Update Season VII: "The OK Corral" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:28:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VII: "The OK Corral" (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"  (Read 173671 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »

BushKenya is becoming an architect? Don't you need to study a whole lot and hold a sh**tload of degrees in engineering and so forth to be able to draw buildings? I'm not sure I'd even step foot in a building designed by BushKenya.

There is no need to hold an engineer degree to become an architect. Building/construction engineering is a related but different field.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »

Upgrading to a computer science major sounds like the most realistic of Jeff's current ideas.

It would also improve his chances of getting into the Peace Corps, if he had a "proper" degree.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »

Upgrading to a computer science major sounds like the most realistic of Jeff's current ideas.

It would also improve his chances of getting into the Peace Corps, if he had a "proper" degree.

Funny you should say that, because the Maisha Director said the Peace Corps favors college students.  They do have older adults go, like my Kenya Teammate was at least 60 years old when she went.  I don't know her age, but she looks probably mid 60's.  But, older adults are the exception rather than the rule.

Okay, I met several Peace Corps workers in Vanuatu (Pacific) that were mid 50s and early 60s and a lot of young people in their 20s. But that's of course not necessarily representative.

I think your problem could be that you are too old (30+) to fit into the college student group and too poorly educated to be chosen in the more mature group. So finishing your degree might be the best way to go, and if you don't get in you would still have the degree.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »

Funny you should say that, because the Maisha Director said the Peace Corps favors college students.  They do have older adults go, like my Kenya Teammate was at least 60 years old when she went.  I don't know her age, but she looks probably mid 60's.  But, older adults are the exception rather than the rule.

Okay, I met several Peace Corps workers in Vanuatu (Pacific) that were mid 50s and early 60s and a lot of young people in their 20s. But that's of course not necessarily representative.

I think your problem could be that you are too old (30+) to fit into the college student group and too poorly educated to be chosen in the more mature group. So finishing your degree might be the best way to go, and if you don't get in you would still have the degree.

The Computer Science Upgrade would actually count as my second degree.  I've already got one bachelor's degree in E-Commerce.  According to the website, 90% of their jobs require a bachelor's degree.

Your bachelor in E-Commerce doesn't count as a "proper" degree. I think you have to be realistic about that.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »

BK has stopped using words lately?  Smiley

There are no words left to say in this thread, you know.

Except:

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »

Jeff in a couple of years:

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2013, 04:15:32 PM by politicus »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2013, 05:49:22 PM by politicus »

What kind of fast food outlets do they have in Kenya?

No McDonalds or Burger King, but KFC since 2011. Subway just opened down there in February. Otherwise they have good local options.

LP readers favourites: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/kenya/restaurants/fast-food

Local African fastfood is generally a lot healthier than Western.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »

There was a reason I wrote "Jeff in a couple of years" on the first Peace Corps picture post and not the second.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »

On a serious note:

Peace Corps is a longshot. Development work in general may not be. There is a huge demand for IT knowledge in many developing countries. If you upgraded your minor to a major in computer science getting hired by a development organisation is probably not an unrealistic goal. If you can get your weight problem under control (not necessarily slim, just down to a level where they wouldn't consider it a risk factor).

I just think you need to be realistic about your skill level. E-commerce was an expensive and time consuming mistake, but you gotta leave that behind you and focus on getting a degree in an internationally recognized subject that's actually useful in third world countries. Computer science is your best (fastest) bid.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 12:48:04 PM »

Only I know what is really going on (and sometimes, I'm not quite sure of that, either).

You're not as good as Bacon King.  Tongue

Nobody is as good as BK, so that's unfair criticism.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »

Nobody is as good as BK, so that's unfair criticism.

Please don't interfere while I'm busting Mr. Morden's stones.  Tongue

Nah.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »

Two ham sandwiches.  I didn't have much, but still it was enough of a lunch that I need to taper what I eat tonight.

Try just eating one sandwich, like a normal person.

I doubt one sandwich for lunch is normal. Two sandwiches is a fairly small meal for a grown man.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 01:31:55 AM »

I was unaware that it's a 'fact' that global warming is man-made.

The evidence is so overwhelming, that you have to be either a tool, in subconscious denial or an idiot not to recognize it.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2013, 06:46:07 PM by politicus »

He could do it Kenyan style...

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »

He's hiding in Granny's garage but his parents are on their own, apparently.

Where is Bushie?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »

US National Weather Service Norman Oklahoma
A tornado watch will be issued soon for much of Oklahoma and parts of north Texas. Stay alert! We expect storms to start developing between now and 2pm

Nobody else here is from that area.  Who is "we"?

Pluralis majestatis.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »

US National Weather Service Norman Oklahoma
A tornado watch will be issued soon for much of Oklahoma and parts of north Texas. Stay alert! We expect storms to start developing between now and 2pm

Nobody else here is from that area.  Who is "we"?

Pluralis majestatis.

Yes, he has a habit of that.  We, of the cognoscenti, however, avoid this behavior.  Wink

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 06:11:36 PM »

I'm okay, folks! We had to take shelter, and the hail busted Grandma's back windshield.  My car was spared.  We took shelter at the church, which is underground, but no carport or covering.

Good to hear you and your loved ones are okay.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »

Just so awful. Thoughts and prayers to all those in affected.

And people talking about diet and exercise in this situation are being way too cynical.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »

Slightly OT, but this paranoia about "OMG STRANGERS AROUND TEH CHILDRENZ!!!1!" is really overdone. Statistically, it's far more likely that these children are being abused by their own parents than by some other person like Bushie. The idea that no adult male should ever be around children who aren't his is ridiculous.

I very much agree with this.

Also, its not weird to help family or friends with their children.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2013, 12:43:10 PM by politicus »

I have switched to diet, again, primarily.  I may still have a regular pop 2-3 times a week, but the vast majority of the time, it is Diet Dr. Pepper.  My refrigerator is void of all regular pop.

It is hilarious that everyone thinks that because I had 3 hot dogs last night that I threw everything I was told earlier in the day out the window for good.  That is absolutely hilarious.  We've got a lot of comedians here. Smiley

I'm not going to follow all of her advice as she wants me to stay within 1500-1800 calories.  That is just not going to happen.  I can do 2000-2250, but I refuse to starve myself and I refuse to constantly be hungry and not be able to enjoy meal time.  She also thinks I should only have 3 oz of meat per day (the size of a smart phone).  I'm sorry, but that's only 2-3 bites.  Not going to happen.  If I want a steak, I'm going to have a steak.  Not every day, naturally, but once in a while, I will indulge in a steak.

Remember: No pain, no gain. (or in your case loss Smiley  )
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »

You should eat breakfast cereals high in fiber and protein. Rice Krisipies doesn't have fiber and only has a small amount of protein. It also has zero whole grains; it's just white rice and sugar.

What about Crispix?

Seems legit.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-crispix-i8259

You should get an account at caloriecount.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2013, 02:36:23 PM by politicus »

Getting more education is the right move IMO. The CAD in mechanics sounds good.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies