Sanders, Warren, Booker sponsor bill to ban factory farming by 2040 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:31:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sanders, Warren, Booker sponsor bill to ban factory farming by 2040 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders, Warren, Booker sponsor bill to ban factory farming by 2040  (Read 3052 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 13, 2020, 04:30:30 PM »

Lots of discussion in this thread about how essential low-grade animal products are to the diets of poor people without also mentioning that the sponsors of this bill... have worked pretty consistently to expand safety net programs which include food stamps and other food security programs (not to mention health care). Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

Even so, artificial meats will quickly fall in price in the next 20 years (or, more likely, in the next five years) as basic R&D continues and as production scales up. Price comparisons (already boosted by insanely generous subsidization of corporate farming) will become much more favorable over time. On the demand side, meat consumption is going to be a cultural issue much more than any sort of issue of economic issue. The supply side is thornier.

I actually find the prospect of mass produced lab grown meat pretty disturbing. Seems to me it is devaluing animal life by treating it as merely raw material without its own identity.  I would prefer we go to eating only as many animals as we can raise or hunt while allowing them good lives of their own.

I'm not sure I understand.  How are we devaluing animal life by not killing animals for our food?

I'm not sure that's accurate: it involves creating and killing something which, on a cellular level, is animal.

Do you mean, like, yeast?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 11:06:58 PM »

I actually find the prospect of mass produced lab grown meat pretty disturbing. Seems to me it is devaluing animal life by treating it as merely raw material without its own identity.  I would prefer we go to eating only as many animals as we can raise or hunt while allowing them good lives of their own.

I'm not sure I understand.  How are we devaluing animal life by not killing animals for our food?

I'm not sure that's accurate: it involves creating and killing something which, on a cellular level, is animal.

Do you mean, like, yeast?

No?   Yeasts are fungi and afaik use of yeast doesn't require fundamentally tampering with its natural life cycle, so I'm not sure of the comparison you are making.

I'm not trying to make (or refute) any point, I just genuinely don't understand what type of "animal" cell you are describing in this process.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies