Federal Marriage Amendment (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:40:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Federal Marriage Amendment (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Federal Marriage Amendment (Tabled)  (Read 6875 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 30, 2014, 12:38:26 AM »
« edited: August 30, 2014, 12:47:26 AM by JCL is dating a geologist »

My thinking is that since the federal government (ie the senate) can make laws regarding marriage that he can propose said amendment. It's within senatorial purview. I oppose this because I want to change this part of the Constituition to give that power to the regions.

See Article 1 Section 5 Clause 5

To establish uniform rules of Naturalization and Alienation, Marriage and Divorce, and Adoption and Emancipation of Minors throughout the Republic of Atlasia.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »

As I said when the northeast was originally considering group marriages I oppose them, but I'm not convinced this is the senate's job.

A Federal law requiring Regions to make changes to their marriage laws would also be unconstitutional under Article I, Section 6, Clause 7.

It almost certainly wouldn't. Or rather, it might, depending on which way the court was feeling on the morning it decided the case.

As I've said before, the constitution is so poorly worded that the senate can make a case for any law it passes as falling under it's powers, and this is no different.

Perhaps more interestingly, could you not make an argument that there can't be variation between regions on marriage because the point of the senate is to establish uniform ones?

Thankfully JCL is here to solve this dilemma with the catch all solution of devolving the power to the regions, in a similar way to the moderate heroes who proclaim their solution to any problem to be leaving it to the states (I personally feel that legalising murder is morally repugnant but it should be left up to the states Smiley )

@Bore, the federal government should've never been given power regarding this matter. As a matter of my personal views regarding marriage, they are known quite clear and they are not well liked in Atlasia. That would include many Federalists being in profound dissent with my view. I'm no moderate hero. I once had Cassius's view for a federal marriage amendment banning SSM. In the past few years I realized a centralized way is not the most effective way to go about preserving or changing laws regarding wedge social issues. That doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic to Cassius's view because I once held it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »

As it is I urge the fine people of the Northeast to rescind the law that has forced a law like this to even considered. Incest and Polygamy are two serious health risks and should be dealt with.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 04:12:08 PM »

Motion to have an up or down vote and resind the tableing?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »

Consider it reintroduced as of right now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies