Mississippi might change the state flag tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:24:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi might change the state flag tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Mississippi might change the state flag tomorrow  (Read 6283 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2020, 05:34:33 PM »

The flag commission has narrowed the field to 9 semifinalists.

I like the state outline with the camellia the best. A full outline is not needed, and the Mississippi River is the namesake of the state. The borders with Alabama and Tennessee are pretty boring.

The camellia design is simple and on a dark background.

Ole Miss could use the same design but substitute the first line of the school cheer for the motto.

The middle design would be more appropriate for Easter Island or Springfield.

They could have permitted the artists to provide alternatives by combining design elements from the other semifinalists. They should have put all 147 first cut flags on the November ballot, and let voters approve/disapprove/neither on each one. That would likely have driven turnout through the roof.

This flag accidentally made the Top 147. It is a striking flag. Other southern states could use similar designs with boll weevils, fire ants, and chiggers.

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2020, 07:05:11 PM »

The flag on the far-right, middle row is my favorite.  Looks sort of like a film poster or album cover.

Flag #4 would be my second choice.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2020, 07:10:37 PM »

This is the most aesthetically pleasing of the finalists presented. 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2020, 08:41:25 PM »

I like the half-outline flag best, but IMO only the top-right and top-left ones aren't good. The others are all at least adequate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2020, 09:33:44 PM »

I like the half-outline flag best, but IMO only the top-right and top-left ones aren't good. The others are all at least adequate.

The main problem with the half outline flag is that except in a stiff breeze, the outline will be hidden.  It's a flag, not a logo.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2020, 10:03:50 PM »

Neither the top right or the bottom right flags featuring a tree are any good, because they look like half-assed attempts to recreate King Aragorn's royal banner of Gondor:

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2020, 11:08:14 PM »

Mike Espy and Jamie Harrison and Cal Cunningham are the beneficiaries of the removal of Confederate flags from govt not private grounds, and the Harris Veepstakes, it will be ironic and classic if they win and beat out Bullock, Jones and Bollier.  But, in a post Covid 19 environment,  due to BLM, it can happen; whereas, in a regular environment,  it wouldnt happen👍👍👍
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2020, 02:01:04 AM »

The main problem with the half outline flag is that except in a stiff breeze, the outline will be hidden.  It's a flag, not a logo.
They ought to do simulations. I bet there are some folks at MSU who could do that.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2020, 05:16:33 AM »

This is the most aesthetically pleasing of the finalists presented.  

I concur with this.
Also, Mississippi is known as the Magnolia State, it only makes sense that there is a magnolia on the flag.
Not pertinent but my city is full of magnolias too. Even more of palms. I always feel like we are a piece of Southern U.S. in exile botanically.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2020, 08:41:32 AM »

They ought to do simulations. I bet there are some folks at MSU who could do that.

or you can just use 10 seconds of google searching. https://krikienoid.github.io/flagwaver/
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2020, 09:18:32 AM »

Honestly none of the proposals are that great, but that's kind of inevitable when "In God we Trust" is a requirement.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2020, 09:21:18 AM »

Indeed, a valid point. But with a small breeze, you get a mildly pleasant "circle of stars around a magnolia flower on blue field", which is okay.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »

I hate all of these flags and wouldn’t vote for a single one, except maybe the bottom right.  Hoping the public comment period is especially scathing and the Commission will reconsider the direction it’s going
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2020, 12:19:46 PM »

I hate all of these flags and wouldn’t vote for a single one, except maybe the bottom right.  Hoping the public comment period is especially scathing and the Commission will reconsider the direction it’s going

It is a terrible idea to vote against ANY flag the Committee chooses on the basis of aesthetics. This flag situation needs to be over in November, or we've got an ugly fight on our hands over the next few years as the Confederate sympathizers try to get the old one restored.

If Mississippi votes to approve a new design in November, though, I think we dodge that bullet because the people will have spoken.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »

Bottom-middle and middle-right are probably my favorites, although they can always go with the Mississippi flag I designed in MS Paint a while back:

mgop
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2020, 12:33:32 PM »

green one is best
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2020, 06:16:07 PM »

Honestly none of the proposals are that great, but that's kind of inevitable when "In God we Trust" is a requirement.

Yeah, they really phoned in that motto.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2020, 05:49:19 AM »

Newton Knight would be so happy if he were still alive.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies