I've moved back to DC - Crumpets AMA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:24:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I've moved back to DC - Crumpets AMA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I've moved back to DC - Crumpets AMA  (Read 1203 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2022, 06:12:12 PM »

I hear the Potomac River makes for a great swim! Just ask Lorde!

No!!!! Do not swing in the Potomac river !!! It's ILLEGAL and DANGEROUS.

I'm pretty sure if you stick your hand into the Potomac, it will come out as just a skeleton.

LOL!  I know you're being facetious, but seriously, the Potomac earned a 'B' from the Potomac Conservancy report card in 2018 (though it has slipped a little since then), which is a vast improvement from just a decade ago.  Which is good news, since it is our main source of drinking water, though we are looking for backup sources in the event of a severe drought.  

Edit: And once DC is finished with its Clean Rivers Project by the end of the decade, stormwater runoff and sewage overflows will be a thing of the past.  At least as far as DC is concerned.  Alexandria is also working on building a brand new sewage system to take care of its end of the problem.  

I predict that by the 2030s at the earliest, the Potomac River should be safe enough to fish and swim in.  Among other recreational activities.  

That's really good to hear. I think a big part of the reason that the Potomac always looks so gross is just runoff from upstream and less, like, legit human-caused pollution, even if things like storm runoff and sewage obviously don't help. If you go to Great Falls on a rainy day, it looks worse than if you're in Alexandria on a nice day.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2022, 03:30:35 PM »

Have you ever been to Kabob Palace, a certified Talk Elections classic restaurant in Crystal City?

I have not! But I have had meals with Atlasians at two other places in Crystal City. I had sushi with Retromike at a place near the metro station and I went to Legal Seafoods with Retromike, Sprouts Farmers Market, and Elephantower. I think Strangeland and Turkisblau might also have joined us, but I don't remember if they were there for that specific meal.

haha they weren't there. We met up with Strangeland to go to the Air and Space Museum a few days before the Legal Seafoods dinner with Sprouts and Elephantower. Turkisblau was some separate trip with you and Sprouts.

That DC sushi was pretty bland imo, but that place you took us to in Seattle was outstanding. I think I should only have Japanese food when I'm on the west coast. One time I went to a 4 star Japanese restaurant in NYC, and it still tasted "off" to me.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 08:09:46 PM »

BIG BUMP:

Have you read any of James Mann’s books? If so, what did you think?

I asked Cath this same question, so I definitely should ask you!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies