Jewish Electorate Institute: Biden +37 among Jewish voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:18:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Jewish Electorate Institute: Biden +37 among Jewish voters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jewish Electorate Institute: Biden +37 among Jewish voters  (Read 1484 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »
« edited: September 15, 2020, 11:08:11 PM by Bland Neoliberal Consensus Democrat »

Considering that Biden is as pro-Israel as it gets for a Democrat, this is none too good for him. Imagine what would have happened had Sanders gotten the nod.

Is someone going to tell him?

I hope the mods never ban Beet, because for every 150 race-baiting concern trolls he posts, there's at least one comedy gem like this.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 05:05:41 PM »

You're telling me that crucial Bahrain deal isn't moving the needle?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 05:11:39 PM »

The smartest group of voters in America that one cannot identify by educational or vocational attainment goes strongly anti-Trump.

Maybe not as strongly D as the Jewish vote in earlier decades, but consider that

(1) many Jews in America are converts; they changed their religious creed but never changed their politics.

(2) many Jews have the religion of one Jewish parent and the politics of the non-Jewish or convert parent.

(3) the more recent Jewish immigrants from the former Soviet Union were cut off from political trends in America and their anti-Communist attitudes put them on the Right. Likewise Jews of Middle-Eastern and North African origin.  

On the other hand... Trump is a vile, cruel, anti-intellectual fellow with a sordid sex life, none of which is Jewish. A daughter who married a Jew and converted sounds more like a rebel than anything else.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 05:59:42 PM »

As the children of Reform Jews fully assimilate into secular society, and the number of Hasidim multiplies by the second, the Jewish vote will continue to trend right.

Wait, is your point that the children of Reform Jews will stop identifying as Jewish (and therefore not count as "Jewish voters") or that the children of Reform Jews will start to hold views more in line with the average American (and therefore start voting Republican)?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 06:25:29 PM »

Conducted by Garin-Hart-Yang in the first week of September.
slothdem

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 10:26:25 PM »

As the children of Reform Jews fully assimilate into secular society, and the number of Hasidim multiplies by the second, the Jewish vote will continue to trend right.

Wait, is your point that the children of Reform Jews will stop identifying as Jewish (and therefore not count as "Jewish voters") or that the children of Reform Jews will start to hold views more in line with the average American (and therefore start voting Republican)?

He means the former. Reform Jews and their offspring are unmovable, especially in an alignment that shifts on education lines.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 10:57:58 PM »

I'm Jewish, which doesn't qualify me particularly, but here goes...

1. Location. Jewish Americans live predominantly in urban/Suburban areas. Those areas (especially the urban ones) are predominantly Democratic.

2. Social views. Reformed and Liberal Jews have social views that align with liberal mainline Protestant denominations. They were not pulled to the right like white Evangelical Protestants. Non-religious Jews (like me) also share these values.

3. Cultural views. We experience some of the "otherization" that applies to many minorities and immigrants, though nowhere near the same degree. But a Jewish American is much less likely to identify with conservative, white culture than they are to identify with other minorities and immigrants. We are likely to identify with urban, white "ethnic" groups, however, and those groups can be quite conservative. This is probably where a lot of the 30% Trump support is coming from.

4. The alt-right is repulsive, and I have seen this movement push conservative family members who were long-time Republican supporters to the Democratic side. I have no poll data, but I suspect that if you asked Jewish people, 90% of us find the alt-right terrifying, and we see echoes of things that were... unpleasant for us. Yes, you have your Ben Shapiros and your Stephen Millers, because we aren't a monolithic group.

5. Israel. Yeah. We have to talk about that. I don't even have a good grasp of Jewish American opinions on Israel. It's all over the place. I think Israel has a right to exist, and I also think that Netanyahu is an evil, blood-thirsty monster, and the West Bank settlements should be dismantled with haste. My view is probably fairly mainstream, if on the left side of mainstream. I have family in Israel. I would very much like Israel to continue to be a thing. That doesn't mean I think Likud should just get a free pass, and the US should let Israel do whatever they want. Democrats align comfortably with these views. The people who do vote Republican because Israel are Orthodox communities, and if you look at 2016 precinct maps of, say, Brooklyn, the Orthodox neighborhoods stick out like a sore thumb in deep red.

There's a whole bunch of other stuff, but I think that covers a lot of it.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 09:58:24 AM »

He means the former. Reform Jews and their offspring are unmovable, especially in an alignment that shifts on education lines.

OK, that makes sense. I'm not sure how many people there are who could identify as Jewish, but don't, but there are definitely a lot, including some in my family. Interesting question.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies