538 article on Senate’s Rural Skew (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:41:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  538 article on Senate’s Rural Skew (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 538 article on Senate’s Rural Skew  (Read 1852 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:47:55 PM »

Can’t wait for the future when the democrats destroy the senate and the Supreme Court. Surely it’s wise to destroy the constitution because republicans have done slightly better among some small states relative to large states for a few election cycles? Heck, the ten smallest states have more democratic senators than republicans senators 12-8 while the largest 10 states are split 10-10.

Why should a party's success matter when it comes to doing the right thing? That's the difference between Democrats and Republicans. You guys only view things from a perspective of power. "Oh, the Senate was more Democratic than the House since 1994". I don't care. The Senate is an anti-democratic institution by it's very nature and should not have more power than the House of Representatives.

Uhm...did the Democrats care about how "anti-democratic" the Senate was when they held seats in states like North Dakota, Arkansas, and Alaska?  Y'know, in the long ago of 2014?

I must agree with this. Abolition of the Senate would clearly require a constitutional amendment. It cannot be stripped of its powers and privileges-as Sev has said-without such an amendment, and that would need to be approved by 3/4ths of the states, which would never happen in today's political environment. And any schemes to grant certain States more Senators than others (i.e. California over Wyoming) would require the approval of both states, as expressed through ratification of an amendment.

But putting this aside, I still don't understand why so many left-leaning individuals have become so opposed to the Senate and the Supreme Court, as they are constituted in their current from. Both institutions certainly have flaws, but a complete overhaul of them might necessitate a complete overhaul of the Constitution as it is, and I don't find that to be necessary at this juncture.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »

The Republicans have done an excellent job of distorting what "normal" looks like and painting anyone even slightly to the left of them as a crazy extremist. Polls in 2016 showed that Trump was perceived as more "moderate" than Clinton, which anyone who actually pays close attention to politics realizes is absurd.
I think part of that was many voters wrongly perceived Trump as more moderate on social issues than he actually was, eg thinking that he was pro-choice.

Wrong. He was (wrongly) perceived as moderate/non-ideological on mushy "economic" stuff, like infrastructure, - gulp - health care, ah and also his rants against free trade helped.
I don't think anyone in 2016 thought Trump would be a pro-choice president.

He's a big government conservative. He's clearly non-ideological when it comes to socially conservative matters. He pays lip service but that's all it is. His stance on health care is because it's an Obama thing and he personally hates Obama for how he was treated at the White House Correspondents Dinner (might be the only reason he ran for president, good job Barack).

I agree firmly with this. Trump has made it clear that he doesn't care about gay marriage, and he's said little about the transgender rights issues that have become prominent in recent years. He's adopted the Republican Party's line on abortion issues, but it's obvious that he doesn't care about the issue from a moral perspective as it is-and could care less about what the states do with it. Trump has done what is necessary to keep social conservatives and evangelicals on his side, but he's not waging a war on such issues like George W. Bush or even Ronald Reagan did. His "culture war" hinges very much on things like illegal immigration and Islamic terrorism-issues that clearly cut across secular and religious lines.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies