Was the Weimar Republic doomed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:23:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Was the Weimar Republic doomed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was the Weimar Republic doomed?  (Read 1222 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: September 01, 2020, 06:33:47 AM »

This was very much the traditional historiographical view, but it has been challenged in recent years as imposing a backwards reading of history.

Are you referring to the Sonderweg thesis? True that that's been challenged - broadly speaking discredited actually, though still regarded as important and foundational to the historiography despite that - but historians who take a bullish view of the Republic's theoretical prospects at its foundation are still rather rare. And rightly so: what happened, happened; there is no ought in history, only did.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »

My understanding is that Peukert’s The Crisis Years of Classical Modernity has been enormously influential upon the current generation of historians and forced a re-evaluation of how successful Weimar actually was, especially during 1924-29, the “Golden Years”, as well as discrediting the thesis of “a republic without republicans”. But yes, there are probably still many who are far more negative about the Republic’s chances.

I would say that Blackbourn and Eley's work has had a bigger impact, but, sure, the 1980s saw a huge shift in attitudes to modern German history, a shift that has continued, and which was largely generational.* You can probably now count on one hand the number of historians of modern Germany who believe in the Sonderweg thesis as originally proposed, and not that many who believe in the various modified versions that have sprung up since the early 90s.

*Of course it was not actually the most high profile historiographical debate in Germany in the 1980s, but the less said about that, the better.

As for your point about hypotheticals in history, viewing everything as a series of inevitabilities is a very reductionist view, and asking about whether the Republic was doomed is not so much an exercise in alternate history as an attempt to understand its history as those who were there saw it; after all, it is they who make all history.

Ah, no. Inevitability is not a word I used, and I would agree to be wary of it. But 'ought' should be avoided as well. History does not make mistakes. If we assume otherwise then, oddly, we are not so very far removed from the old Sonderweg position, which was very much rooted in the assumption that German history had taken a deviant turn. What happened happened and one of the principle duties of the historian is to understand why. This does not mean that we cannot consider what might have been, but it ought not be the primary focus.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »

Obviously some here will already know these, but:

The left-hand map shows results by constituency, the right-hand map by State or (if Prussian) Province.

Useful reference for quick interpretation:

Incidentally, it is my intention (at some point) to extend the election map series there back into the 1920s.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies