvania instituted this, I will flee to New Jersey or Virginia. If all churches complied and locked their doors, I will livestream from outside the church. If anyone tried to stop me and others from fulfilling that obligation as best I can, I will have to start exercising my other rights.

Does this sound like a serious comment of yours?
You describe your commitment to your religion, and then end it by saying that you may need to possibly shoot people.
WTF is that? What level of morality is in your soul?
I didnt even know you were religious. Or is this just another (poor) troll attempt from you?
And if you are religious (Christian I assume), shame on you for wanting to "exercise your other rights," just because you cant go to mass.

I have never missed mass and never intend to. No one will infringe on that right. It seems the churches are closed up and down the east coast. Standing outside and streaming it is.

And you may need to shoot people over this?
ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOURSELF !!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2020, 09:19:06 PM »

No one will EVER prevent me from attending mass obligations for any reason. If Pennsylvania instituted this, I will flee to New Jersey or Virginia. If all churches complied and locked their doors, I will livestream from outside the church. If anyone tried to stop me and others from fulfilling that obligation as best I can, I will have to start exercising my other rights.

You describe your commitment to your religion, and then end it by saying that you may need to possibly shoot people.
I didnt even know you were religious. Or is this just another (poor) troll attempt from you?
And if you are religious (Christian I assume), shame on you for wanting to "exercise your other rights," just because you cant go to mass.

I have never missed mass and never intend to. No one will infringe on that right. It seems the churches are closed up and down the east coast. Standing outside and streaming it is.

Its not something you could ever understand.  Stop harassing people who dare to live their faith.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2020, 09:36:03 PM »

Its not something you could ever understand.  Stop harassing people who dare to live their faith.

Oh, it is something I understand. I practiced my religion (somewhat seriously) until I was about 30 years old (starting from childhood).
Everyone has a right to live their faith, I have never said otherwise. But being unable to temporarily attend your church, is not justification for shooting others over. Besides, I would be willing to bet that most pastors/priests/etc and other high individuals of the faith, are also recommending for large groups of people to not gather in their very own places of worship.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2020, 09:44:53 PM »

Shooting people is not "living your faith".
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2020, 09:46:03 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market is absolutely not saying that, its slander.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2020, 09:53:35 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2020, 09:57:20 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Its not something you could ever understand.  Stop harassing people who dare to live their faith.

Sprouts Farmers Market is absolutely not saying that, its slander.

If that's the case, why didn't Sprouts defend him/herself about that, from the beginning (or you, for that matter)?
How else does one interpret .... "I will have to start exercising my other rights"?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2020, 11:46:26 PM »

South Korea’s coronavirus response is the opposite of China and Italy – and it’s working
As countries ranging from the United States to Italy and Iran struggle to manage the virus, Seoul’s handling of the outbreak – involving a highly coordinated government response that has emphasised transparency and relied heavily on public cooperation in place of hardline measures such as lockdowns – is increasingly viewed by public health experts as a model to emulate for authorities desperate to keep the virus under control.

Whereas China, where the virus originated, and more recently Italy have placed millions of their citizens on lockdown, South Korea has not restricted people’s movements – not even in Daegu, the southeastern city at the centre of the country’s outbreak.
Instead, authorities have focused mandatory quarantine on infected patients and those with whom they have come into close contact, while advising the public to stay indoors, avoid public events, wear masks and practise good hygiene.

Lessons for America: How South Korean Authorities Used Law to Fight the Coronavirus
Emergency texts from the government alerting citizens of nearby cases of coronavirus infection. A government-mandated GPS-tracking app designed to monitor and punish people who break quarantine. Public government reports detailing the whereabouts of every single confirmed patient—down to which theater seat they sat in, which plastic surgery clinic they visited and even where they got their lingerie.

All these examples are part of a sweeping tracking infrastructure erected by the South Korean government to contain the largest coronavirus outbreak outside of mainland China. To date, South Korea has confirmed 8,236 cases of coronavirus infection, with roughly 60 percent linked to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, a secretive Korean cult. More than three-quarters of South Korean cases have occurred in the southeastern city of Daegu, where Shincheonji counts some 10,000 members.

The country has attracted international renown for a formidable testing capacity that has already screened 274,504 people for the virus and includes more than 50 pop-up drive-through stations capable of testing potential patients within minutes. Fifty-four days since its first case, South Korea has officially turned the tide, reporting more recoveries per day than new infections. But how do the legal instruments deployed by South Korea compare to the authorities available to federal and state officials in the United States?

I don't think the United States would be able to handle something like South Korea's "Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act ", because the vast and unfettered access it grants (even if found constitutional) would be abused by law enforcement and others in short order.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2020, 11:48:04 PM »

Democracies’ Covid-19 cures could be worse than the disease
Under the banner of novel coronavirus control, democracies are restricting basic freedoms – of movement, of association, of worship. They are enforcing local or nationwide curfews and lockdowns that will inevitably have a ruinous economic impact – especially for small businesses that need cash flow. In the “borderless” EU, borders are suddenly back, and the EU is announcing a 30-day ban on outsiders’ entry.

These steps are unprecedented in peacetime – and draconian. While Covid-19 is a highly infectious but low-mortality illness, many governments are benchmarking their responses on the very worst outbreaks – China’s Wuhan and Northern Italy.

Meanwhile, worst-case scenarios are being routinely bandied about by experts and regurgitated by politicians, panicking the public. Could there be another way to bring the virus under control – without lockdowns or travel bans?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2020, 12:01:01 AM »

I don't think the United States would be able to handle something like South Korea's "Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act ", because the vast and unfettered access it grants (even if found constitutional) would be abused by law enforcement and others in short order.

But that's exactly the kind of thing we DO need.  I would have no issue with it whatsoever.

It's a sort of Catch-22. We've destroyed our ability to usefully respond before we even begin, because our institutions are rotten and corroded.

What seems really depressing to me is that it looks like even after paying an immense price in blood and treasure, America as a whole doesn't seem to be learning a single thing from electing Donald Trump.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2020, 12:50:16 AM »

Threats of violence aren’t faith, full stop.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:15 AM »

I didnt even know you were religious. Is this another (poor) troll attempt from you?

I am ashamed that at one point we ever supported the same candidate...

Seriously,
THINK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.
This isn’t about you, this is about American lives, and the complete collapse of our healthcare system. Learn to compromise, and stop with the spoiled attitude in times of tragedy.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2020, 01:29:32 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2020, 01:36:32 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I didnt even know you were religious. Is this another (poor) troll attempt from you?

Seriously,
This isn’t about you, this is about American lives, and the complete collapse of our healthcare system. Learn to compromise, and stop with the spoiled attitude in times of tragedy.

I am harming nobody by standing outside a church building one and a half blocks from my home in order to honor the Lord in open air. I have been far more considerate about the impacts of this disease than 90% of Americans who are continuing about their business as usual all up in each other's faces on the sidewalk. I do not believe in compromise but unflinchingly following absolute moral directives. I will not let your completely baseless teenage paranoia dictate my life when I am more considerate than everyone around me.

In case you haven't noticed, we are living in perpetual tragedy even in the greatest time of human history in the best country in the world. And this will barely register amongst some of the worst domestic tragedies in my lifetime. [For Italy and Iran, I am certain it will be one of the most devastating events of the past century due to unfortunate circumstances, but that is besides the point. It could have been for us too, but we have better demographics/family structures, resources, and to an extent, response.]

Speaking of "tragedies" - I am reminded of the classic George Costanza quote:
"51 people?! That's it?! I thought it was like a thousand!...That's no tragedy! How many people do you lose from a normal [virus] - 30? 40?" (You can multiply both those numbers by 500 for this exercise.) THIS IS NOT THE BLACK PLAGUE
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2020, 01:37:25 AM »

I am harming nobody by standing outside a church building one and a half blocks from my home in order to honor the Lord in open air. I have been far more considerate about the impacts of this disease than 90% of Americans who are continuing about their business as usual all up in each other's faces on the sidewalk. I do not believe in compromise but unflinchingly following absolute moral directives. I will not let your completely baseless teenage paranoia dictate my life when I am more considerate than everyone around me.
Listening to scientists and experts and mathematicians is basically the total opposite of "teenage paranoia", and in fact it is LITERALLY the opposite of the definition of "baseless".

"51 people?! That's it?! I thought it was like a thousand!...That's no tragedy!" [You can multiply both those numbers by 500 for this exercise.] THIS IS NOT THE BLACK PLAGUE
If you think only 25 or 26 thousand will be the death toll in America, you're living in a fantasy land.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:13 AM »

"51 people?! That's it?! I thought it was like a thousand!...That's no tragedy!" [You can multiply both those numbers by 500 for this exercise.] THIS IS NOT THE BLACK PLAGUE
If you think only 25 or 26 thousand will be the death toll in America, you're living in a fantasy land.

You're really digging your heels on 25 million, aren't you? I'll gladly have a signature/avatar wager over this. I'd say 250k looks like the obvious break-even point between our two projections but I'll even give you 150k. Anything less in the US and I win (and so does America). Take it or leave it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #240 on: March 20, 2020, 01:58:27 AM »

You're really digging your heels on 25 million, aren't you? I'll gladly have a signature/avatar wager over this. I'd say 250k looks like the obvious break-even point between our two projections but I'll even give you 150k. Anything less in the US and I win (and so does America). Take it or leave it.
Again, are you calculating just deaths from Covid infections, or the systematic collapse of the healthcare system? (which you seem to like to pretend won’t exist)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #241 on: March 20, 2020, 02:00:09 AM »

I don't like using an image host, no avatar bets. Signature bet that results in two full months of signature, 150k USA deaths between now and July 1st 2021 from either coronavirus or claimed by MULTIPLE reasonably credible news sources to be DIRECTLY caused by COVID-19 overpowering the hospitals.

I really hope you win. Deal?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: March 20, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »

I don't like using an image host, no avatar bets. Signature bet that results in two full months of signature, 150k USA deaths between now and July 1st 2021 from either coronavirus or claimed by MULTIPLE reasonably credible news sources to be DIRECTLY caused by COVID-19 overpowering the hospitals.

I really hope you win. Deal?

Deal. I will freely admit if I am wrong. I really just don't see it happening.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2020, 02:04:18 AM »

Seriously,

In case you haven't noticed, we are living in perpetual tragedy even in the greatest time of human history in the best country in the world. And this will barely register amongst some of the worst domestic tragedies in my lifetime. [For Italy and Iran, I am certain it will be one of the most devastating events of the past century due to unfortunate circumstances, but that is besides the point. It could have been for us too, but we have better demographics/family structures, resources, and to an extent, response.]

"51 people?! That's it?! I thought it was like a thousand!...That's no tragedy! How many people do you lose from a normal [virus] - 30? 40?" (You can multiply both those numbers by 500 for this exercise.) THIS IS NOT THE BLACK PLAGUE
We are NO different than Italy right now, and we will be there in a few weeks, so don’t act like America is magically special. I know you like to live with your head under the sand in American exceptionalism, but news flash, this will hit us hard as well. And you do understand how many more people will die from the crumbling of our already terrible healthcare system, right?!?!?! Or are you just going to pretend none of that will happen so that you can feel better about your apathy?

Go stand outside of a church building by yourself for all I care, I thought you were referring to going into a group of people and that’s different.
But know that we are no different and this will hit us hard.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2020, 02:37:44 AM »

Let’s be honest here, a large number of the “anti-authoritarian” posters who are against these lockdown measures seem more concerned about inconveniences to their own lives as opposed to actual authoritarianism. That isn’t everyone, but some posters definitely seem to be more concerned about themselves than, well, authoritarianism.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #245 on: March 20, 2020, 03:00:11 AM »

Let’s be honest here, a large number of the “anti-authoritarian” posters who are against these lockdown measures seem more concerned about inconveniences to their own lives as opposed to actual authoritarianism. That isn’t everyone, but some posters definitely seem to be more concerned about themselves than, well, authoritarianism.
They need to put their privilege in check.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2020, 03:30:53 AM »

We seem to be accepting some short-term social regimentation across the political spectrum because our squabbles about the relationship between management and labor, between pro-choice and anti-abortion, between cultural divides, and between faith and reason  can look trivial. We have seen reports out of China and Iran showing how badly governments can muck things up if authoritarian, secretive, and corrupt. People well-connected in China and Iran have gotten CORVID-19 and died. So did a retired judge in Italy  who was a genuine hero in the struggle against the Sicilian Mafia.

So when will some prominent figure of mass culture, politics, academia, or politics die? People started to take AIDS seriously when such people as Arthur Ashe, Liberace, and Rock Hudson died of it and a reinforcement when Robert Reed and Freddie Mercury got it and died.

To be sure, CORVID-19 is very different from HIV?AIDS... its lethality is not completely established, and long-term consequences are unknown; obviously it has different means of spreading. We may be taking means better at stopping bacterial infections than at stopping viral infections -- but bacterial infections make people more vulnerable to viral infections. 

Democracies have taken authoritarian measures to meet dangers that can destroy the system. If one did not know that there was a war going on against you-know-who, you might have thought Britain a totalitarian state during World War II. The economy was regimented to almost the same extent as the Soviet Union, and much normal behavior was proscribed. But that is a mere inconvenience in contrast to having the Wehrmacht, Gestapo, and SS in one's country. One knew that when the war was over, that life would be back to normal. 

If we go too far with CORVID-19, then what do we lose? There will be economic losses, to be sure. The inconveniences are obvious enough. If you have a strong social in social media, then maybe life will not be as lonely as it might be. However people may have derided Facebook... we may need it.

So... after it is all over, we will get to go out to eat again; we will be able to have more face-to-face conversations with people, and we will all experience pent-up demand. But anyone who gets a fatal case of CORVID-19 wi9ll not get to do such things.         
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:09 AM »

I agree with the economic arguments here. But, there is still most freedom of movement in the countries under lockdown. Unless people feel like having to print a document to show authorities, at most, is equivalent to living in a dictatorial regime, the conspiratorial hysteria is unwarranted.

I actually live under lockdown right now. You can only leave your home for work (if you are one of the few who still have it), to buy groceries and that is pretty much it.

That is most definitely not freedom of movement; and it's probably worse than even most dictatorships out there
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2020, 04:15:48 AM »

I agree with the economic arguments here. But, there is still most freedom of movement in the countries under lockdown. Unless people feel like having to print a document to show authorities, at most, is equivalent to living in a dictatorial regime, the conspiratorial hysteria is unwarranted.

I actually live under lockdown right now. You can only leave your home for work (if you are one of the few who still have it), to buy groceries and that is pretty much it.

That is most definitely not freedom of movement; and it's probably worse than even most dictatorships out there
Can you walk your dog to poop, as long as you don't go more than 1km away?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #249 on: March 20, 2020, 04:19:28 AM »

Can you walk your dog to poop, as long as you don't go more than 1km away?

Yeah, walking your dog is also allowed. Other exceptions include:

-Going to one of the other few businesses that are still open (gas stations, veterinarians, insurance companies, etc)

-Going to the doctor

-Returning to your regular home adress (like say if you are a student)

-To take care of disabled or old people

-"Other major force cause"

But the 2 big ones are work and groceries with little else really
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies