Opinion of Young Earth Creationism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:14:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Young Earth Creationism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Pick the answer that comes closest to your view
I'm a Young Earth Creationist, so obviously positive

It has some good points, but it's probably not completely correct

I don't go around ridiculing the viewpoint, but I'm pretty firm in my view that it is incorrect

It is a dangerous viewpoint that we need to work to eradicate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Opinion of Young Earth Creationism  (Read 5348 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 26, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »

Option 3 and an unfortunate stain on Evangelicalism. 

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:36:41 PM »

My main issue with Young Earth Creationism is this: (1) people who believe in it (without a single exception I know of) are fundamentalist or evangelical Christians who believe you must accept Jesus as your personal savior (and by implication, the Bible as the Word of G-d) or else go to Hell, and who (2) believe G-d is omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving.

So, this G-d deliberately deceived his created beings by creating fossils, etc. in the earth to give it the appearance of being ancient.

If I may.... what a monster.

I chose option 3.

That's an unusual take. All the YECers I know say they're a result of Noah's flood and what not.

True, but the interpretations that requires (such as the Cretacious and Triassic fossils being buried in a difference of a matter of months, as the premier creationist organization Answers in Genesis argues) would require rates of radioisotope decay to change so quickly during the Flood Period that were it not for supernatural intervention, the Earth would explode as a result of the extreme level of radiation. released over such a quick period of time.  

That's all correct, but I'm not discussing it with them in depth. All I was commenting on is that I've never heard the "God set this up to be a test of faith argument" among the actual creationists I know.

I think mathstatman's point was that the logical implications of a young Earth would effectively make it a test of faith, not that proponents of YEC would put it that way....of course, how we define deception and how it could (if at all) apply to God is a thorny issue.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:46:48 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2017, 04:21:09 PM by Fremont Assemblyman RFayette »

Anyone who believes that evolution is fraudulent is clearly working with less brainpower than the average homo sapiens and should be brutally mocked as such.  

I know people with phD's in biology and materials engineering who hold to that position.  They are wrong, of course, but to say they all have less brainpower than average is ridiculous
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:13:18 PM »

Aren't you, again no offense, a Trump voter who ended up concluding Trump was a con artist despite plenty of evidence during the election? Smiley

Given the fact that the alternative was Hillary Clinton, I'm hardly disappointed that he won the election. I never had high expectations for his presidency, and while things could be worse, he's certainly turned out to be a con artist. But I doubt many other Republicans would have been any better than Trump in this regard. The problem is the party itself, not Trump.

And no, no one told me that you are a Democrat, but the insane hatred you have for the Republican party is really unhealthy and makes me believe you will soon be a loyal Democrat. Not that you aren't wrong when it comes to issues like abortion, but like I said, the party is the problem here, not Trump. Also, I'm not a Young Earth Creationist, but I hope you won't be too upset if one wins a Congressional race in 24 days. Tongue

Yeah, I am no YEC by any stretch (and have discussed this at length in the past), but the demonization/overgeneralizing of the people who hold such positions is really beyond the pale.  An whatever his opinion is on that topic, Gianforte is awesome and will make a great congressman.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies