Assange arrested
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:03:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Assange arrested
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Assange arrested  (Read 10854 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »

Air Force Blocks Media Sites - Wall Street Journal

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Most companies restrict and monitor employee internet usage.

What's your point?

That isn't surprising or that unjustified. These people are supposed to be working anyway, not reading diplomatic gossip.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2010, 09:08:52 AM »

Looks like his bail has been finally approved.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2010, 09:47:59 AM »

Giving their own soldiers the Chinese Treatment.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »

Uh, all of them can just view the stuff at home so this is hardly news, eh?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »

Uh, all of them can just view the stuff at home so this is hardly news, eh?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »

It isn't especially serious, but it does look extremely petty. Actually, more like a scalded cat. So is thus a representative sample of the way the U.S Government has handled this so far.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2010, 02:09:25 PM by Old Europe »

The U.S. is way overreacting to this anyway. Just restrict the access to confidential information, so that a simple Army corporal can't leak 250,000 documents anymore.

All this talk about charging Assange with espionage/conspiracy and hunting WikiLeaks like terrorists is excessive hyperbole. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »

The U.S. is way overreacting to this anyway. Just restrict the access to confidential information, so that a simple Army corporal can't leak 250,000 documents anymore.

All this talk about charging Assange with espionage/conspiracy and hunting WikiLeaks like terrorists is excessive hyperbole. Tongue

Do you (I mean others too) believe this was all the work of a lowly Army officer?  I think it's foolish to believe he doesn't a mole much higher up the food chain.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »

It appears his legal issues in Australia are over......wonder if it matters?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2010, 01:47:58 AM »

How can anyone criticise this great man?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2010, 02:11:35 AM »

Most companies restrict and monitor employee internet usage.

What's your point?

That isn't surprising or that unjustified. These people are supposed to be working anyway, not reading diplomatic gossip.
Wink
Mavvy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.94, S: -6.87

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2010, 10:49:14 PM »

I
I agree. Assange is a leader for a transparent and truly democratic government. I suspect most of his critics are simply brainwashed and the rest are just batsh**t insane social conservatives.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »

Eh. He doesn't really strike me as a great man, even if some of the stuff he did was good.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »

Eh. He doesn't really strike me as a great man, even if some of the stuff he did was good.

Gustaf, weren't you calling him a rapist not long ago, or was it someone else?  If it was you it's clear you think he's scum, no?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2010, 04:22:53 AM »

His sexual proclivities leave much to be desired; if he was a she, the view of him would be a lot more negative. Double standards as usual.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2010, 06:38:04 AM »

Assange gets out Thursday.  200k pounds bail (over 300k in US currency).  Has to wear ankle bracelet, strict curfew (can't leave home 10AM-2PM and 10PM-2AM), turn in his passport.

I find it interesting that they're taking such stringent measures toward a non-dangerous criminal.

He's not a British subject, or an EU citizen, and it's a sexual crime. The fact he even got bail is the surprise.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2010, 07:21:50 AM »

Gustaf, weren't you calling him a rapist not long ago, or was it someone else?  If it was you it's clear you think he's scum, no?

I don't think I've explicitly called him a rapist (although I might have worded it wrong in the heat of the moment).

What I've reacted to is rather the common reactions, especially on here, which basically amounts to women in general being lying bitches and great men being entitled to women.

And just in general the propensity for assuming that someone you agree with politically must be innocent even though the trial has not even begun yet.

I try to be cautious in assuming too much when no official information reagarding the accusations has been released.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2010, 08:10:41 AM »

He's not a British subject, or an EU citizen, and it's a sexual crime. The fact he even got bail is the surprise.

British citizen; the term British subject has been archaic for nearly seventy years now. But, yeah, exactly. He's not been treated in an unusual way at all. Actually, the only genuinely weird behavior has come from his legal team.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2010, 08:13:42 AM »

British citizen; the term British subject has been archaic for nearly seventy years now.

Archaic, but still a legal term.

It sounds a fairly serious crime as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2010, 08:21:41 AM »

That's what I went for archaic rather than obsolete Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »

Indeed the fact that the crimes he's accused of in Sweden might not actually constitute crimes in the UK at all

Why do people keep saying that when it is obviously not true?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »

Indeed the fact that the crimes he's accused of in Sweden might not actually constitute crimes in the UK at all

Actually I'll make a retraction in so far as the charge relating to having sex with a sleeping woman would quite probably constitute rape per British law.

The rest I'm not so sure would constitute crimes in Britain in the absence of further detail (the most likely candidate is the charge relating to violation of sexual integrity might have a correlative law in Britain - but I don't know enough about the specifics of Swedish or British law to say with any certainty).

The one about the not using the condom. If consent was conditional on the use of a condom and he didn't use one, then consent is not present. That's rape.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2010, 11:39:44 AM »

Actually I'll make a retraction in so far as the charge relating to having sex with a sleeping woman would quite probably constitute rape per British law.

The rest I'm not so sure would constitute crimes in Britain in the absence of further detail (the most likely candidate is the charge relating to violation of sexual integrity might have a correlative law in Britain - but I don't know enough about the specifics of Swedish or British law to say with any certainty).

The one about the not using the condom. If consent was conditional on the use of a condom and he didn't use one, then consent is not present. That's rape.

Especially if the woman is sleeping. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

Wait, you have a sense of humor?  Wink
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »

I was referring to one of the other accusations.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies