VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:10:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2)  (Read 99361 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 06, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »

I could be wrong about this, but it is worth keeping in mind that even in NoVA the most Republican precincts often report first. Gillespie was up big in Loudoun County in 2014 with 10% reporting or so, I believe.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »

No matter how many times we talk about the way Virginia reports the results, it's not going to stop the hand wringing lol. I look forward to all the doom prophecies when Gillespie is ahead with 1% in.

It does start to effect even a knowledgeable watcher when like 75% of the vote is in and the Republican has a spread of 3%. 

I remember Newt Gingrich and even John King and Anderson Cooper in 2014 saying that Gillespie still had a chance even after Warner had taken the lead, lol. Either way, you'd think that most pundits would be aware of the counting biases of most states, but apparently not. So yeah, overreactions are basically guaranteed.

Btw: Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe NJ also has a Republican counting bias. Don't be surprised if Guadagno is leading in the early count.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »

Oh, I firmly stand by it being gone in presidential elections, which was the original context of those very accurate claims.

This is a different story: I also have a recurring narrative about awful NoVA types and how they're custom-made to defect and elect somebody like Gillespie in situations like this.

Ah, I see. Totally agree with you that it's gone for Rs in federal races, I guess we'll find out soon enough if that's the case at the statewide level as well. I have a gut feeling that Ds will do better than expected in the HoD races, though.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »

Based on the exits this is shaping up to be a very bad night for the GOP in general. We'll see what happens, though. Exit polls aren't always reliable, though I'd be shocked if Gillespie somehow managed to win.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »

When was the last time a D won statewide by 10 points or more? I honestly have no idea. Chuck Robb in 1988, maybe?

I think this counts, no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_lieutenant_gubernatorial_election,_2013
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2017, 07:18:04 PM by MT Treasurer »

Gillespie underperforming badly in Stafford and Hanover, but little is in.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:41:36 PM »

Hopefully this ends the "Republicans always outperform the polling average in VA" nonsense.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 07:48:47 PM »

I regret making a rating change from Likely D to Lean D in this race yesterday.

I regret buying that this race was ever anything other than Safe D.

Also pretty devastating result for the GOP in the HoD.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »

Vogel is Winning Virginia Beach by 10 points!

Vogel is definitely overperforming Gillespie in these key areas

Not nearly enough for her to win, though.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »

Pretty unbelievable when you consider that Gillespie managed to win Loudoun (narrowly) three years ago.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 08:34:14 PM »

The Next Republican running in a swing state or leaning dem state should just tie himself to Bush 24/7 and their policies are similar to Bush not Trump. Bush is popular now

...No.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:57:52 PM »

Democrats, it will be your only victory, Moore will win widely in Alabama and this "victory" will be forgotten

Don't get too cocky, Moore could very well lose.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »

Here's your tentative swing map compared to 2013:

Yeah, the swings we saw in 2016 were definitely not a "one-time thing".
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 02:11:42 AM »

Oh, I firmly stand by it being gone in presidential elections, which was the original context of those very accurate claims.

This is a different story: I also have a recurring narrative about awful NoVA types and how they're custom-made to defect and elect somebody like Gillespie in situations like this.

Ah, I see. Totally agree with you that it's gone for Rs in federal races, I guess we'll find out soon enough if that's the case at the statewide level as well. I have a gut feeling that Ds will do better than expected in the HoD races, though.

And the answer couldn't have been clearer.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies