Most Polarizing State (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:14:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most Polarizing State (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most Polarizing State  (Read 17371 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« on: January 09, 2006, 11:03:22 PM »

I second, but another surprise- New Jersey.  You have very liberal areas near Philly and NYC, but some of the Pine Barren areas have the politics of States' Rights.  No joke, I've seen Confederate flags on the way to the shore.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 08:07:32 PM »

I second, but another surprise- New Jersey.  You have very liberal areas near Philly and NYC, but some of the Pine Barren areas have the politics of States' Rights.  No joke, I've seen Confederate flags on the way to the shore.

Yea, New Jersey can be quite diverse.  You've got South-Jerseyans who think and act like Southerners (mostly Southeast).  The urban liberals in Camden and Newark(Northeast and Southwest).  The hoity-toity suburban Republicans (central).  And the rural Republicans (Northwest).

Correction- South Central NJ.  Southeastern NJ are wealthy Philadelphia and New York transplants and you have a lot of people that live off US 9/GSP who have retired there from the big cities.  Another area rapidly developing is Egg Harbor/Galloway Twp. area west of Atlantic City.  You have a small percentage of New Jerseyans that act like Southerners, but they're mostly in the Pine Barrens off 5XX or 6XX County roads.  One would never think of New Jersey as a Southern state, but if you veer off NJ 47 on the way to the shore on one of the county roads, you would think you're in Mississippi. 
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 08:13:56 PM »

Yea, but there are barely any votes at all coming from out of there.  Most of the Pine Barrens are in Burlington and Atlantic counties, and they are both solidly Democratic. 

I forgot about this discussion.

Southwestern NJ is more moderate liberal-libertarian, but not overwhelmingly Democratic.  Sure Camden County is, but Burlington and Atlantic aren't really in fact Atlantic is more Republican.  True, there aren't a lot of votes coming out of that part of NJ, but it's a lot of land that closely resembles Mississippi.  South Central NJ is a northern extension of Dixie as is South Central PA.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies